Daily Player reviews #19 Tim Fleming | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Daily Player reviews #19 Tim Fleming

OMH

Tiger Cub
Jan 4, 2003
One of the guys who is in a Tigers e-mail loop with me at work is putting together a one-a-day player critique starting at #1 and working through the player list. It's a pretty good read so I thought I would share it with you.

Part 18 in the series�.

19 - Tim Fleming

Position: Midfielder / Left-Back :)
Age: 24, turns 25 the day before our Round 2 game against the Doggies.
Height: 182cm
Weight: 81kg
Career Games: 0
Career Goals: 0
Draft History: Drafted selection No 41 in the 2003 draft, our third round pick (which was originally 32 before we traded with Adelaide). Around 48 positions higher in the draft than I expected. Was Rookie listed at Carlton in 2001 then dropped off the list for 2002.

2002 Averages: Didn't play AFL footy last year.

2002 Summary: Spent 2002 with Carlton's VFL team, winning their best and fairest, polled in one game (2 votes) in the Liston medal. Carlton's VFL team didn't make the finals and only one player on their senior list failed to play a senior game, they even upgraded two rookies into their Senior Side. With so few senior listed players playing extended time in their VFL side, it's not that great a rap to win that B&F, better than not winning it I suppose.

Previously: Played at Old Xavs before that, didn't make U18's TAC Cup to my knowledge.

Ratings: I'm not going to rate him here, did put them together, but they're a bit of a guess based on what little I know of him and he's certainly someone I've never taken any notice of. Suffice to say I've got him well down the bottom in pretty much everything.

Strengths: Is regarded as a bit of a "hard-nut" and at 25 has football experience if not AFL level experience. Must be extremely "coachable" - would have to have been one of Britain's "pets" to have got a gig here.

Weaknesses: Everything I've heard indicates a player with limited abilities, ordinary skills, not much leg speed.

Overall: Why?!? Richmond indicated that they were going to run with a smaller list this year (which is poor IMHO) and so they didn't want to recruit young kids who wouldn't have the body to be able to play AFL footy this year, so we went and recruited guys who weren't ready to play AFL footy on talent instead but would have a the body to cope with senior games. Amazing really. To be fair to him I don't really have a lot of first-hand info. I saw a bit of VFL footy, but he never really caught my eye and to be honest wasn't on my radar at all. Could well be an honest battler that may provide us value, but from the perspective of trying to build a premiership winning team I can't understand picking up a 25yo onto the senior list who has never played at this level and a single year on a Rookie List at Carlton in 2001 as a 23yo then losing his place ain't a great resume. I would think he's insurance for a run-with role. I also think he's a very good example why we should reduce the influence of coaches on recruiting decisions of players they have recently been involved with. Hopefully we've only taken him for a single year contract (foolish if we didn't) and he's already on my list for delisting.

What he needs to do?
1) Not injure anyone at training
2) Take the highlighter to the Melways and mark off the grounds Coburg will play at this year.
3) Play good football and make me look like I'm shooting my mouth off with no idea.

Overall: Why?!? Richmond indicated that they were going to run with a smaller list this year (which is poor IMHO) and so they didn't want to recruit young kids who wouldn't have the body to be able to play AFL footy this year, so we went and recruited guys who weren't ready to play AFL footy on talent instead but would have a the body to cope with senior games. Amazing really.

Blame certain well known (ex)-player contracts for that one :mad:. This won't be an issue at the end of this year with us no longer having to pay Daffy and Bourke's salary at other clubs and certain other players lucky to still be on our list this year finally coming out of contract.

After the "FLEMING'S SEASON OVER AND CAREER IN DOUBT" Article by Chris Lane in August 2003 I think Tim Fleming has a year to prove his worth and last night proved he is worth his weight.

After a few fumbles with the ball in warm up, and the normal routines with the scissor kicking off the goal posts and something I hadn't seen warming up with small tackle bags seemed to fire the Tigers up.

For most quarters Fleming started on the centre square city side and the last quarter i think he was in the middle.

His kicking and tacklinkg was good and his decision making under pressure was great at times. I think he is getting a smarter footy brain for AFL level. The only thing will be his hardness at the ball and if frustrated may go a it too hard at the wrong time. (a la Reiwoldt).

It seemed that the players were actually playing a team game. Backing each other up, being there for handballs, running on the lead etc. this worked for 3 out of the 4 quarters. I think in the 3rd quarter the team was a bit buggered! Being their first hit out I thought they did a good job, but because of the lapse I started thinking of the heartbreak and repurcussions (sp?) of a loss.

Anyhoo, we came out on top. it was great to belt out the song and I think that Fleming will only continue his hard at it work ethic. Go Tim! ;D

From the President ot Tim 'Flem' Fleming.

Fleming has received a foot injury and will be in doubt for the intra club hitout against Carlton this coming weekend. (Friday 12 March 2004) hopefully it is not too serious and he can play round 1 against the pies and put a hard knock on Buckley. ;D\

Injury update
richmondfc.com.au
3:26:05 PM Mon 1 March, 2004
Injury update for week beginning the 01/03/04:

Player Injury Status
D. Kellaway Buttocks 2 weeks
Rogers Leg 1 week
Hilton Abdomen 1 week
Campbell Foot Available
Blumfield Knee 4 weeks

No update of the injury as yet so hopefully it is not bad.

I am amazed Tim Fleming is on our list. What's the point? Turns 26 shortly. Name another club that would give a precious spot on an AFL list to him?

The Flem was only on for 44 minutes of the game on Friday night.

He had 3 effective disposals, and 1 clanger.

I did not notice The Flem much because of his small amount of time on the ground, but watching the replay there was no real need for him to be on the ground any longer than he was. I think he was used an an impact player when some intensity was needed.

It was a GREAT team effort that got us the 4 points and that for me was fantastic, the other great thing was that we played the game out.

A Four Quarter Effort!! Fantastic Boys!