Daily Player reviews #24 Mark Coughlan | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Daily Player reviews #24 Mark Coughlan

OMH

Tiger Cub
Jan 4, 2003
One of the guys who is in a Tigers e-mail loop with me at work is putting together a one-a-day player critique starting at #1 and working through the player list. It's a pretty good read so I thought I would share it with you.

Part 23 in the series….

24 - Mark Coughlan

Position: Midfielder
Age: 20 - Turns 21 the day before we play the Saints in Round 4
Height: 186cm (Listed as 183 in 2001)
Weight: 85kg
Career Games: 21
Career Goals: 8
Draft History: Select 25 in 2000 National Draft - was highly rated and possibly a bit surprising he lasted to us at that pick.

2002 Averages: 16 games, 9.6 Kicks, 3.8 Marks, 8.7 Handballs, 0.5 Goals, 3.6 Tackles, 0.9 Rebounds, 3.8 Inside 50s, 4.4 Clearance, 2.4 Clangers

2002 Summary: Was the silver lining of a disaster for Richmond in 2002. As good as the above stats look on face value Coughlan's year was really a case of two different half's. The first half when Richmond was holding onto the delusion they could make the finals Coughlan was given limited opportunities playing only 5 games out of the first 11, spending his time cooling his heels either in the VFL or on the bench. For those 5 games he averaged 9 disposals, 2 marks, 2.2 tackles, 2.6 clangers, 1.4 clearances and totalled 1 goal and his limited showings had people doubting he would make it (not me). For the final 11 games of the year he finally was given the opportunities he should have got in 2001 and averaged 22.5 disposals, 4.6 marks, 4.2 tackles, 2.3 clangers an outstanding 5.7 clearances and kicked 7 goals. So when given the opportunity he managed to increase his disposals by 150% and reduce his turnover rate at the same time. Did show exceptional ability at working in close, although some of his gives were a bit short and soft and not greatly effective. Still has a problem with turnovers although pleasingly looked very comfortable on either side of his body and had made noticeable improvements in his disposal by foot since the year before.

Previously: A bit of a late developer as a Junior, was highly rated by the time the 2000 National Draft came around. Started 2001 with a groin injury and was eased into the season. Had a good debut against Geelong in Round 9 in the only highlight for me on another fruitless trip down to the Litter Tray, when he started on the ground and in the action and despite a few obvious nerves looked to be a real find - a rare commodity of a quality player, but Danny couldn't hold his nerve that day (When actually he and the coaching panel had a complete shocker) and after a short time he was ripped from the ground then spent some junk time in a pocket , given very little opportunity for the rest of the game or the following week and was dropped. Recalled for another game with again little chance to make an impact was dropped straight away. Back for another couple of games where he was again given little opportunity and then back to the VFL where he consistently dominated.

Ability: 9 - Coughlan is one of only two Richmond draftee's (Ottens the other) that have had me genuinely excited over the last 10 years. Looked the goods from the first time I saw him playing for Coburg and while he has some downside is along with Ottens the start of something we can build a side around.
Offence: 6 - I liked the fact that he was able to kick 7 goals from the midfield in the last 11 games. Does look prepared to push forward and has that capacity to burst from the front of the square towards goal. Does have to work on his finishing skills. Looks a good "offensive" midfielder but doesn't strike me as a forward option.
Defence: 5.5 - Above average in that he will work both ways (unusual at Richmond) and would appear to be able to cope in a run-with role but can do more defensively. A bit hard to judge, as at VFL level and last half of last year he was given licence to go and never had to be truly accountable. Will be interesting to watch him against a side where he will tackle their 2nd or 3rd best on-baller but a quality one (like against Brisbane or Adelaide) and have to be accountable which may happen this year. Strong in a tackle. Could push back harder into the defensive 50
Hardness: 8 - A few might think this a bit high but I have one striking memory of Coughlan from 2002. That of him literally "bouncing" off an opponent at the front of the Square, maintaining his balance and running on for a shot on goal which unfortunately missed. Unfortunately my memory of that incident is that strongly focussed on what he did I've completely forgotten who it was against, but if anyone else remembers it and has doubts, grab a tape and re-watch it. There are some things special on a football field - that was. Is also a strong tackler, although I think can increase his aggression in the tackle. Has that capacity to dish out and absorb physical punishment in close.

Speed: 5.5 - Would place him only marginally ahead of average for speed, more a close "inside" player than an outside type, but can run and at times did surprise me with his running ability. Would like to see him work more on his initial burst of speed though.
Stamina: 6.5 - Looks to have reasonably good running ability and didn't seem to overly tire towards the end of games, but also didn't really appear to cover the territory of a Campbell or a Bowden playing more from Half Back to Half Forward rather than truly end to end.
Delivery: 6 - Part of me thinks an above average rating is over-rating him as one weakness is his ability to turn the football over at times by foot with no-pressure errors. Not sure if that's a perception more coloured by his earlier senior games and I am impressed with how comfortable he looks on either side of his body. I think as his confidence grows so too will his completion rate. Don't really like the habit of short soft handballs from pack situations, but as he continues to adjust to AFL level we should this improve, at the lower level he's more likely to evade and shoot the ball out lower and harder.
Air: 6 - Above average in the air and very good for a running player. I thought he was often used as a kick-out target through the second half of the year and was a good option for this. Deals with body pressure well
Ground: 8.5 - Very good on the ground, once he got his chance showed very good hands under pressure and his ability to pounce on the footy and grab it quickly and dispose from close-in was exceptional. I would pretty much rate Coughlan Richmond's best "stop-start" player.
Injury: 6.5 - Is early in his career and groin problems in his first year is a bit of a concern, but kept his body in good condition through 2002.
Temperament: 8.5 - Seems very calm, almost too calm at times, and it would good to see him show a bit more excitement through the end of last year. Looks very cool under pressure and if I did have a question mark I kinda felt he held back a bit and didn't necessarily back himself altogether. Just a feeling.
Ball: 8 - Very strong ball winner, will have to prove it over greater than half a season though, but is heading towards being prolific.

Strengths: Exceptional in close, safe hands, equally comfortable disposing either side of his body, hard at the ball and the player and a good instinct for getting to the ball through the middle of the ground. Has all the attributes to be a top-liner and (IMHO) a hell of a lot of improvement left in him.

Weaknesses: Can improve his running and completion rate with his disposals isn't great. Has a habit of short "soft" handballs from close which don't help clear the pack situation. Can lift the intensity and really use his strength to bury opponents at times.

Overall: Coughlan is just about the most important Tiger. A genuine midfielder who has actually had a grounding at VFL level. While I'm one who was constantly disappointed with the lack of opportunities he was given in the first year and half, it did give him some good grounding and at least unlike some other Tigers he was consistently a dominant force at VFL level and genuinely proved himself. Looks naturally comfortable in the thick of the action, but never really looked great on a flank or in a pocket and he could benefit by broadening his game. Looks calm and competent disposing of the ball off either side of his body and exceptionally strong in close. Benefits greatly by the addition of Johnston as it will help take some focus of him and no doubt there will be a lot more attention paid to him in 2003 than there was in 2002. Is prone at times to no-pressure errors and soft handballs that lack effectiveness and don't clear the area. I won't be disappointed if he doesn't maintain the form he held over the second half of the year over the entire course of 2003, but I don't expect him to fall too far back from that high standard even though he should cop more attention. Still probably has another year or two of development in him before he starts to really peak. The really exciting thing about him is he looks like a player with plenty of improvement left in him. Sadly though his development directly raises a big doubt - Had we not copped a flogging from Port and Danny & Co thrown Coughlan in for the "experience" his season most likely would have continued on from the first half of the year. There is a big lesson in there and I wonder if those in control at Richmond have learnt it.

What he needs to do?
1) Work on his disposal effectiveness. It's not bad, but can improve.
2) Become more aware of his direct opponent. He could get away with it last year, this year he has to be more conscious of keeping his opponent quieter as well as winning his own football.
3) Develop a stronger running game he does need to be able to push deeper back at times.
4) Set a target of 15-20 goals from the midfield. Makes him even more dangerous to be a goal-kicking midfielder.

Good review. Does look like a genuinely great player in the making, though i think its a bit early to rate him as highly as you have in some categories, especially in ability and ground.

Lots of positives about MC, however one thing that I have noticed is that he tends to slip over, or go to ground quite a lot. Usually this is because he is forced to burrow in after the ball in awkward pack situatiions, but he does at times seem to be a bit uncoordinated and tends to use his braun before his brains, trying to crash through players before looking for a handball option around him, and subsequently landing in tackles and getting brought to ground, or trying to evade a tackle and slipping over.

His temperament looks good for a youngster, hasn't got the Richo/Pettifer tantrums, and looks poised and fearless in a contest. He does however sometimes make mistakes when he has too much time to think, being more of an an instinct footballer than a creative foorballer. Seems to be in a zone a bit sometimes and has to try and improve his lateral vision.

Having said this, his instincts are great. Kicked some good goals under pressure last year and tackles and hits packs harder than anyone has at Richmond since I can remember. (ok, D. Kellaway has alot of heart, but he doesn't have the body and doesn't make the impact that MC does). His strength in the clinches for a young bloke is scary. If he can improve on it a little bit in the next couple of years, he will be right up there with monsters like Voss, Buckley, Ricciuto.

Whilst everybody has been jacking off about Kane Johnson answering our midfield prayers, I think if ever there was a midfielder needed at Richmond, its this boy. Looks to be the best midfielder we have recruited since Wayne Campbell, and couldn't come at a more needy time. If only we had 2 of him......

I am concerned at the amount of expectation placed on 'Cogs'. Unfortunately for him he has been one of too few recruits in a long while to show genuine ability combined with a decent size frame. Hopefully Newman or Hyde will progress beyond expectations this year and take a bit of the pressure of 'Cogs'. Having Johnson.Blumfield,Flemming etc around can only help his development but really we can't expect a bloke who has played less than 30 games to be this years saviour.
Heres hoping he has a great year I love the way he plays!!

I hate to go on about the bodies of these kids, but MC came to Richmond with a pretty solid frame ans seems to have built that into a very solid frame in no time. Just being able to handle the punishment will fast track most kids.

Maybe Fiora could spend some time in the gym with MC..

Like Rodan, MC would list as his greatest strength getting the ball and having the poise to assess what is going on around him..what a fancifull strength that is, what about the important draft camp tests of jumping like a kangaroo, and running around witches hats

Quotes from the 2001 Season Preview Magazine

Mark COUGHLAN
Draft Pick 25
Perth
18 Yrs, 183 cm, 78 kg

"You'd describe Mark as a natural footballer.  Like all good midfielders, he's able to create time and space for himself.  He's a good size for his age and can really catch it.  Mark's one of  those kids who has a real appetite and desire to make it and has easily settled into Melbourne.   - it was a mate who actually invited him down to try out with Perth.  As it turned out, he played four or five games in the Colts and spent the reson fo the season in the Seniors"

Given that he didn't play a lot of junior football he has probably got quite a bit of development to go so it looks promising for us.

Also in the same edition they say the following about Kane Pettifer

"He's been described as teh most decorated junior player int eh country.  He was All-Australian at both U16 and U18 level and wone the Larke Medal as the best player in division one last year's national U18 Carnival.  Now that doesn't necessarily mean he'll be a good league player.

Hope he takes notice of this and starts to show some of that promise this year.  Lets hope he has a big year and shows us what some of the hype was about.

if we can win more than 7 or 8 games a season this kid has a brownlow written all over him !!!!!

i hope he gets more help in the middle this year otherwise expect him to be tagged right out of it.

Agreed PRR. He could possibly be the next Ricciutto,my favourite none Tiger player.

His only weakness as far as I can see is his disposal is not up in the elite of a Buckley for example.He 's still young and could easily improve in that dept.