Coronavirus | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Coronavirus

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
For informational purposes only - not to be interpreted as support for anti-vax.

Second Australian dies after blood clots linked to AstraZeneca (paywalled)

A 52-year-old woman from NSW has died after a “severe form” of blood clotting in the brain linked to the AstraZeneca vaccine.
Chief health officer Paul Kelly said it’s only the second death after 3.6 million doses administered across Australia.

“My heart goes out to the family, and all the friends and colleagues of this particular person,” Mr Kelly said on Thursday.

“In terms of the AstraZeneca rollout … it remains an incredibly important part of our vaccine rollout. The AstraZeneca vaccine, with our large numbers of doses that are available here in Australia … is absolutely key in relation to us becoming safe from Covid as a population here in Australia, and that remains the case.”

He revealed there were also four news cases of blood clots linked to AstraZeneca.

In total there have been 15 cases of serious blood clots out of 3.6 million doses.

There were another 33 confirmed or probable cases that were less serious.

“These events remain concerning and we are looking at them very closely, we are looking at it with concern including this unfortunate event in New South Wales,” Mr Kelly said.

A NSW woman, 48, died after receiving the AstraZeneca vaccine in April. The medicines regulator said her death from rare blood clots was “likely” linked to the vaccine.

ZIMteGr.jpg

The Therapeutic Goods Administration says it reviews all deaths reported after a vaccination is administered and compares them with expected natural death rates.

“To date, the observed number of deaths reported after vaccination is actually less than the expected number of deaths,” the TGA said in a statement.

“Each year in Australia, there are about 160,000 deaths, equating to 13,300 a month or 3050 each week. In the most recent reporting year, two-thirds of these deaths were in people aged 75 years and over.”

Reactions: 2 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
They seem to be learning more about the blood clots, but a lot still unknown.

I read an article recently where they were reporting from the UK a higher rate of cases as they were finding some very mild cases which are mostly not reported since the people don't bother going to hospital or a GP.

Advice above is 4-20 days, advice when I got the vaccine was 4-28 days, so I figure anywhere between 3 and 11 days to go and I'm in the clear.

Most people seem to be treatable if this happens and that will only improve.

DS

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
What is Scotty from marketing talking about? Talk up the jab you Dodo. Man is incapable of getting out of his own way.

1623315106846.png

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 4 users

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
They seem to be learning more about the blood clots, but a lot still unknown.

I read an article recently where they were reporting from the UK a higher rate of cases as they were finding some very mild cases which are mostly not reported since the people don't bother going to hospital or a GP.

Advice above is 4-20 days, advice when I got the vaccine was 4-28 days, so I figure anywhere between 3 and 11 days to go and I'm in the clear.

Most people seem to be treatable if this happens and that will only improve.

DS

Reactions: 1 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Yep, as the Alfred Hospital site says, treatments are always more difficult when a problem first turns up. Everywhere around the world is dealing with this so we are getting a lot of people getting the vaccine, a very small number of clotting cases, but also lots of learning whenever there is a case. As long as you notice the problem you can get it treated.

DS

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
I’m no doctor and what you say may well be true TBR but what I have heard from doctors is that this blood clot is different to a normal DVT type clot and that is why it’s taken a bit of time to work out how to treat it.
What people tend to forget in all this is that whilst the pandemic is happening medical research and development is continuing. The vaccines will get better and the treatments will get better. Part of the reason why COVID mortality has dropped in developed countries is simply because health professionals are continually learning more about how to treat it.

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
No-one should take medical advice from the internet or without consulting their own Dr, but just taking half a tablet of over the counter aspirin each day for the first few weeks after the vaccine will remove almost all risk of blood clots for anyone with no pre-existing conditions
As someone who has survived a blood clot after an operation you shouldn't be saying that

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Scotty knows much of his core group aren't too keen on getting the shot. That's surely the reason why he's been so tepid.
Beyond frustrating. Vaccines are our only way out of this mess.

yep. I think we have a useless Pentecostal anti-vaxxer snake oil bloke,

as PM

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Scotty knows much of his core group aren't too keen on getting the shot. That's surely the reason why he's been so tepid.

yep. I think we have a useless Pentecostal anti-vaxxer snake oil bloke,

as PM

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
i think it is also that he doesnt want the current slow roll out to be seen as an issue- they talk up any success with the numbers of people getting a shot, while downplaying the overall low numbers we have had.

Reactions: 1 user

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
I’m no doctor and what you say may well be true TBR but what I have heard from doctors is that this blood clot is different to a normal DVT type clot and that is why it’s taken a bit of time to work out how to treat it.
What people tend to forget in all this is that whilst the pandemic is happening medical research and development is continuing. The vaccines will get better and the treatments will get better. Part of the reason why COVID mortality has dropped in developed countries is simply because health professionals are continually learning more about how to treat it.
This is exactly what I have heard. The medicos are now very attuned to the symptoms and how to treat this different type of blood clot. The risk is extremely minimal but it is still there; as is the case with any medical procedures. I have also read that a healthy young woman has a higher chance of developing blood clots by taking birth control pills than people have of developing clots for AZ vaccine.

But ultimately people need to seek expert medical advice on what is best for them. If you're not sure talk to a GP.

larabee

Tiger Champion
Jun 11, 2010
Tigerland
good result.
not sure why all of Melb has to wear masks outside, but anyway.
because they still don't know the origin of the 4 cases from yesterday.
And virus fragments have turned up in several places in waste water testing.
indicates that the virus is probably still out there undetected, and they don't want more outbreaks which could lead to more lockdowns

Reactions: 4 users

BT Tiger

Staff member
Jun 5, 2005
Warragul
Dealing with a blood clot is very different to preventing a blood clot and having surgery is very different to having a vaccine.

Of course every circumstance is different, hence the ride to consult your Dr. I'm just saying people wary of a vaccine causing blood clots should also be aware that for most people, most of the time, it is an extremely easily mitigated risk via very un-invasive means.

According to Dr Norman Swan on Coronacast, taking aspirin after AZ is not recommended as the clots aren't standard blood clots.

Reactions: 3 users