Daily Player reviews #5 Brad Ottens Pt2 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Daily Player reviews #5 Brad Ottens Pt2

OMH

Tiger Cub
Jan 4, 2003
Daily Player reviews #5 Brad Ottens

One of the guys who is in a Tigers e-mail loop with me at work is putting together a one-a-day player critique starting at #1 and working through the player list. It's a pretty good read so I thought I would share it with you.

Part 5 in the series….

5 - Brad Ottens

Position: Ruck / Tall Forward
Height: 201cm
Weight: 100kg
Career Games: 99
Career Goals: 126
Draft History: Drafted No 2 in the 1997 National Draft behind the big young gun at the time - Travis Johnston. We acquired selection 2 as a trade for Chris Bond & Selection 21 (Which the Dockers used to get Clem Michaels).

2002 Averages: 20 Games, 8 Kicks, 5.1 Marks, 5.7 Handballs, 1.35 Goals, 18.8 Hit Outs, 2 Tackles, 0.5 Rebounds, 2.45 Inside 50s, 3.5 Clearance, 2.7 Clangers

Stats Fact: Not really a bit thing, but on the stats I've got (only go back to 94), Brad last year had the highest average number of hit-outs per game, surpassing Benny (only just) a few years back. Noted it more for the fact that he shared it with Stafford who also averaged over 10. Interesting what might happen if he plays there more. And before anyone says anything - yes it's a very highly over-rated statistic, but is interesting to see how well he can get hand on ball.

2002 Summary: Supposed to take the competition apart in 2002 and generally disappointed everyone - or did he? Here was a 22yo 201cm player with less than 100 games of AFL footy averaging nearly 14 possessions a game, kicking 27 goals and averaging nearly 19 hit outs per game sharing the Ruck with Stafford & Hall - those are similar numbers to what Matthew Primus delivered for Port. Was he that bad, or did we expect too much. Little bit of both - mainly the later I think. Ottens at time looked to me like he was suffering badly from being thrown around too much and at times looked either unfit or not fully focused and it was a surprise to see his normally safe hands fail him a number of times. For the first time in his career he didn't progress from the previous year, but his "fall back" year of 2002 was comparable to 2000, so it's not like he disappeared off the radar. Biggest worry though was his ability to completely fluff a disposal - up till now he'd been a revelation for a player of his size and age to pick good options and deliver well - not perfect, but damn good. Last year he was cringe factor at times as you could see him about to cough it up. Still managed to finish 5th in the B&F, which I thought was about spot on. His ruck work I believed has continued to improve, although at times remains a bit amateurish, but it was noticeable in the second half of the year how well he teamed with Coughlan in the centre square showing that when he gets it right (and has someone to get it right with) he can be very good. Did use his body more with a bit more preparedness to take a hit and use his weight but a long way to go in that regards.

Previously: All-Australian in 2001 when also 5th in Richmond's B&F. Averaged nearly 15 possessions a game, 6.9 Marks and 1.9 Goals to prove dangerous up forward and in the middle of the ground and that year was a nice step up from 2000 where he was also very good with not dissimilar numbers and another top-10 B&F finish. The previous two years were his "baby years" as he just started to kick off his career.

Ability: 9 - In the top bracket in terms of ability - showed very early in his career very crisp hands and a beautiful kicking style. Remarkable attributes for a man his size and age and at times his agility is astounding. One of the few pure "natural" looking quality footballers we've had for a long time.
Offence: 7.5 - Well above average, beautiful kick at goal, leads well and a strong mark particularly in a contested situation Could do a bit more to bring his smaller players into the game, but that will come as the body matures and the packs get split a bit more often.
Defence: 4 - I'm a bit of a hard marker here on Ottens. His capabilities have meant that he's rarely been tested by a player he has to worry about - generally the big gun in the middle has coped someone else as Otto settles up forward - or they've played well apart from each other, but at times when I've thought he could have manned up, he's often fallen short of the mark. Still not a monster worry.
Hardness: 5 - Average, his size allows him to crash through often unimpeded. Getting better, but not that strong at the bounce yet. I've seen a few critics say that Ottens has to be prepared to get hurt at the centre - I don't agree, the main thing he needs to do is learn how to use his body to avoid getting hurt. At the moment he will tend to avoid the contest and give a nothing tap to nowhere. I think his ruck technique has a long way to go and as a consequence he might be getting belted around a bit in the middle and becoming gun-shy.

OMH

Tiger Cub
Jan 4, 2003
Speed: 4 - Very good for his size, but does take a while to wind up. Has enough on the lead to be dangerous.
Stamina: 4 - Has looked to wane at the end up the few matches I saw where he predominately rucked.
Delivery: 4.5 - If you asked me 12 months ago I would have said 6, 2002 saw too him way too often miss the mark. The most disappointing part of his game last year for me.
Air: 8.5 - Technically very good in the air, seemed to lose his way in the air last year and struggling a bit when denied a free run at the ball. I tend to think his marking downturn last year was temporary and he will address the body on body stuff as he gets stronger
Ground: 5.5 - Quite remarkable on the ground for his size, good below his knees and feed ground balls off pretty well.
Injury: 8 - Been very resilient, but has had a couple of little niggles missing a few games. Loses a point for off-season mishap!
Ruck: 7 - I think he's a much more natural Ruckman than he's been given credit for and in tandem with Coughlan at times was exceptionally good at shovelling the ball with skill and finesse - however needs a lot of work technically to use his body at Centre Bounces and around the ground where he tends to lose position too easily resulting in either a very easy knock to his opponent or a very badly directed tap from himself. At times he seems to prefer to try and release himself from the direct contest to attack a ball up or throw in like a marking contest, grabbing the ball and attempting to break free with often minimal results. As a shock tactic this is great and needs to be in his arsenal (as he's actually not bad at it), but it was a bit overused. Still tough to judge a 23yo Ruckman too harshly - will be very interesting to watch his work this year.
Temperament: 8.5 - Seems to handle himself enough, no visible signs of a poor temperament.
Ball: 6 - Above average in his ability to win the football, probably the one area out of these ratings where I believe he will significantly improve as he has the ability to be a class "Ruck-Rover" type now.

Strengths: Very strong in the air, beautiful kicking style, tons of ability and appears to have all the weapons to be an "A" grade player. 201cms of quality player make him an exceptionally dangerous player.

Weaknesses: Body on body struggles, take away his run and his marking struggles, lacks the necessary smarts to throw in body into the centre bounce safely. Disposal results have substance a long way from style. Can be very inconsistent through the course of a game, particularly as a forward does tend to fade in and out (actually more like big glare, quick fade and disappear) of the game, with a number of matches where he was dominate early then barely seen.

Overall: Personally my pick as the best 195cm+ Midfielder in the competition. Has the capacity to get Darcy like possessions counts but be far more damaging as a Ruckman. Lot of conjecture if he's better as a forward or a ruckman. Personally I think he's neither yet. Sheer height, good hands, good lead and a reliable shot on goal makes him a dangerous forward although I'm not convinced he's best suited there where he's been good, but never seemed quite right. Sheer height, good leap, good balance and athleticism make him a damaging ruckman but technique lets him down. What to do? I'd pump the ruck coaching into him (sorry Danny - but Stewie Lowe is not the man for this job), run him predominately in the middle where talent alone makes him at least the ruckman (if not better) than Stafford and the far more capable footballer overall, and the sooner Ottens develops into a quality Ruckman which I believe he can the sooner Richmond moves towards being a genuine contender for September. In the middle he looks like a guy who can be a "Top 10" type, genuinely dominant. Last year he combined very well at times with Coughlan, this year Johnston adds to that mix. He can win the ruck, and if he can start to direct it more Richmond have the cornerstone of building a successful side. Suffers from often unrealistic expectations and having just turned 23 is probably still two years away from his best form. Last year was almost certainly an aberration and I expect the progress he's been on to continue. There has been a lot of talk about Brad & Brownlows - I'll be happy with a Norm Smith medal - probably around 2006 but I would say he's the best chance we have to see Charlie at Tigerland.

What he needs to do?
1) Ruck Coaching - Pity we appointed Lowe just prior to Dempsey leaving the Dogs. His technique is poor - outbodied and out-positioned too often, will often still win the hit but with near-zero control. Improvement in technique and smarts here will show immensely as he does have a natural talent for getting his hand to the ball.
2) Running work - I don't think he's settled his running style entirely into his body yet. Some harder work, more technique as he's got a great build for footy would see him gain some greater initial pace and more efficiency enabling him to Ruck as long as he needs to.
3) Disposal - whether he just kept picking bad options (most likely) or just lost his radar has a bad turnover habit he must fix and now! I do sometimes wonder if it's Punt Road - the longer you're there the worse things get (Just ask Leon).

PMac

This sure beats workin'
Dec 17, 2002
Sydney
Agree entirely.

Most important thing to remember, he's just 23. He wont even hit his phyisical peak for another 3-4 years and will probably (knock on wood) be capable of playing til his mid thirties.

MC24

Tiger Superstar
Jan 14, 2003
Like a lot of others, I'd like to think that the 2002 form (or lack of) of most players was just an aberration. Not much went right, so even the best were made to look ordinary at times. What I love about this game is that a new season brings new hope.

Otto is one player I just love to watch. There's not much he can't do on a footy ground. When he flies for a mark, there are occasions when it seems like time is standing still.

One area that I feel will greatly improve Brad's game is his ability to work through the 'tough patches' of a game. If he can push through those times, it will give him confidence in himself and his ability can do the rest. And we all know how good that is. When he can do that, his consistency will improve and we won't see the 'all or nothing' quarters that we've seen up until now.

Good luck Otto.

Tigerdog

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Great work once again OMH.You and your friend really know your stuff :)

I am a big Otto fan I must say, so what I am about to say may sound biased but here goes...

I think alot of the times too much is expected of Brad Ottens, yes we know he has the ability and he will be a great player(hopefully plays all his footy as a tiger) but as mentioned earlier he is still only in his early 20s and that for a ruckman is nothing in fact I would say to this point he probably has exceeded expectations.
That last year was supposedly a bad year for him is interesting based on those stats ( I know stats can deceive) that are comparable to M Primus. As I have said before primus has better palm work and is more physical but in all other areas such as mobility, forward work and ground work and many others Ottens is better. Primus would be almost 30 I am sure and has played with atleast 2 clubs so his experience is far greater. When Otto has been in the game for that amount of time he will be known as a truly great player. Also on last season for Otto he was required to do alot more than would have been ideal, but ultimately with a more settled ruck/forward combination this year that may prove to be a blessing. And not forgetting he did have surgery post season on a nasal complaint or something which is handy cause if ya gonna run around all day kickin other teams bums then itd be nice to be able to breathe properly!!
I am confident Otto will have a big year and wish him all the best.
And agree with OMH that S loewe is not the answer to our ruck coach problem.

A

admin

I am a bit surprised at all of the reports on the official site about Otto's bad year etc.
He wasn't alone, and far from our worse. He has mentioned health problems, though not using them as an excuse.
He has a massive responsibility for such a young guy.
I thought his marking was down last year, but that can be a confidence thing, and that is a commodity that was lacking throughout the whole team.
I'm glad we've got Otto at Richmond, I see him as our most important player.

MC24

Tiger Superstar
Jan 14, 2003
I am a bit surprised at all of the reports on the official site about Otto's bad year etc.
He wasn't alone, and far from our worse.

I'm glad we've got Otto at Richmond, I see him as our most important player.

Exactly Rosy. Why is Otto being singled out? I think it should be across the board, if they're going to take that tack.

As I've said previously, if we're going to be a good team then we need an impact from each player each week, not just the same three or four.

Koalalill

Just looking for someone else to curse!
Dec 17, 2002
Interesting view OMH. I agree with much of what has been said but I tend to think at ground level Ottens is outstanding for his size.

It is one of my great frustrations to see a 201cm bloke burrowing in the bottom of packs and the small fellas standing around watching. Otto's skills at ground level are amazing at times. People seem to focus on the big marks and goals but his efforts in the 1 per centers are exceptional.

I agree that he needs to bulk-up to have more presence in ruck contests. But from what I have seen of him in the last month he has addressed this. My biggest concern with Brad at the moment is the effect that Loewe is going to have on him. A staggering appointment to say the least.