Courageous acts | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Courageous acts

Bennnny

Punt Road End. The best place to watch The Tiges.
Mar 29, 2005
Melbourne
www.indieinitiative.com
In the light of the concussion findings, is it ok to pull out of contests that might result in injury?
Given that the result might cause the team problems if you are injured.
I look at Drummonds knee injury caused by going for a suicidal Mark, possibly to make up for missing an easy Mark in his first game.
Ruined his career.

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
I say yes.

The most courageous thing I have seen in footy was Treloar rating the Pies list better than ours and signing with them.

Plenty would agree that he had obviously taken a few knocks to the head prior, but seriously, the impact of that has clearly done his head in.

Reactions: 2 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Marlion Pickett seems to have little regard for his own safety.

he seems to have every flavour of courage.

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
In the light of the concussion findings, is it ok to pull out of contests that might result in injury?
Given that the result might cause the team problems if you are injured.
I look at Drummonds knee injury caused by going for a suicidal Mark, possibly to make up for missing an easy Mark in his first game.
Ruined his career.
No. If you don;t want to get hurt or risk concussion related issues later in life then don't play. We all know the risks.

Shaun Smith played a form of football until he was 103, i have no sympathy for him at all.

Reactions: 1 user

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Coaches certainly stress to players to use 'sensible' courage.

They would much rather lose a contest than a player, especially if it isn't a critical moment.
Figgy musta forgot to edjumacate his Trelol bloke about this bit. Diving uncontested kamikaze mark in a practice match resulting in a pinged hammy is definitely not sensible.

nswtiger

tiger army tiger army!! thank you very much
Feb 14, 2005
Nrth NSW
driving to football park in SA in a VIC rego car to watch the tigers!!!!

madness

• Haha

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
Taking a dive in the prem final is courageous

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Probably less acceptable in today's team-first culture than ever. When Stack puts his 72kg on the line in a practice game with little at stake, it makes it hard for other players to refuse.

Arguably more courageous for players who hesitate, then go, than for players who don't think about the possibility of getting hurt.

pokey

Coffee never tasted so good
Mar 10, 2007
Melbourne
betterlifecoachingblog.com
IMO concussion is less about courage and more about technique.

Players who go to ground too easily, don't bend their knees when picking up ground balls or don't use their body properly in the air are much more likely to get concussed. Paddy McCartin is a case in point.

Junior (and senior) coaches have a responsibility to teach proper techniques from a very young age as a duty of care. Yes, you can be unlucky, but there are strategies that can be used to mitigate these risks.

I hate seeing players impacted by this and hope that the game can continue to improve the protocols.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Junior (and senior) coaches have a responsibility to teach proper techniques from a very young age as a duty of care.
While it's basically just mums n dads helping out with Auskick n junior coaching, or teachers in school there's not much chance of the kids learning much about technique.
Last mob I was working with, one of the blokes was doing his junior soccer coaching qualification. His old man had been imported from Chile ages ago to play for one of the Melb soccer clubs n he'd played soccer all his life growing up here. No just come along n help out coaching kiddies, he had to do a full training n qualification course to get a coaching licence.

pokey

Coffee never tasted so good
Mar 10, 2007
Melbourne
betterlifecoachingblog.com
While it's basically just mums n dads helping out with Auskick n junior coaching, or teachers in school there's not much chance of the kids learning much about technique.
Last mob I was working with, one of the blokes was doing his junior soccer coaching qualification. His old man had been imported from Chile ages ago to play for one of the Melb soccer clubs n he'd played soccer all his life growing up here. No just come along n help out coaching kiddies, he had to do a full training n qualification course to get a coaching licence.

Fair call TM. I've seen first hand the benefits of quality coaches who care for the kids and am extremely grateful for that.