Cricket | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Cricket

mb64

Tiger Legend
Jul 26, 2004
Melbourne
Victoria off to a good start with an outright win over WA in Perth.Cameron White finished not out on 48 doing his all rounder status no harm & certainly keeping his name in front of the Aust 1 day selectors.Despite Hodge's average performance he should still be a certainty for the 1st test.Jon Moss also had a good game & was 25 not out at the finish.For those interested in the Bushrangers thought it might be worthwhile having a thread about them.

marella jube

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2004
Re: Victoria Bushrangers - 2005/06 Sheffield Shield

Hodge needed a score as it's his only 4 day game before the 1st team side announced.
Martyn missed out both innings but the elder Hussey got 80+ in the 2nd dig lest he also be thought of as a middle order , not just opening, option.

Admit my bias (NSW+RFC) re Katich & would like him to have 1st crack at the W.Indies but acknowledge another unconvincing display v SA in the Shield next week should see him cut.
Clarke is a #6 only,Katich/Hodge/Hussey @ 4 & try Watson @ 5 as he bats up the order for QLD.

Keen to see how Jacques (NSW) + Rogers & North (WA) come on this year.Both the latter got runs in the Shield loss to the Vics.

See M.Inness now plays in the West.Vics must be flush for bowlers to allow him to leave.Bracken's ok but like to see Inness get some form + exposure if/when the call comes to look at left arm pace options.

mb64

Tiger Legend
Jul 26, 2004
Melbourne
Re: Victoria Bushrangers

marella jube said:
Hodge needed a score as it's his only 4 day game before the 1st team side announced.
Martyn missed out both innings but the elder Hussey got 80+ in the 2nd dig lest he also be thought of as a middle order , not just opening, option.

Admit my bias (NSW+RFC) re Katich & would like him to have 1st crack at the W.Indies but acknowledge another unconvincing display v SA in the Shield next week should see him cut.
Clarke is a #6 only,Katich/Hodge/Hussey @ 4 & try Watson @ 5 as he bats up the order for QLD.

Keen to see how Jacques (NSW) + Rogers & North (WA) come on this year.Both the latter got runs in the Shield loss to the Vics.

See M.Inness now plays in the West.Vics must be flush for bowlers to allow him to leave.Bracken's ok but like to see Inness get some form + exposure if/when the call comes to look at left arm pace options.
The way I see it MJ is Hodge will come in for Macgill in the 1st test against Windies.Can't explain why Vics didn't give Inness a go.

marella jube

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2004
Re: Victoria Bushrangers

Big call,mb. Concern is that it may only leave us with 3.5 bowlers with Lee erratic & Watson inexperienced.

Challenge this year is for White to develop his bowling to put heat on MacGill,if we're going to play 4-5 bowlers.Ditto Cullen, the SA offie (+ Watson).If they can progress then perhaps we may yet an Australian side that can claim to bat to 10 (sorry,'ooh aah') + offer good bowling depth sooner rather than later. Tait's injury really has opened all sorts of possibilities,assuming Warne + McGrath maintain fitness.

mb64

Tiger Legend
Jul 26, 2004
Melbourne
Re: Cricket

Have renamed this thread cricket which can cover everything re cricket.Brad Hodge has been disgracefully omitted from the 2nd test without even getting a chance.The selectors are a disgrace & once again the Vics are shafted.

marella jube

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2004

Bit harsh,mb.Katich & Clarke's innings of the last few days obviously staved off any considerations to any batting changes.

May have done Hodge a favour,if anything,allowing him match time in the Vics next shield match while the test is on.Wouldn't want anyone to become this year's 'Brett Lee',perpetual 12th man but no opportunity to play,let alone press claims.

Share concern re bowling though. Disappointed Bracken chosen.Only distinguishing feature/claim is the different angle he brings the ball from,being a left armer.Unremarkable & not as if he hasn't been a go previously.Would have preferred he (&/or MacGill) be free to go to the WACA for NSW rather than sit around the Gabba dressingrooms.Reinforces the current shallow state of local bowling stocks + apparent reluctance of selectors to rate anyone west & south of the Murray.

Good to see Rod Marsh return & renew links with Aust cricket.No coincidence the Poms picked up during his tenure.

mb64

Tiger Legend
Jul 26, 2004
Melbourne

marella jube said:
Bit harsh,mb.Katich & Clarke's innings of the last few days obviously staved off any considerations to any batting changes
MJ,My problem is with Brackens selection.I would have made Macgill 12th man for Hodge.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne

BalmyArmy said:
How Shane Warne ever gets a gig is beyond me.  Don't the selectors know he's a Victorian???

:hihi :hihi :hihi :hihi :hihi :hihi :hihi :hihi :hihi :hihi :hihi :hihi

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne

Brad Hodge is kidding himself.  Failed every single time he has played an important match.  Compare to Clarke when they both played for Australia A a couple of years back, Clarke piled on the runs in a composed fashion while Hodge choked yet again - and has continued to do so right up to the game against WA a couple of weeks back.

Hodge will never play for Australia.

The next Australian Cricketer from Victoria will be Cameron White - picked as a batsmen that bowls a bit.

mb64

Tiger Legend
Jul 26, 2004
Melbourne

jb03 said:
Brad Hodge is kidding himself. Failed every single time he has played an important match. Compare to Clarke when they both played for Australia A a couple of years back, Clarke piled on the runs in a composed fashion while Hodge choked yet again - and has continued to do so right up to the game against WA a couple of weeks back.

Hodge will never play for Australia.

The next Australian Cricketer from Victoria will be Cameron White - picked as a batsmen that bowls a bit.
You may well be right but he was picked in the test side & deserves a chance.Check out Clarke's Pura Cup average-nothing flash.

DragicevicFan

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2002
Melbourne

White could end up as the number 6 all rounder they are looking for.

Hodge will never play test cricket (barring a number of injuries). I think the selectors will start looking at younger guys to fill the gaps, not 30 year olds which sadly probably rules Hussey out also.

mb64

Tiger Legend
Jul 26, 2004
Melbourne

DragicevicFan said:

Hodge will never play test cricket (barring a number of injuries). I think the selectors will start looking at younger guys to fill the gaps, not 30 year olds which sadly probably rules Hussey out also.
Disagree Draga,I still reckon Hodge & Hussey are in the picture.Would like to see Hussey take over from 1 of the openers immediately & would give Hodge a chance & not play Bracken who is simply not up to it.Hodge should at least be given a chance.

bdr

Tiger Rookie
Dec 18, 2002

Just read the other day how Clarke was vice captain of (I think) the Aussie U-18 side, and Michael Klinger was captain. Amazing how some people kick on and others don't...

DragicevicFan

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2002
Melbourne

mb64 said:
DragicevicFan said:

Disagree Draga,I still reckon Hodge & Hussey are in the picture.Would like to see Hussey take over from 1 of the openers immediately & would give Hodge a chance & not play Bracken who is simply not up to it.Hodge should at least be given a chance.

Watson is the biggest headache for the selectors. They want him in the team because he can bat/bowl and fields well. But, he's not quite up to batting at 6, and while his bowling is good enough at one-day level, in a test, he is targetted and not quite good enough to be the third pace bowler. He needs to start moving the ball around a bit more for this role.

So, he's not good enough to bat at 6 and bowl a bit, but you cant have him as the third quick batting at 8. But, he is improving, and if he can hold down one of these spots in time, it will give the selectors much more freedom, so they will continue with him.

While he is at no 6, there will need to be an extra bowler picked, whether it's Bracken, MacGill or whoever, meaning that Hodge will continue to miss out.

bigwow

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2003
Melbourne

It took Freddie Flintoff a long time to click as a Test All-rounder.
While watson may not be in this class, he does average 40+ with the bat at first class level, and high 20's/low30's with the ball, he will need time to find his feet at test level.

Dirk Wellham made 100 on debut, and only played 4 tests, it took Steve Waugh 26 tests to make a century, and look how he turned out.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com

bigwow said:
It took Freddie Flintoff a long time to click as a Test All-rounder.
While watson may not be in this class, he does average 40+ with the bat at first class level, and high 20's/low30's with the ball, he will need time to find his feet at test level.
Very good point. Watson is part of the Aussies long term plans. This team needs to be rebuilt even if it means some short term apin. Needs to be given opportunities at test level.