Coronavirus | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Coronavirus

vinpaul

Tiger Matchwinner
Apr 26, 2009
You say the Vaccine campaign has been going for 2 years with no end in sight. BTW, it's not 2 years. Scotty got his Pfizer shot in Feb last year so it's been less than 12 months and we have a vaccination rate in the 90's.

Norm and "Life. Be in it", the start of the healthy lifestyle push, is 47 years old, and the rates of obesity are getting worse.

Doesn't take a Brain Scientist to see which approach has more chance of success.
I’m saying the pandemic has been going for two years. Lost of time to make positive changes. Lockdowns, the closing of gyms and limits of time spent outside have all had a negative impact on overall health and obesity levels. I’m not talking about whether lockdowns are warranted or not just stating one of their effects.

The world has not experienced a worldwide pandemic in the last 47 yrs (until this one). Maybe the campaign effort throughout that time has been inadequate and maybe if some very smart people were to do it properly they could come up with much better initiatives than what l come up with off the top of my head (damn hope so).

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
There are definite issues with obesity but they are not as simple as people make out. Some people have enormous problems losing weight. There are those with injuries and conditions which preclude going to the gym or limit exercise options. The fast food industry is powerful and there is little or no regulation. Plus, if you do prepare most of your own food you literally have to take a good look at the nutrition labels of just about everything in order to work out what is actually in lots of products. We probably all eat too much processed food. I know I don't eat take away all that often and haven't been to McDonalds for over 40 years and have never been to KFC. But even then it can be hard not to gain weight with all the processed foods around. Lately as I have Meniere's I have to look at every processed food packet I buy to look at the sodium content, you would be absolutely stunned at the amount of sodium in many foods, just massive amounts. I hate to think of the fat content in a lot of take away foods. Obesity will not be tackled until some government grows the backbone to take on the fast food and processed food industries, I expect to see pigs fly before that happens. Plus we have to consider that a lot of people just have real trouble losing weight, while others can eat what they like and not put on weight. This is not as simple as some education campaign, but Western diets are not healthy diets, and we do have to change things.

Seeing the infection numbers in NSW today, COVID is totally out of control and a complete mess. Not enough tests, let it rip and look at the result.

I cannot believe that the bunch of incompetents in Canberra are a chance at the next election, but I suppose when the vast majority of the media are on your side it does make a difference.

DS

Reactions: 1 user

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
I’m saying the pandemic has been going for two years. Lost of time to make positive changes. Lockdowns, the closing of gyms and limits of time spent outside have all had a negative impact on overall health and obesity levels. I’m not talking about whether lockdowns are warranted or not just stating one of their effects.

The world has not experienced a worldwide pandemic in the last 47 yrs (until this one). Maybe the campaign effort throughout that time has been inadequate and maybe if some very smart people were to do it properly they could come up with much better initiatives than what l come up with off the top of my head (damn hope so).

I think everyone agrees obesity is bad and we should be doing stuff about that anyway. It doesn't have the direct correlation with the pandemic and morbidity that you argue it does, and any changes we make in that area will not impact on our current and medium-term issues with the pandemic.

tommystigers

Don't Boo! It is hurtful to the inept and corrupt.
Oct 6, 2004
What happened in Poland in 1936??
Intellectuals were organising and trying to rally the people against the danger of Fascism and Nazism.
In simple terms the Government did nothing. The actual battle was lost in about a week in 1939 but they were defeated years earlier by inaction and a belief that the UK and France could protect them and that their antiquated military doctrine would suffice. The Polish forces were fierce and no cowards but mounted cavalry with lances for weapons are not exactly going to prevail against divisions of panzers. The Polish government were not the only ones that did nothing but watch.

The QLD Govt failed to prepare against a known threat and the community are suffering the consequence. They actually closed most testing clinics over the holiday period just after they opened the border with Omicron ramping up. For Anastacia to say it is a shock that 6 people died in the past day is a fish slap in the face to their families. What a farce.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

RoarEmotion

Tiger Champion
Aug 20, 2005
Getting vaccinated is now a 30 min round trip to the chemist. (X3)

Losing weight is a multi month lifestyle change driven by an individuals’ desire to change with appropriate support (it took me about 8 months to undo a decade Of small bad choices using TWD (csiro). I’d argue that 95% of it is diet - and you need to know what to do and be willing to stick with it.

Clearly we should focus on getting vaccinated - Eg taxing the unvax like Quebec / educating the hesitant etc etc vs putting resources into obesity reduction programs. (Btw TWD first 12 weeks is free if you follow the rules - 100% refund) And is already there.
BBAE2E71-9A64-4E5F-AD60-E2548E48779E.jpeg

Resources are limited and when you pick multiple things you take away from somewhere else.

vinpaul

Tiger Matchwinner
Apr 26, 2009
Intellectuals were organising and trying to rally the people against the danger of Fascism and Nazism.
In simple terms the Government did nothing. The actual battle was lost in about a week in 1939 but they were defeated years earlier by inaction and a belief that the UK and France could protect them and that their antiquated military doctrine would suffice. The Polish forces were fierce and no cowards but mounted cavalry with lances for weapons are not exactly going to prevail against divisions of panzers. The Polish government were not the only ones that did nothing but watch
Don’t know about the comparison. Poland only regained its independence following WWI. Not sure they could have done anything in that time to successfully defend against a concurrent attack from both sides by Germany and Russia. Anyway, probably bit off topic....

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Moron. Why are politicians so inept?
Because they are nigh on all puppets doing the bidding of their masters.

They are Party Puppets planted in the system to keep the show going, and they are not in there working for you or your best interests.

You are working for theirs.

Party Politics has ensured and will continue to ensure it remains the status quo.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users