Coronavirus | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Coronavirus

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
It is sad but just human reality.

I often post how beautiful this world would be without humans at all...and I mean it.
Just wait until I and my family have moved on though.

It must have been a very beautiful place before human evolution.
That God bloke has a shitload to answer for. Messed up big time by creating humans.

Reactions: 1 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005

How many lives could have been saved? How many lock downs could have been avoided?

It's not a race but it is an unmitigated disgrace.
EwZ9FK5UYAYB_31.jpg

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
I'd add the children to that list.

and this is what our next obstacle will be. 5-11 year olds are eligible for vaccination from next month. I have already had numerous arguments with anti-vaxxers on social media. The people who claim they are “pro-choice” will not give their own kids a choice. Hypocrites.

The question I have is has society always generated this level of stupidity or are we witnessing a new normal catalysed by social media. I have a mix of empathy for all involved mixed with frustration/anger at these crazies but there has to be something off for people to willingly walk and fight for their right to walk off a cliff.

Great question. I am in my mid-40's and I have never seen this level of stupidness in my lifetime.

Social media has to be a massive factor as it has given them a voice and a forum they would not have had in the past.

But the regular media and government has also been a big factor. These people have been completely enabled by the media. The Murdoch and Costello media are backing them now, you know, because “Dan is bad.” They don't care about the consequences.

As for government, You can see all of the right leaning political parties are clamouring for their vote. I see that as utter madness. Wouldn’t they be better off fighting for the vote of the other 95%+?

In addition, the USA has labelled QAnon a domestic terrorist threat. Our government needs to do something similar. But considering Morrison’s best mate is a QAnon nutter, that’ll never happen while he is PM. I am starting to become genuinely concerned right wing extremism will turn into domestic terrorism in Australia if a tougher stance isn’t made soon.

Reactions: 5 users

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
I think its because the sub-editors can't think of any decent alliteration to go with Steve?
"Marshall Law". It writes itself!

How many lives could have been saved? How many lock downs could have been avoided?

It's not a race but it is an unmitigated disgrace.
No coincidence Hunt's leaving to "spend more time with his family". He might not be as big a *smile* as Scummo and Dutton, but he's just as useless.

On the stupids, I said ages ago and stand by it, if Covid thins the ranks of Trumpists, QAnoners and "Freedom Fighters", it will have had a silver lining.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
I have already had numerous arguments with anti-vaxxers on social media.

Why? Are you really that bored? These guys want debate, they want attention. Ignore them as you would other idiots.

Reactions: 3 users

A Tiger in Denmark
Aug 9, 2003
Denmark
www.dafl.dk
Social media has to be a massive factor as it has given them a voice and a forum they would not have had in the past.
This.
There is also a pride factor. Social media puts the anti-vaxxers into a position where they have publicly and without any doubt whatsoever declared their hand, and that would be a pretty big wall to climb down from no matter what the consequences. Before the internet, they might have told a few friends but when the storm passed everything would be forgotten.
I also think there is a sense of "this is my time to shine" for them. An opportunity to portray themselves as somewhat more enlightened than the norm.

I have been a semi-keen facebook user over the years but have come to view it as absolute poison when used for anything other than a bit of fun.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
This.
There is also a pride factor. Social media puts the anti-vaxxers into a position where they have publicly and without any doubt whatsoever declared their hand, and that would be a pretty big wall to climb down from no matter what the consequences. Before the internet, they might have told a few friends but when the storm passed everything would be forgotten.
I also think there is a sense of "this is my time to shine" for them. An opportunity to portray themselves as somewhat more enlightened than the norm.

I have been a semi-keen facebook user over the years but have come to view it as absolute poison when used for anything other than a bit of fun.
Not just publicity but everything they sprout will be validated and liked by other ivermividiots. They can literally make up stuff and have people comment that they've heard it too etc etc

Reactions: 1 user

A Tiger in Denmark
Aug 9, 2003
Denmark
www.dafl.dk
On the stupids, I said ages ago and stand by it, if Covid thins the ranks of Trumpists, QAnoners and "Freedom Fighters", it will have had a silver lining.
I have read facebook threads, mostly involving Americans, where the pro-vaxxers can be just as nasty and vitriolic as the anti. One claiming, not as sarcastically as you might think, that Covid was the best thing to happen to the USA for decades for the exact reason you mention above.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
Why? Are you really that bored? These guys want debate, they want attention. Ignore them as you would other idiots.

Not boredom. If you jump on any of the major Australian media pages, you’ll see these idiots/trolls everywhere spreading their bulldust. From a perspective of principle, part of me feels like I have an obligation to make an effort to restore some balance to these arguments. These people need to have their lies/ignorance challenged.

• Haha

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
So... I have COVID. I was diagnosed earlier tonight.

Before anyone asks, I am ok.

I don't know the exact source who transmitted it, but working through the timeline, I believe I know when it happened.

But I am very worried about the idea of infecting others. :(

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 11 users

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017

I don't know the exact source who transmitted it, but working through the timeline, I believe I know when it happened.

All the best for a swift recovery Ian.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Hope you recover well Ian, or don't get sick enough to have to recover. The case numbers in Melbourne are persistently around 1,000 so there must be a fair bit of COVID roaming around the community and I suspect a fair few of us all will get it eventually.

Keep well.

DS

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne

Good luck Ian, I was told that if you're double vaxxed the possibility of getting very sick is very slim. As far as infecting others is concerned I'm not too sure but I think it's less so than being unvaxxed.
My BIL & SIL who were single vaxxed when they contracted Covid recently said that it felt like they'd had a very bad case of the flu, they've since recovered pretty well, apart from a loss of taste & smell which lasted for a couple of weeks. They're both now fit & well, apart from the BIL who had knee replacement surgery yesterday. :oops:

I hope you don't suffer too many symptoms from it & recover quickly. I'll be thinkingof you over then next little while.

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria

Hope you’re on top of it soon, Ian. My BIL, who was double vaxxed got it, said it felt like a cold for a couple of days. The entire family got it. My SIL didn’t even know she had it, and neither did their single vaxxed daughter (recently turned 12), the 8 yo son also felt like he had a cold. If you’ve picked it up early that will also lessen the chances of having inadvertently passed it on.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003

You've been out n about hanging around with those seething masses of barbaric unwashed heathens at the soccer again haven't you Binman? See what happens when you hang around street corners with that dubious rabble. :peepwall :))

Get well soon Binman, hope ya don't get to crook n dodgy.

• Haha

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
You've been out n about hanging around with those seething masses of barbaric unwashed heathens at the soccer again haven't you Binman? See what happens when you hang around street corners with that dubious rabble. :peepwall :))

Get well soon Binman, hope ya don't get to crook n dodgy.

Actually, yep. I am reasonably certain it was the A-League game at AAMI Park last Sunday. Everything seems to fit.

< Golf | TV shows >