Counting down the top 10 quarters of 2019 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Counting down the top 10 quarters of 2019

What was your favourite quarter of 2019?

• 1. 3rd quarter vs Geelong, preliminary final

Votes: 43 75.4%
  • 2. 3rd quarter vs Brisbane, qualifying final

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • 3. 2nd quarter vs GWS, grand final

• 4. 2nd quarter vs WCE, round 22

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5. 4th quarter vs WCE, round 22

Votes: 3 5.3%
  • 6. 1st quarter vs Carlton, round 1

• 7. 3rd quarter vs GWS, grand final

Votes: 5 8.8%
  • 8. 4th quarter vs Port Adelaide, round 4

• 9. 1st quarter vs Gold Coast, round 16

• 10. 1st quarter vs Collingwood, round 19

• Total voters

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
It would've gone up in my estimation if Graham had nailed the shot after running into an open goal near the end.
Yes, we missed a few, Jack Riewoldt could have kicked 3 for the quarter.
When watching that quarter again we could/ should have won by more than 19 points.

Reactions: 1 user

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Yes, we missed a few, Jack Riewoldt could have kicked 3 for the quarter.
When watching that quarter again we could/ should have won by more than 19 points.

Graham would’ve been a perfect statement - even maimed Tigers will claw you - leading into the Marlion GF fairytale.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
We still bamboozle coaches, opposition supporters, so called analysts & commentators on HOW THE Hell we SCRAPE in to win matches with so many low possession count/numbers.

champion data gurus as we speak having behind the closed door meeting to come up with an explanation of Richmond.

travesty 100%. May cost one of our player a Brownlow as the 2019 Richmond model changed from 2017/18 due to personell changes that 2020 model might change again!

im sure our players don’tcare about stats or personal awards.
Its all about the TEAM , the MAN and the CLUB.
Premierships is what this group want over all else.
flag 3in 4 years!

let Fagan,Scott, Buckley concern themselves with their KPIs and the Tigers still go on about bamboozing sides.
I'm more than happy to take playing finals n winning flags over winning brownlows n super coach. Oppo coaches n stats gurus can dribble on all they like about who shoulda coulda woulda won if only we played properly like all the other seventeen teams.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users

Number8

Tiger Superstar
Oct 12, 2010
Melbourne
I'm more than happy to take playing finals n winning flags over winning brownlows n super coach. Oppo coaches n stats gurus can dribble on all they like about who shoulda coulda woulda won if only we played properly like all the other seventeen teams.

The Brownlow is the one I have bee in my bonnet over. In recent decades it's been talked about as the "midfielder's award" but I think it's shifted again to be the "possession count" award. Where in the words "fairest and best" are weight of statistics mentioned or even implied?

"Best" does not mean "most". An influence on the result of the game through creativity, skill and bravery are miles ahead of possession count in determining the best players on the ground.

When I was a youngster I was given a copy of the Courage Book of Brownlow Medal Records, which had a write up of every winner of the award to 1976. I read it inside out and for many years could tell you the winner from any given season. The Brownlow is historically significant. I think the way it's adjudicated matters.

Lachie Neale getting three votes in that game diminishes the award and what it used to stand for.

It bugs me no end!

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Whilst I don’t disagree with much of what is written about meaningless possessions Lachie Neale was very good in that game. Not sure he was BOG but he was good

theglove3

Tiger Champion
Jun 3, 2003
Great thread JumpingJack.
Ended up watching the PF replay again yesterday (although bypassed most of the 2nd quarter).
Great viewing.
And the work of the actual JumpingJack going unnoticed and not commented on is amazing. (the ruck work palm down to Dusty who walks in a goal)
It's like the screen went black and nobody saw it.
Also the bias of Bwuuce and the guy who (never) played for Richmond Bwian is palpable.
Open Geelong barracking. Such a hate for Richmond.
Was great viewing.

Reactions: 2 users

Number8

Tiger Superstar
Oct 12, 2010
Melbourne
Just re-watched the 2nd and 3rd quarters of the Dreamtime game. Holy hat, not easy viewing.

Looked like the Bombers' game plan was so focussed on stopping Richmond they forgot to try and score themselves. They kicked the princely sum of two goals in the first three quarters.

When the drizzle cleared in the third term, some of our link up play through the middle was next level.

But in general, it's hard to find highlights. Prestia's brilliant goal midway through the second term, when he hassled Saad off the ball and then found range from 50 was a beacon of light in an appalling quarter of footy.

Interesting to see Jack Higgins kick the ball the wrong way early in the third term. Perhaps a symptom of his struggles? That said, he played a really good game. Will be great to see him play on Sunday.

Callum Coleman-Jones in his debut was predictably beaten by Bellchambers but showed signs. Noah Balta (the other tall in absence of both Soldo and Nankervis) did some excellent work, including a monster barrel out of defence in the second quarter.

Bachar Houli the absolute standout. Imagine how Bomber fans must feel every time they see him carve them up.

Channel Seven showed a list of the missing Bombers during the third term. It included Daniher, Smith and Fantasia and fell away very quickly. Luke Darcy solemnly declared they were missing some class. I'll raise and see you Darcy: no Rance, Riewoldt, Cotchin, Soldo, Nankervis, Short or Lambert.

Reactions: 1 users

backpocketplumber

Tiger Rookie
May 19, 2014
I've gorged on all 10 plus a few extras thrown in for good measure. I now can't wait to see what additional layers are added to our 2020 game style by the coaches and players.
I'm smitten by our 2nd half of the Prelim. I've only just noticed on todays viewing that the Gold Coast threesome (Prestia, Caddy and Lynch) combine for Tiger Tom's goals number 3,4 and 5. Just brilliant.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Been quietly rummaging through all our wins from last year. Gotta somehow sneak in our last home n away against Brisvegas tomorrow as well as our practice match. Then I'll have to ease into our finals games just to refresh before this season gets properly under way.
God I love us being brilliant again.

Reactions: 2 users