Daily Player reviews #13 Justin Blumfield | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Daily Player reviews #13 Justin Blumfield

OMH

Tiger Cub
Jan 4, 2003
One of the guys who is in a Tigers e-mail loop with me at work is putting together a one-a-day player critique starting at #1 and working through the player list. It's a pretty good read so I thought I would share it with you.

Part 13 in the series….

13 - Justin Blumfield

O.K. A tough one, Blumfield's one I probably don't have a real good bead on without seeing him week-in, week-out, there's a lot more I'm not sure about. So this one's even more subjective and speculative than most.

Position: Midfielder (Wing) / Forward (I'm hoping)
Height: 188cm
Weight: 86kg
Career Games: 130 ( 0 at Richmond)
Career Goals: 86 ( 0 at Richmond)
Draft History: Selection 62 in the 1994 National Draft in what was a pretty strong draft (for most clubs). Traded to Richmond for Draft pick 28 in 2002 National Draft where they selected a very promising young Ruckman

2002 Averages: 22 Games, 9.7 Kicks, 4.9 Marks, 6.7 Handballs, 0.5 Goals, 2.8 Tackles, 1.1 Rebounds, 3 Inside 50s, 2 Clearance, 2 Clangers

2002 Summary: Respectable year without being outstanding, would actually probably put it as slightly below par, certainly below expectations. He suffered a knee injury late in the season and missed the last two home and away and may as well missed their two finals where he was very disappointing. Seven times got 20+ touches, but interestingly the opponents were Richmond twice (28 & 26), where he really cut us up in probably his two best games for the year, Carlton (32), St Kilda (22), Kangaroos (21), Melbourne (26) & Brisbane (20). Finished 12th in Bombers B&F.

Previously: Had a very good season in 2000 where he kicked 27 goals from 24 games averaging 18 possessions a game, and often mentioned was his game in that years GF where he topped over a very good finals series. Dropped off in 2001 with injury problems, only playing 13 games for 8 goals and less than 13 touches a game, that year he was a non-entity in 3 finals. Had two good "up-and-coming" years in 1999 & 1998 which made him attract the interest of Sydney and Collingwood and development years in 96 & 97 had him rated a potential big gun.

Ability: 6 - Above average ability, I would think a lot of others would rate him higher, but I have my queries.

Offence: 6 - Is an attacking midfielder who should give us a goal kicking option in the midfield where we really have struggled. Is good overhead and while I think plan A is to use him through the midfield, plan B (my plan) would be to play him up forward with occasional runs in the midfield.
Defence: 2 - I might be hard on him, but when I've seen him he plays a very free wheeling game running ahead of the footy with very little accountability for his opponent. Rare to see him push back into defensive 50 to assist.

Hardness: 3 - Again may be tough on him, but looks the sort to be on the end of reception, not the one to dish out. Never seems to want to be in amongst the tough stuff.

Speed: 6 - Above average, he always looked reasonably quick to me, but then again that was often against Richmond and we can make players look quick at times! :) Still does look to cover the ground at a good pace.

Stamina: 7.5 - Well above average. My impression is that he is a good running, but not "elite", certainly a strong runner forward of the ball.

Delivery: 7 - Above average, but proceed with caution as the effect isn't always as good as the look. Certainly as a Bomber was one of the guys that would often cough it up and miss the goal he should have nailed. No doubt sometime through the year some wag will scream out "Didn't take us long to ruin your kicking". Was really not sure how to rate him here as I see a fair bit of bad mixed with the good.

Air: 8 - Probably his big selling point as a player is that he is very good overhead for a running player, with very safe hands. Again possibly "coloured" by not seeing him week-in, week-out.

Ground: 6 - Is above average at ground level without really sticking in my mind as being exceptional.

Injury: 4.5 - Had bad knee problems in 2001 and they re-occurred back towards the end of 2002, making me worried we may have bought damaged goods. I believe there is a bit of other history there as well and was concerned he's not fully participating in practice games.

Ruck: 1 - Not expected to ruck, won't ruck, have seen him jump over the top to provide a contest on a misdirected bounce, but that's about it.
Temperament: 5 - Bit of an unknown, haven't really watched him for this, but early headline appearance makes me nervous.
Ball: 6.5 - Above average ball winner, but hasn't really moved into the top shelf as he threatened to do after 2000. Injuries in 2001 may have contributed to this.

Strengths: Looks a pretty smart player, creative with handball who will do a lot of running, good overhead and above average skills.

Weaknesses: Doesn't like body on body pressure, not great in close or winning his own footy. Queries on finishing skills, intensity at the contest & accountability

Overall: Got to preface this with the fact that he's not someone I've watch each week closely, really only taking notice when Essendon play Richmond, Finals & occasional other big games so my opinions aren't on a huge amount of evidence. Not real sure if he's a much (emphasis on much) better version of Houlihan or a poorer right footed version of Bowden. On the surface must have looked a bargain at pick 30 (later to be 28) with the Bombers picking up some of the tab, but I got to admit, I would still have been a bit hesitant, particularly as I didn't think we needed another wingman/outside type. Creative with the ability to make space, good overhead, he's certainly got his benefits, but I remain dubious of his overall value. Other than to keep Houlihan out of the side, which is value. Looks the type of guy who will look great when we're winning, and a major reason if we fail. Looks good with the footy in his hands, but been known to turn over the footy too often and has little or no defensive side. Wouldn't be surprised if he does well in 2003, but will watch him with interest long-term and probably if it I had to answer the question now - I think we'll be calling for his head by 2005. Still I'm probably a good chance of getting it wrong and we may have a very good player on our hands. I am very worried that I keep hearing Richmond supporters with a lot of optimism for 2003 because of the "great" midfield we'll have with Johnston & Blumfield joining it. I think if Blumfield is to be a success it'll probably be more a half forward than a midfielder. Should be at his prime and really is a bit of a wait and see. Of interest an Essendon mate described him in the following terms - "I used to think Blumfield playing well was a big factor in Essendon playing well, by the end of last year I though Essendon playing well was a big factor in Blumfield playing well".

What he needs to do? (More a wish list)
1) Show some accountability - last thing we need is another loose midfielder
2) Kick 25+ goals from the midfield or 40+ as a more permanent forward
3) Show some intensity at the ball for more than the first 6 games of this year.

I am very worried that I keep hearing Richmond supporters with a lot of optimism for 2003 because of the "great" midfield we'll have with Johnston & Blumfield joining it.  

I wouldn't worry too much about that OMH's friend, ha. ;D

We're used to being kicked in the guts year after year.
We can cope, and for a little while until things go wrong I think it's wonderful to be optimistic.

I don't know much about Blumfield, but I watched him on the video of Knighter's last game recently, and he played like nobody on our team has for a long time.

Plenty of time for pessimism "if" the wheels happen to fall off again.

I would worry more about people who can't be optimistic about our chances.
I get the feeling they are worrying about nothing.

Surely it's gotta be the year of the Tiger.

Go Blumfield (who needs a nickname) Eat Em Alive

As a good friend who is a BIG Bombers fan has told me, he and his fellow bombers supporters were most disapointed about losing Blumfield over Caracella and Heffernan - and this guy was Caracella's personal sponsor ???
Rates him very highly and only injury in his opinion prevented JB from having a greater and more regular impact in 2002.
Rapt to have him - welcome Justin and eat em alive..

Like OMH friend I can't confess to having a great knowledge about BLUMFIELD other than when he played agains't the Tiges. (Why the Hell else would I bother looking at the Bummers)

BUT what I have seen when he has been on the opposition side is that he has generally done us some harm (read cut us up) like in KNIGHTER's last game.

Don't particular know if it was because he is good at creating space or because we were negligent in manning up, but what ever I don't reckon he can hurt us in the midfield. Is still young, has premiership experience and has played midfield in a good to very good side so for pick 28 bring him on I say.

Good luck for a Big Season. Besides no doubt being an ex Bummer the punt road end boys (and girls) will judge him harshly so he better earn his stipes.

Tiger fans have no mercy for underachievers generally

It is a bit of a novelty to have not but two players on our list who have played in a premiership team, not counting every player who won a gannie in Under 12's.

I have a feeling their will be a lot "So thats how it is done!!" statements flying around the changerooms at Punt Rd after Justin and Kane explain the basics behind being a good team.

hopefully he is over his injuries, if so expect his name to come up a few times this year

cant wait 2 see how he goes