Counting down the top 10 quarters of 2019 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Counting down the top 10 quarters of 2019

What was your favourite quarter of 2019?

• 1. 3rd quarter vs Geelong, preliminary final

Votes: 43 75.4%
  • 2. 3rd quarter vs Brisbane, qualifying final

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • 3. 2nd quarter vs GWS, grand final

• 4. 2nd quarter vs WCE, round 22

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5. 4th quarter vs WCE, round 22

Votes: 3 5.3%
  • 6. 1st quarter vs Carlton, round 1

• 7. 3rd quarter vs GWS, grand final

Votes: 5 8.8%
  • 8. 4th quarter vs Port Adelaide, round 4

• 9. 1st quarter vs Gold Coast, round 16

• 10. 1st quarter vs Collingwood, round 19

• Total voters

Number8

Tiger Superstar
Oct 12, 2010
Melbourne
Was there. The final 10 minutes were pulsating.

Yeah, wonder in retrospect if I ranked that one too low. Grandstand finish and an against-the-odds win. I remember barely being able to suppress the cries of delight at the final siren while the family slept!

JimJessTorp

Barrels it!
May 20, 2009
An armchair in Sydney
I chose your option number 1. Watching on telly from Sydney and knowing the deficit at quarter time I had a feeling in my gut that the lads would be OK. Sure enough, Q2 and then Q3 proved that they had what was necessary. Perhaps accentuated by Dusty's response to Flopsy's dive and subsequent goal, resulting in him going missing for the rest of the match. Perhaps only surpassed for footy theater by Marlion's 360, his GF goal and Salty's press conference after the divers lost the PF.

Great thread 8's.

Reactions: 1 user

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
Great reading @Number8 ...... made me rewatch my season highlight which like many is also your No1
Can't recall how many times I've watched from around 8 and half minutes remaining in Q3 for the following 60 seconds where the ball is in perpetual motion, with so many players contributing miniture acts of brilliance, culminating in Tommy Lynch marking it from Dion, but it being paid as a free.
That roar as he marked was the closest to our 1st goal in the 2017 prelim I reckon. It was like.... that's it.... nothing can stop us now...... and it didn't! :)

• Love
Reactions: 1 users

backpocketplumber

Tiger Rookie
May 19, 2014
Great read, well written......one of the better threads of the off season for me. I appreciate the effort in putting it together 8. I’ve lost count of the number of times I’ve watched Q3 of the PF. I think I’ll head back to the well tonight.

On second thoughts I’m going to work through the list from 1 to 10.

Reactions: 4 users

Disco

Tiger Champion
Dec 4, 2004
Melbourne
Great reading @Number8 ...... made me rewatch my season highlight which like many is also your No1
Can't recall how many times I've watched from around 8 and half minutes remaining in Q3 for the following 60 seconds where the ball is in perpetual motion, with so many players contributing miniture acts of brilliance, culminating in Tommy Lynch marking it from Dion, but it being paid as a free.
That roar as he marked was the closest to our 1st goal in the 2017 prelim I reckon. It was like.... that's it.... nothing can stop us now...... and it didn't! :)
That Dion to Tom passage really was an amazing moment. It reminds me of Cotchins pick up, spin and goal against Geelong in the 2017 QF. Gives me a buzz.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Great selection but there are a few other quarters to mention.
The last quarter of the prelim was also pretty special, it was awesome being there.
The 1st quarter of the round 23 game against the lions was brilliant footy
A special mention to the 2nd quarter of the qualifying final as well

Number8

Tiger Superstar
Oct 12, 2010
Melbourne
Agree with all that, Sin, especially in regard to the 1st quarter of the R23 game.

In fact, I even wrote that one up because I expected it would make the top 10. But in the end I just couldn't find a place for it.

I'll post the report in a moment.

Number8

Tiger Superstar
Oct 12, 2010
Melbourne
Honourable mention: 1st quarter vs Brisbane, round 23

The scoreline

6.2 to 2.1

The highlight
Jack Riewoldt snagging four goals in a single term was almost as stunning as the series of missile-like passes to him that gave Marcus Adams no chance of effecting a spoil. The chain of play with around nine minutes left on the clock is spectacular; Vlastuin from deep in defence to Castagna to Soldo to Martin then an unstoppable dart from Dusty to Jack for his first goal. It’s followed 15 seconds later by an equally incredible high-pressure kick by Prestia to Riewoldt for his second. A stunning minute of play.

The lowlight
Lachie Neale getting the post-game plaudits for the most ineffectual 51-disposal game you would ever see.

Watch for...
The first two goals of the game are instructive.

The Lions got the first with an impressive chain of possession that was marked by dinky kicks and use of the deep wings and pockets at the ‘G. The Tigers’ first goal was a completely different thing altogether. A great centre square contest by Ivan Soldo, the ball bobbles around for a moment, a sharp Dion Prestia forward handball to Dustin Martin on the burst out of the guts followed by a long-bomb goal from 55.

The Lions’ method involved significantly more work, while the Tigers seemed to kick goals with effortless ease through far more direct play. Notably, a very similar contrast in styles played out the following week at the 'Gabba.

Summary
On a cold but fine afternoon, 76,995 people hit the ‘G for this pivotal clash that would decide if the Tigers could finally bed down a top 4 spot. While the Lions made a decent fist of fighting out the game, the quarter time margin was a gap too big for them to bridge, especially away from home.

Prestia was at his creative best, Caddy owned the outer wing and the defensive effort was near-about flawless during the first 30 minutes, with a special mention to Nick Vlastuin for his courageous intercept marking.

This game and the qualifying final a week later would show just how far ahead of the Lions our boys were in 2019… and it was quite a distance.

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
Lachie Neale getting the post-game plaudits for the most ineffectual 51-disposal game you would ever see.

I agree @Number8 ........ Lachie Neale:mhihi
Champion DoDo should have a category for getngive-getbackngiveback, rinse and repeat... there's 10% of his possessions in one passage of play! Him and Tom Mitchell on the podium.
Can't say I've ever seen or heard the level of excitement rise within the crowd in anticipation of him doing something special.
Unlike Dusty barging through a couple of them to snap that goal early in the last. I'll take 1 Martin touch to 3 of his any day of the week!

Btw... the big fella continued to grow in confidence and demonstrate to Dimma that he's best 22.
Part of the reason I'm a big rap for Ivan is that he's obviously had to work so hard on his game to get to where he is. Not some cellar dweller team he broke into here.:)

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Thanks for that Number8, a very enjoyable read.

In your review of the GF, you gave Richo an honourable mention in your lowlight.

"The lowlight
Really hard to find one but I reckon the coaches would have been a little disappointed that Dion Prestia was blanketed in this term by Matt de Boer. The meatball dominated in quarter one but couldn’t shake the tag to have anything like a similar influence in this term.

Honourable mention to our own Richo in commentary for this pearl: BT asks, “What are you feeling, Richo? Do you feel like the Tigers are getting on top and are gunna bust this wide open shortly?” Richo replies, “Ah, no, I feel like the Giants have had a good little patch here, BT”. At that point it’s 35 to 11 and the Giants wouldn't score another goal for quite some time, only bagging two more majors for the match. No great analyst of the game is our Richo!"

I think Richo was right and wrong in his answer to BT. There must have been a period of almost 15 minutes between Lynch's 1st goal and Jacks 2nd goal where GWS kept us scoreless and they kicked 3 behinds. So Richo was right when he said that GWS were having a good patch, as a they should have converted a couple of those shots at goal, which would've had them a lot closer.
After that arm wrestle we went on to kick a couple of goals before half time, and that was all she wrote.

The 2nd quarter of the GF was a great quarter of footy, and I agree with you when you say it was the second quarter where the Tigers broke the Giants, but they really did put a good fight for 15 minutes or so.

Number8

Tiger Superstar
Oct 12, 2010
Melbourne
I think Richo was right and wrong in his answer to BT. There must have been a period of almost 15 minutes between Lynch's 1st goal and Jacks 2nd goal where GWS kept us scoreless and they kicked 3 behinds. So Richo was right when he said that GWS were having a good patch, as a they should have converted a couple of those shots at goal, which would've had them a lot closer.
After that arm wrestle we went on to kick a couple of goals before half time, and that was all she wrote.

The 2nd quarter of the GF was a great quarter of footy, and I agree with you when you say it was the second quarter where the Tigers broke the Giants, but they really did put a good fight for 15 minutes or so.

That's all very fair, @tigerman.

Like some others, I feel that Richo tries too hard for balance in his commentary and sometimes talks up our opponent at the expense of pure analysis, which should occasionally include glowing praise of his Tigers. Maybe I was a bit too conscious of that when I wrote that comment.

One of the things that made our GF win so incredibly good was that GWS didn't appear (to my eyes anyway) to throw in the towel at any point, despite knowing they were receiving a thumping. As you say, they actually put up a pretty good fight at times, and were simply overwhelmed by a far, far better (and fitter) side on the day.

Last edited:

Number8

Tiger Superstar
Oct 12, 2010
Melbourne
Can't say I've ever seen or heard the level of excitement rise within the crowd in anticipation of him doing something special.

Spot on, @aoc1974 !

What's amazing is that Neale recorded just 373 metres gained from his 51 touches. For context, Vlastuin and Lambert had 19 touches apiece and recorded 363 and 384 metres gained respectively.

Here were the Brownlow votes from that game:

1 – D Zorko
2 – B Houli
3 – L Neale

I mean, that is a travesty. Sure, if Champion Data gives out votes, that might be how they would opt.

But I was at that game and have watched it on replay several times since and can't for the life of me work out how the umpires voted that way. Richmond is effectively being penalised in the Brownlow stakes through its efficiency.

And yet, that efficiency is what helped us to win games in 2019 by an average of six goals (34.74 points to be precise).

On a perfect day for footy, the Lions mustered just 55 points from 15 scoring shots. They lost the game by 27 points. They averaged 47 possessions per goal; we averaged fewer than 30 possessions per goal.

When the game was there to be won, the only ones who really stood up were Berry, McCluggage and Bailey. Zorko was really good in the second quarter but his influence was isolated.

Conversely, when the match-winning lead was established in the first 30 minutes, Prestia, Martin, Lambert, Vlastuin, Houli and Riewoldt were just superb in everything they did.

N8's votes from that game:

1 – Houli
2 – Martin
3 – Prestia

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
Spot on, @aoc1974 !

What's amazing is that Neale recorded just 373 metres gained from his 51 touches. For context, Vlastuin and Lambert had 19 touches apiece and recorded 363 and 384 metres gained respectively.

Here were the Brownlow votes from that game:

1 – D Zorko
2 – B Houli
3 – L Neale

I mean, that is a travesty. Sure, if Champion Data gives out votes, that might be how they would opt.

But I was at that game and have watched it on replay several times since and can't for the life of me work out how the umpires voted that way. Richmond is effectively being penalised in the Brownlow stakes through its efficiency.

And yet, that efficiency is what helped us to win games in 2019 by an average of six goals (34.74 points to be precise).

On a perfect day for footy, the Lions mustered just 55 points from 15 scoring shots. They lost the game by 27 points. They averaged 47 possessions per goal; we averaged fewer than 30 possessions per goal.

When the game was there to be won, the only ones who really stood up were Berry, McCluggage and Bailey. Zorko was really good in the second quarter but his influence was isolated.

Conversely, when the match-winning lead was established in the first 30 minutes, Prestia, Martin, Lambert, Vlastuin, Houli and Riewoldt were just superb in everything they did.

N8's votes from that game:

1 – Houli
2 – Martin
3 – Prestia

We still bamboozle coaches, opposition supporters, so called analysts & commentators on HOW THE Hell we SCRAPE in to win matches with so many low possession count/numbers.

champion data gurus as we speak having behind the closed door meeting to come up with an explanation of Richmond.

travesty 100%. May cost one of our player a Brownlow as the 2019 Richmond model changed from 2017/18 due to personell changes that 2020 model might change again!

im sure our players don’tcare about stats or personal awards.
Its all about the TEAM , the MAN and the CLUB.
Premierships is what this group want over all else.
flag 3in 4 years!

let Fagan,Scott, Buckley concern themselves with their KPIs and the Tigers still go on about bamboozing sides.

Last edited:

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
That's all very fair, @tigerman.

Like some others, I feel that Richo tries too hard for balance in his commentary and sometimes talks up our opponent at the expense of pure analysis, which should occasionally include glowing praise of his Tigers. Maybe I was a bit too conscious of that when I wrote that comment.

One of things that made our GF win so incredibly good was that GWS didn't appear (to my eyes anyway) to throw in the towel at any point, despite knowing they were receiving a thumping. As you say, they actually put up a pretty good fight at times, and were simply overwhelmed by a far, far better (and fitter) side on the day.

TBH I don't want to hear Richo talk us up. We know he loves us. I want to hear the other knuckleheads say it.

Reactions: 2 users