Coronavirus | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Coronavirus

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Morrison casually dropping into the conversation the fact that you can repeatedly get the Omicron variant had me wondering what's the end game here?
The 'Let it RIP' policy was initially portrayed as a way out of this wave & to make this endemic but if we have a country draped in rolling sickness then it's going to be very hard to reignite the economy. Not to mention the drain on the public purse of Australians suffering the health effects of ongoing long covid symptoms.

Also NSW CHO was asked how many deaths of Delta vs Omicron. Dr Chant was unable to answer the question. Also why are so many vaccinated people dying?
Pretty pertinent questions in setting policy but she was unable to give clear answers. I found that pretty concerning especially with such low 3 x vaxxed numbers.

Repeated infections does make the argument about letting COVID become endemic simply wrong. If infection does not lead to immunity for those who survive then we have to control infection. As for so many people who are vaccinated dying, I'm not sure of the figures, but this is to be expected as the vaccinated outnumber the unvaccinated at least 19 to 1 amongst adults, so, eventually the vaccinated will become the majority of those dying. It's just that there will be a lot less deaths overall.

The big numbers keep coming in and this is with inadequate testing. Who knows how this will continue.

DS

Reactions: 2 users

RoarEmotion

Tiger Champion
Aug 20, 2005
My summary of this is if you get a very mild version then a large dose you can get it twice.

Heard Chant this morning say 50% of NSW will likely get it.

Whatever the case, being vaccinated helps our healthcare system and you would think in almost all cases the individual.

This is the message we hopefully send with the dokavic decision and nothing about his individual personal risk. Even just the money spent on the court stuff with him could have purchased plenty of RATs for the population.

Moving to endemic is going to take some time. My guess would be a massive wave now for the next month or two whilst the majority of the population gets it, then some smaller waves as some reinfection takes place. Any new variant and it’s potentially 52 card pickup. Not buying any tourism related stocks.

I expect we eventually move away from isolation requirements altogether (once more endemic) and the hospitals aren’t as crowded.

Coburgtiger

Tiger Champion
May 7, 2012
I read this study.

Interesting, definitely.

Worth noting that the tested compounds are inactivated by heat, and need to be ingested, not smoked.

Also worth noting that this had been tested on cell cultures only, and the authors note that although the tested dose may be tolerable in people, it still hasn't even passed animal testing for safety, let alone efficacy.

Having said that, the two compounds tested seem extremely effective at preventing entry of covid into cells, on a variety of variants. Although it wasn't tested on omicron, it's results on alpha and delta and the pseudo virus suggest it would be effective in the same conditions on omicron.

At this stage, it should be considered interesting, investigate further.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Surprised Harry and Vin haven't jumped on the urine therapy angle yet, seems to have replaced losing dieting and gym membership as the latest miracle cure ..

Losing weight is hard but drinking your own *smile* each morning is simple and effective.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
I read this study.

Interesting, definitely.

Worth noting that the tested compounds are inactivated by heat, and need to be ingested, not smoked.

Also worth noting that this had been tested on cell cultures only, and the authors note that although the tested dose may be tolerable in people, it still hasn't even passed animal testing for safety, let alone efficacy.

Having said that, the two compounds tested seem extremely effective at preventing entry of covid into cells, on a variety of variants. Although it wasn't tested on omicron, it's results on alpha and delta and the pseudo virus suggest it would be effective in the same conditions on omicron.

At this stage, it should be considered interesting, investigate further.

You're no fun!

DS

shad

Tiger Champion
Apr 6, 2010
Castlemaine
Surprised Harry and Vin haven't jumped on the urine therapy angle yet, seems to have replaced losing dieting and gym membership as the latest miracle cure ..

Losing weight is hard but drinking your own *smile* each morning is simple and effective.
It's a big deal in India. I'm pretty sure that Nehru (India's first PM) swore by it. I knew a German girl who lived up in the Himalayas who practised it every morning and she reckoned that she hadn't had a cold in eight years.

artball

labels are for canned food
Jul 30, 2013
It's a big deal in India. I'm pretty sure that Nehru (India's first PM) swore by it. I knew a German girl who lived up in the Himalayas who practised it every morning and she reckoned that she hadn't had a cold in eight years.
I think it's called 'Shivambu Kalpa' Shad. Part of the Ayurvedic medicine of India - natural medicine that goes back way over 1000 years. The urine of some animals is also used, in particular the cow. Personally not for me, but I've seen it practiced.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
The urine of some animals is also used, in particular the cow.
Bloody well hard enough drinking warm beer. Absolutely certain I'm not gunna try drinking second hand warm beer or cow pee either for that matter. Definitely some weird thought processes getting around when we start thinking of bubbling as a cure for various ailments.

• Haha

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Reactions: 1 users

IanG

Tiger Legend
Sep 27, 2004
Melbourne
So because other countries handled it badly that means its OK that we stuffed it up? When we had advice in October last year that RATs would be needed.

Last edited: