Current & Prospective Sponsors and Club Finances | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Current & Prospective Sponsors and Club Finances

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
Given our recent on field success, it's to be expected that 2019 flag will provide a good financial return for the club again.
Premiership memorabilia and membership upgrades and renewals will contribute to the bottom line. But with a number of new teams ie AFLW and the Wheelchair Tigers as well as the Community and Charitable programs it supports it's an ongoing issue to find more revenue streams.

Given the good press the club gets for its Programs, being a family orientated club, the good stories of players getting a 2nd chance, the good culture, the respect that Peggy, Benny Gale& Dimma generate I feel we'd be an attractive fit for high profile sponsors (that fit the club culture)
Hopefully the club can capitalise on our highly successful profile

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

MB78

I can have my cake and eat it too
Sep 8, 2009
Gaining extra sponsors will be critical for our growth of our facilities at PRO.

Also with the Alligned Leasure we should be able to continue to attract Government money and further sponsorship with community programs particularly in rural areas that we operate in. Also with the NGA that we have we should be able spread our brand right through the Northern half of the state.

Tigertool

Tiger Legend
Mar 10, 2008
Top 3 sponsorship revenues in 2019.
Collingwood $20m
Hawthorn $16.6m
Richmond $15.5m

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...t-victorian-distribution-20200217-p541lr.html

NIB signed us for cheap in August 2017 in a deal that expires this year.

Believe Jeep have re-signed in the last couple of years though I think.

We’re head and shoulders 1st on membership and we’ve just won 2 flags in 3 years. How are we not yet top of the table for sponsor revenue or an extremely close 2nd at worst?

Reactions: 1 user

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Top 3 sponsorship revenues in 2019.
Collingwood $20m
Hawthorn $16.6m
Richmond $15.5m

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...t-victorian-distribution-20200217-p541lr.html

NIB signed us for cheap in August 2017 in a deal that expires this year.

Believe Jeep have re-signed in the last couple of years though I think.

We’re head and shoulders 1st on membership and we’ve just won 2 flags in 3 years. How are we not yet top of the table for sponsor revenue or an extremely close 2nd at worst?

Probably because of all those years in the wilderness.

Time to cash in now, let's hope they can get some good deals, the sponsors of Richmond certainly get a lot of exposure to very large audiences.

DS

Fighting Fury

Tiger Army
Jul 17, 2003
Richmond prepared for a crisis ... then it happened
Greg Baum
By Greg Baum
May 25, 2020 — 6.52pm
The Age
In February, almost by accident, Richmond began to war game a sudden, gigantic crash in membership and finances.
It wasn't quite the case that the Tigers were ahead of the game again, but it meant that they were on top of their game when the coronavirus struck.
"As part of our strategic planning, because we thought there was going to be a recession in the next 10 years, we started thinking: if there is, how long can we go without any money?" president Peggy O'Neal said at a Committee for Economic Development of Australia (CEDA) sports business forum last week. "How many members can we afford to lose and still maintain what we're doing?
Richmond players run a lap of Punt Road Oval.

Richmond players run a lap of Punt Road Oval. CREDIT:GETTY IMAGES
"We hadn't developed that very far, but we were starting to think the good times can't go on forever."

On Monday, club chief executive Brendon Gale explained that Richmond periodically invited in consultant and ethicist Peter Collins, a former Jesuit priest, who two years ago wrote a report on the ball-tampering scandal for Cricket Australia. His remit was to help the club look far ahead.
"It's scenario planning. Imagine in 10 years' time, if we went through a recession, maybe a depression, how would we manage?" Gale said. "Just say we had a 15, 20 per cent fall in revenue across the board, how would we manage that?
"That was in February. Within a month, we were almost shut down."
As it happens, the Tigers expect to lose about 20 per cent of their revenue this season, even if limited crowds come back.
What Richmond reaffirmed in February was that their decision eight years ago to diversify into other businesses, including leisure management and leadership education, was sound.

"We had to build our business," he said. "Wins were few and far between then because we were coming off the bottom. The key focus was on diversifying our business. That insulates you from footy recession. That strategy has served us well through this period."
But Richmond, like all clubs, is still feeling the pinch. That includes the loss of staff, knowing that many will not be back.
"Sporting clubs and sporting organisations mostly have to do a lot with a little," O'Neal said.
"They rely quite a lot on volunteers. They rely on young people who don't get paid what perhaps they could get paid in other businesses, because they love their sport and they want to be a part of the excitement of competitive sport."

Now the model will change.
"I think everything is on the table to be looked at again," O'Neal said. "I think the normal we had on January 1 is not what people are going to be looking at. I think that for a while, we'll have to do as much with less."
This applied even to a well-supported, wealthy and recently successful club like Richmond. The AFL's new, drastically reduced soft cap on footy spending guaranteed it.
"Even if you wanted to bring back all the staff that you had to stand down, and had the money, you can't," said O'Neal. "That shows they're going to be leaner organisations."
Gale said one man would not be asked back: the consultant Collins, who foresaw this crash. Gale was joking.