Daily Player reviews #4 Matthew Rogers | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Daily Player reviews #4 Matthew Rogers

OMH

Tiger Cub
Jan 4, 2003
One of the guys who is in a Tigers e-mail loop with me at work is putting together a one-a-day player critique starting at #1 and working through the player list. It's a pretty good read so I thought I would share it with you.

Part 4 in the series….

4 - Matthew Rogers

Position: Midfield / Utility
Age: Turned 29 in November - this is his last "Non-30's" season
Height: 184cm
Weight: 86kg
Career Games: 179
Career Goals: 159
Draft History: Draft selection 37 in the 1992 National Draft. Waited a year before joining the Tigers in 94. Same draft that got Tape, Bullus & Richarson (Father-son). Along with Campbell (89) and Richo, the only surviving Draftee pre-95 at Tigerland (pre-96 if you exclude Bowden - F&S, Holland - Trade)

2002 Averages: 19 Games, 10.5 Kicks, 5.3 Marks, 5.1 Handballs, 0.52 Goals, 1.8 Tackles, 2 Rebounds, 2.1 Inside 50s, 1.1 Clearance, 1.7 Clangers

2002 Summary: On the surface it doesn't look too bad, but it was an up and down year for Rogers, getting dropped (for what I'm sure was the first time in his career) and was simply terrible in the middle of the year when he was dropped for the second time. Did however respond very well when recalled to the seniors, with quality effort against Sydney where he beat Kelly and won plenty of it himself as well as his return effort against Collingwood late in the season a very good game as well. Mixed up some very good with some really bad, and a fair few not quite up to the mark.

Previously: Suffered a leg (?) injury early in 2001 when he was flying and never looked "right" after that, finishing with 30 goals from 23 games as a permanent forward. Was one player to look half reasonable when we got flogged in the first final by Essendon. Overall 2001 was a let down for him after a big year in 2000 when he took the role of "medium forward" and kicked 37 goals from 17 games, suffered as serious injury and missed a number of games and the Tigers fortunes dived during the same time. Prior to that Rogers had been a consistent "spare parts" man, playing every where through the midfield, down back, up forward and in a run with role. Has never been a big winner - tending around the 14 touches a game, with career highs in 98 of 18.5 and around 16 in 99 & 96.

Ability: 6.5 - I rate Rogers above average on ability, he is versatile and this ability to fill just about any gap has probably hurt him in some ways.
Offence: 6.5 - Again above average, but has that wonderful Richmond trait of often missing what he should get. Is quite strong on a lead and prepare to put the body on the line to assist team mates up forward.
Defence: 5.5 - Will work back and is one of our few "two-way" players in that he can keep a player down and work off him to provide drive. Spent a lot of time playing from the backline through his career.
Hardness: 7 - Well above average in my book, particularly given he's not a huge man. Regularly seen Rogers backing back into traffic to take a mark overhead or on his chest. Not renown for getting "at the pack" (actually just doesn't seem that good at getting to a contest), but still not scared to put his body underneath a pack when he's there.
Speed: 5 - Of average pace, probably one of the things that has prevented him becoming a permanent midfielder, but by no means slow.
Stamina: 6 - No reason to question his capacity to run out a game, may not run it out as hard as some though.
Delivery: 5 - Let's himself down a bit, by his ability to kick equally blindly off both feet. Always been prepared to use either side of his body, often to his detriment, known to kick long to nobody at times, but still far from our worst and penetration reasonable.
Air: 6.5 - Was always reasonable overhead and safe on his chest has improved over this aspect over the last 4-5 years and now appears more a one-grabber than he was earlier.
Ground: 7 - Maybe bias, but even though he wouldn't have a great reputation as a pack player, I frequently see Rogers putting himself in at the bottom of the pack, more likely to provide the smart knock-on and deft touch. Is reliable below his knees.
Injury: 7.5 Apart from 2000 & 2001, I can't really recall Rogers missing much footy aside from 97 where he had leg problems. No "Big" injuries of note, and no chronic problems.
Ruck: 0 - O.K. Kellaway surprised me, so I looked it up - Rogers has 2 Hit outs credited to him in the stats I can find, and I'm sure they're both a case of mistaken identity.
Temperament: 8.5 - Gains bonus points for having played important games in important roles. Never remember him spitting the dummy or sooking of any major note.
Ball: 6 - Above average ball winner who can really turn on the big games, when given the opportunity. Hasn't done it on a regular basis to be a big "numbers" man which has either been the cause of a lack of time as a pure midfielder or the result. Maybe a bit of both.

Strengths: Is hard at it, stronger in the body than he looks, strong overhead for his size and good on the lead. Very versatile and comparatively minimal weaknesses to exploit.

Weaknesses: Can at times be exploited by the really quick guys and too often will let fly with an "unthinking" kick long and
to no-one. Annoys me to watch him with time and space kick with his non-preferred foot just because he can! Not great at
getting into a pack and dishing out the quick handball. Also has a habit of "getting where the ball ain't" at times.

Overall: I'm a Rogers fan, I think if he was allowed to settle into a midfield role in a better side with a better spread of talent he'd be a far more "recognised" player. Tends to do everything pretty well, but maybe nothing spectacularly well to catch the eye. Would be the most versatile player at the club and has succeeded in just about every position except for Ruck and Orange boy where I believe he constantly tried to cut them in 6ths rather than quarters. I always think he does of a lot more of the unnoticed stuff than he gets credit for and probably only the Kellaways could count more times in their highlight reels a mark running backwards into traffic. Probably doesn't have the in-close skills to be a 22 game 4 quarter midfielder, but given his ability I'd like to see him play more regularly there with stints up forward and even be used to go head to head with a dangerous midfielder like a Voss - with his ability to mark up forward would be the only Tiger I can think off that could genuinely run with a player and force them to account for him as well.

What he needs to do?

1) Maintain a level of consistency - with age catching up with him, a couple of poor runs of form like last year is a big no-no
2) Take more care when kicking inside 50 - has gotten better but still bombs too often.
3) Make more contests.

PMac

This sure beats workin'
Dec 17, 2002
Sydney
Re: Daily Player reviews #4 Matthew Rogers Pt2

A trend is forming here, really good and accurate analyses just keep on coming.

I agree Rogers seems one of those players with all (or at least most) of the skills but is just lacking that little bit of extra nous to but himself where the ball is going to be more regularly (hence the low numbers).

I also agree that one of the difficulties for Rogers is that it appears to have been difficult for him to learn how to play any one position really well as his usefulness makes its very tempting to employ him as a gap filler.

As for where to go now, well - I may differ a little from OMH here - go forward youny man. As a 30 something runnng midfielder he has, perhaps two years left. As a medium forward/back perhaps 3 or 4. Given the changes in the midfield I see less need for him in there and the progress of Zantuck and the move of Campo down back covers the medium backs so I reakon Rogers should be looking to go up front permanently.

1. It will extend his career.
2. Moving there now gives him longer to make the position his own.
3. The tigers are weak there anyway.
4. It limits the impact of Rogers 2 biggest problems - its not so hard to find the ball, it will find you; and what to do with the ball is a really simple equation - go for goal.
5. Rogers experience in the midfield has sharpened up his hardness and accountability so putting him up front will bolster our attack in those areas (which may be needed if we bring in a few very small forwards like Krackour and Pettifer).

Rampaging_Richo

Making the easy seem incredible
Dec 19, 2002
Melbourne

Rogers biggest weakness, one which is exposed every week is his constant fumbling of the ball. A good mate of mine picked up on it back in 1996, but I strongly disagreed at the time, but now can see what he means.

Is built like a sherman tank, but doesn't use it nearly enough. His hit on Wakelin in rd 1 2002 was what he should be doing every week.

I would think this would be his last year. Has been a great servant, but time is up..

Tigerdog

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002

I agree RR that we need to see more Wakelin style bumps from M Rogers but at the same time I think we need that in atleast 6 of our players. Having one or two guys do it every couple of weeks or so isnt good enough. We need to have Rogers doing it aswell as Hilton, Zantuck, Otto, D Kellaway and Staffy (but hes gotta keep those elbows down :-X).
And then we can have other guys chipping in with a cameo role with an effective bump every two weeks or so. And combine this with a much harder tackling work ethic and then we start to see the Tigers as we would like to. (Plus a big skill lift but most of that comes through confidence which is improved by the one percenters as above).
As someone said previously on here I want the Tigers to be feared, hated, and respected again!