Coughlan relieved (Herald Sun) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Coughlan relieved (Herald Sun)

mightytiges

The greatest Tiger of them all - Jack Dyer R.I.P.
Dec 16, 2002
Coughlan relieved
27 July 2003 AFL
Herald-Sun
By MARK HARDING

WHEN budding superstar Chris Judd re-signed with West Coast this week, it wasn't only Eagles supporters who were smiling.

Star Richmond midfielder Mark Coughlan also breathed a sigh of relief.

The rumour mill in football-mad Melbourne had the 21-year-old put out as trade bait, along with Richmond's first-round draft pick, in a bid to lure Judd to Tigerland.

Coughlan had heard the rumour and, despite being put at ease by coach Danny Frawley, admitted it had been a distraction. "I knew that it was only a rumour because West Coast weren't going to give up Chris Judd too easily," Coughlan said.

"But . . . it still did play on my mind – it was a distraction I didn't need. If anything, it was extra motivation to play well."

It obviously worked. Coughlan had averaged 26 possessions in the four matches leading into last night's match against the Western Bulldogs.

Not that he had any reason to worry if you listen to Frawley.

"There was a couple of rumours that Judd wanted to come home and Coughlan was a WA boy and that would be an obvious swap," Frawley said.

"But we want to grow and develop our list, so there is no way we would let Mark Coughlan go."

It is a sentiment shared by his housemate, injured Richmond captain Wayne Campbell, who rates Coughlan as the best player the club has drafted in the past five years.

"When you pick one like that and you get him at a reasonably low draft pick (25), you don't give him up," Campbell said.

Despite the Tigers' lowly ladder position, Coughlan is keen to play out his career in the black and yellow.

"I've developed a feeling for the jumper in the past three years," he said.

"We haven't enjoyed success since I have been here and I want to be at the club when we are winning and in the finals.

"We showed at the start of the year that when we have our best team playing we are capable of winning."

mightytiges

The greatest Tiger of them all - Jack Dyer R.I.P.
Dec 16, 2002
TigersGoddess said:
Either I'm blind or that article is not in today's herald sun. Can anyone tell me what page?

The article was on the Herald-Sun website TG.

TigersGoddess

Sing it Loud
Dec 17, 2002
Punt Road Oval
Yeah I saw it on the net I just thought they only put articles that were in the paper on the site. Damn and there I was hoping for another picture of Cogs to add to my collection :rollin

cogs_is_sexy24

Tiger Rookie
Jul 12, 2003
Melbourne
mightytiges said:
Despite the Tigers' lowly ladder position, Coughlan is keen to play out his career in the black and yellow.

"I've developed a feeling for the jumper in the past three years," he said.

thank god!

yeh tigersgoddess....i know what u mean...i want more pics!!! haha ;D HE'S SO HOT!!! (oh yeh, and definetly one of the best players on the team!)