Couglan a true champion | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Couglan a true champion

Future Tiger Champ

Tiger Cub
Jul 17, 2003
I went to the game today against essendon, and have to point out the obvious, Mark Couglan is a Champ. A player on a losing side getting 34 disposals isnt something that happens often in A.F.L footy.
Its just too bad that the other players wearing the Yellow and Black didnt stand up and give him a hand!!

not only did Coughlan get 34 disposals, they were gained against on the best teams in the AFL.

Coughlan is going to rewrite Richmonds history books this year, when he becomes our youngest ever Best & Fairest winner.

Something he has earnt.

Coughlan is true class and going to be a Tiger Legend.

Collingwood can keep Cloke, I'd take Coughlan any day. Notice we dont read anything about why didnt Richmond recruit Cloke in the papers.

I totally agree with you nw, 34 poss. against quality opposition is extremely good. Im with you too on saying that richmond did well picking him over cloke!
I would be very surprised if he didnt win the B&F, and maybe in a few years a brownlow would look good around his neck!

nwonash said:
they were gained against on the best teams in the AFL.

I wouldn't say essendon are one of the best teams in the AFL. With the way we played today if essendon were one of the best teams they would have flogged us by 10 goals or more. Even the essendon supporter who sat behind me today thought that essendon played *smile* and that they would get knocked out of the finals in the first week.

coughlan is definetly a champ. he is awesome, and as you guys said, to get 34 disposals in a losing side, agianst one of the best sides in the league at the moment, that is pretty phenomenal. he went into the contest today hard and tough. i only watched it on tv, but everywhere you looked, there he was, making an impact. i just wish the other players would take a good look at him and take a leaf out of his book. and plus, he's only young, so he's just going to get better and better as the years go on.

he's gonna win B&F, no doubt about it!

Essendon have one of the Best foward lines in the comp is not the best.

Essendon were hit pretty hard by injuries this year. They have won 7 of the last 8.

I personally believe they are the best Melbourne based clubs. Watch out for them in the finals.

Essendon are in no way the best Victorian team in the league. The pies are hands down. i wouldnt even say eesendon are one of the best teams in the leauge at the moment. TG was spot on if the bummers are one of the best sides they would have flogged us. but they didnt. Essedon wont go very far this year...

essendon is crap and they wont make it further than the perlimenary final. we should have beaten them today

Maybe you were watching a different game Vadim because there's no way we should have beaten them. I don't think they'll go far in the finals but they're a hell of a lot better than us.

I guess time will tell who the best Victorian team is.

Round 22 Collingwood v Essendon, I am sure this will be a great game.

But its finals and grand finals that people will always remember.

I agree. Coughlan is probably the best player we have recruited in ten years. I just hope he keeps his head down and wants to remain at Richmond for the rest of his career. Hopefully he will continue to work his guts out and within a few years he could be equivalent of a current day Michael Voss.

Hopefully he will not let all the praise that I and others have given him go to his head.

If there is one player to structure a complete team aroung its Coughlan.This guy is the key to ten years of success or failure. Richo was once the so-called messiah, then it was Bowden, then Otto. None have consistently been able to give what was promised. This kid actually has the talent up front & has the footy brain already. He is the "package" now, not hoped to be in a few years like all the rest.

Carlton made Kernahan captain at a very young age, sound decision.Let him have 1 more year then give him the job.

This kid is pure class, and is just about our only successful draft pick in 10 years.

I'd love 3 more of him thanks !!!!!

also living with campbell was a great move and full credit should go to wayne in taking him on board because we all know Cogs will be the next captain.

As I've said before, the recruiting staff could have taken both Coughlan AND Cloke... ie first round pick on Cogs, and the second roung pick on Cloke. The mistake was taking Pettifer ahead of both of them.