Coronavirus | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Coronavirus

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
What's happening in the US who are experiencing death rates of about 2,000 a day during the past month or so. Compare this to places like India (approx 400) and Brazil (approx 200) who have much lower vax rates. A correlation to obesity rates most likely.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Morrison casually dropping into the conversation the fact that you can repeatedly get the Omicron variant had me wondering what's the end game here?
The 'Let it RIP' policy was initially portrayed as a way out of this wave & to make this endemic but if we have a country draped in rolling sickness then it's going to be very hard to reignite the economy. Not to mention the drain on the public purse of Australians suffering the health effects of ongoing long covid symtoms.

Also NSW CHO was asked how many deaths of Delta vs Omicron. Dr Chant was unable to answer the question. Also why are so many vaccinated people dying?
Pretty pertinent questions in setting policy but she was unable to give clear answers. I found that pretty concerning especially with such low 3 x vaxxed numbers.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
The whole world is letting it rip TOO - the daily cases are up to 3M (reported) per day. I was watching an EPL game this morning where the crowd was packed to the rafters - The UK is averaging over 100K cases per day and approx 300 deaths. The US is averaging 2k deaths and there are minimal restrictions.

Last edited:

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
What's happening in the US who are experiencing death rates of about 2,000 a day during the past month or so. Compare this to places like India (approx 400) and Brazil (approx 200) who have much lower vax rates. A correlation to obesity rates most likely.

Obesity is the new ivermectin

Reactions: 3 users

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
I don’t see 2022 being any easier than the previous 2 years. Maybe even worse for a period. There’s going to be rolling infection, sickness and death for some time. Omicron is just so super highly contagious affecting the masses beyond anything like Delta, plus it has a strong re infection capability. How long this goes on for, who knows. All depends on saturation of infection (herd) and it’s smoothed out nature or not, new vaccines and anti virals and accessibility and dispensing timelines associated with them and so on.

I hope the football club is acutely aware that Omicron infection control in 2022 is going to be as important as injury management - maybe even more so. If the story last week about us having 11 players infected was correct, that’d be disastrous in season.

The club that can manage Omicron risk the best this year will be at a decided advantage.

Gee I’m not even sure if the season might become farcical anyway…who knows.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
I hope the football club is acutely aware that Omicron infection control in 2022 is going to be as important as injury management - maybe even more so. If the story last week about us having 11 players infected was correct, that’d be disastrous in season.

An article said one club was disregarding the 7 day release from ISO and instead doing 10 days.

I agree, I am not going near anyone that is released on day 7, my nephew had it and has just been released and he is in a family of 5 who have been returning negative RAT tests whilst also isolating, i will not be rushing over for a family BBQ

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
I don’t see 2022 being any easier than the previous 2 years. Maybe even worse for a period. There’s going to be rolling infection, sickness and death for some time. Omicron is just so super highly contagious affecting the masses beyond anything like Delta, plus it has a strong re infection capability. How long this goes on for, who knows. All depends on saturation of infection (herd) and it’s smoothed out nature or not, new vaccines and anti virals and accessibility and dispensing timelines associated with them and so on.

If everyone in Australia goes on a diet this month, we'll be fine.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
The whole world is letting it rip TOO - the daily cases are up to 3M (reported) per day. I was watching an EPL game this morning where the crowd was packed to the rafters - The UK is averaging over 100K cases per day and approx 300 deaths. The US is averaging 2k deaths and there are minimal restrictions.
Those two countries aren't the whole world believe it or not. Many Asian countries continue to apply health measures that mitigate the spread.
Unfortunately the West is learning the hard way because our cultures are unfamiliar with airborne respiratory diseases. Ultimately it's a case of 'Me' vs 'We'.

Reactions: 1 users

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Moron. Why are politicians so inept?
Politicians are just people who happen to run for office, in fact there is a strong argument that that the most competent people don’t run for office because they are out and about doing real jobs.

I have met quite a few politicians and to be honest I have not been impressed by the most of them. Why would we expect a lawyer to be a great health minister or an investment banker to be an expert in social services etc etc?

These issues were handled in the past by ministers having advisers who really understood the domain in which they advised and by them listening to advice they get from their departments. That has moved now to advisers being political sycophants and 28 year olds who have never worked anywhere advising on policy.

This is not unique to one party or another, it’s happening everywhere

Reactions: 5 users

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004

more to do endemicity and much lower test rates.

Sone estimates of excess deaths in Uttar Pradesh claimed only 10% of covid deaths were recorded as such.

In poor countries people die in villages and are buried or cremated. That's it.

Reactions: 1 user

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne

Sone estimates of excess deaths in Uttar Pradesh claimed only 10% of covid deaths were recorded as such.

Yeah, I've been to Uttar Pradesh. The only numbers I'd trust out of there are the cricket scores.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

Tiger Rob

Tiger Superstar
Jul 30, 2009
Hobart
Also NSW CHO was asked how many deaths of Delta vs Omicron. Dr Chant was unable to answer the question. Also why are so many vaccinated people dying?
Pretty pertinent questions in setting policy but she was unable to give clear answers. I found that pretty concerning especially with such low 3 x vaxxed numbers.

Here in Tas the gov reports new cases, no. of cases in hospital with covid and no. of cases in hospital BECAUSE of covid. No other state is doing this. All you are seeing is number of cases in hospital with covid and number of deaths with covid, but not how many are in hospital BECAUSE of covid and dying BEACAUSE of covid. There is a very big difference. Double, triple, quadriple vaxed, you can still get stabbed, have a heart attack, be involved in a car accident, die of cancer, etc. Get my point?

FYI, here in Tas we are getting 1000 - 1200 new cases per day and no. of people in hospital BECAUSE of covid is staying consistent at only 4 or so. ie. no new hospitalisations.

Reactions: 2 users

shad

Tiger Champion
Apr 6, 2010
Castlemaine

I read a study from Indonesia where it was shown that the official figure were more than 50 times higher than what was reported. Not sure about deaths though.

Reactions: 1 user

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
I read a study from Indonesia where it was shown that the official figure were more than 50 times higher than what was reported. Not sure about deaths though.

sounds about right :)

The best part about the antivax brigaders going on about developing countries having lower test/hospital/death rates is it pretty much confirms that they've never set foot in any of these countries and know nothing about the realities of people living there.

In Indonesia it's around the average person's monthly salary to get a PCR test. Would you get the PCR or feed the kids and pay the rent for the month? And if you die in the village, people say "ina illahi wa ina illahi rajaun" (To Allah we belong and to Allah we return), clean you up, drop you in the ground within 12 hours, job done. No Covid test required.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 6 users