Daily Player reviews #6 Mark Chaffey | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Daily Player reviews #6 Mark Chaffey

OMH

Tiger Cub
Jan 4, 2003
One of the guys who is in a Tigers e-mail loop with me at work is putting together a one-a-day player critique starting at #1 and working through the player list. It's a pretty good read so I thought I would share it with you.

Part 6 in the series….

6 - Mark Chaffey

Position: Small Defender / Midfield
Height: 179
Weight: 80
Career Games: 102
Career Goals: 23
Draft History: Selection 35 in 96 National Draft (our second pick). Was regarded as a "Smokey" coming from Caulfield Grammar (not uncommon at Tigerland at the time) had basically missed the eyes of most recruiters having taken a punt on playing Baseball in the US. Probably fair to say he was yet another one of our famous recruiting gambles.

2002 Averages: 19 Games, 11.4 Kicks, 5 Marks, 5.7 Handballs, 0.21 Goals, 1.3 Tackles, 2.5 Rebounds, 2.3 Inside 50s, 1.1 Clearance, 1.3 Clangers

2002 Summary: Missed the first two games of the year then started like a house on fire, faded a bit and continued to have a bit of an up and down year. Went missing badly at times but overall a reasonable though unspectacular year. Showed good courage and marking overhead was again a bit of a feature. Seemed to play predominately as a loose man/link man type of player providing the option rather than getting to the contest himself. Generally a bit down on the previous two years. Did fill the "Hole" well at times. Missed the top 10 in the B&F which was probably a true reflection on where he stood for the year. Disposal was decent without being ultra impressive.

Previously: Averaged over 18 possessions a game in 2001 with 5.4 Marks in a good more consistent year in which he deservedly finished in the top 10 at the B&F in Richmond's best year since 95. Big tick was his performance in the three finals where he impressed. Thought he was actually slightly better in 2000 (Also top 10 finish) with nearly 20 possessions a game and really looked ready to thrust himself into the top ranks.

Ability: 6 - I think he's an above average player, without the "weapons" to jump into the next group. Good hands and a penetrating kick.
Offence: 4 - Never really seen that much of him in attack and haven't seen him fill the forward "front-and-square" spot which should be his go when there. Is strong overhead so when contesting against similar sized players could have the advantage there. Would be interesting to see how he'd go but could be exploited for pace.
Defence: 7 - I think he's very good playing a role in defence - maybe less so playing strictly to negate an opponent. Is the interception type that fills the hole, crowds the space and reads the incoming ball well.
Hardness: 7 - Good solid tough player, although didn't really produce that much of it in 2002, being used more in space and less in close. Couldn't knock his courage and will back into a pack prepared to take a bump.
Speed: 4.5 - His major achillis heel. I rate him below average for a league player, and for a guy his size that's almost a death knock. Would have to improve to take a midfield role.
Stamina: 6 - Never seen too much reason to question his ability to run out a game, and often playing the link role was required to do a lot of work. Did look like he can fade towards the end of games at times though, but that wasn't that noticeable or regular.
Delivery: 6.5 - Penetrating and reliable kick, does struggle to pick options tending to be a bit tunnel visioned. Also quite a one-sided player he does however usually deliver the ball well.
Air: 7.5 - Actually given his size is an exceptionally strong mark. Rarely do you see him fumble and generally very clean.
Ground: 6.5 - Less and less inclined to help provide numbers at the ball - probably more so the fact that he's become a designated link man rather than the go-getter as he's not great close-in. Still reliable with the ball loose and doesn't panic when it's free too much.
Injury: 9 - Has had a few niggles, but not missed a lot of footy and appears pretty resilient to punishment.
Ruck: - Definitely Not Applicable!
Temperament: 6.5 - Has hung the head a few times - I wouldn't think he's demonstratively loud, but doesn't come across as a Kellaway type in this department.
Ball: 7 - Is a good ball winner, although perhaps it's due more to his role. Not sure if he could translate that into big numbers as a regular midfielder - but I'd be prepared to find out.

Strengths: Hard at it, penetration off his left foot and exceptional in the air for a guy under 6 foot.

Weaknesses:  Not great in close, fails to spot options when disposing of the footy, lacks genuine running ability and speed.

Overall:  I've compared Chaffy to Knights a couple of times to show the big discrepancy.  Knights used to find time and space for himself then spot 15 different options, he wasn't necessarily a better kick, just looked like it.  Chaffy isn't as good at finding that time from close-in (although quite good at making space for himself outside) and when he has it, becomes a bit tunnel visioned, if it ain't in the direction he's travelling at the time he don't seem to see it too often.  That along with his lack of pace makes life a bit difficult for him.  He's never really made that step up he threatened to do after 2000 and is now approaching that time in his career where he either becomes a permanent and expendable flanker or makes a mark for himself in the midfield where I have doubts if he has the running ability/pace and close-in work to make a decent impact.  I have him in my top 10 at the club at the moment, but he does need to take a big step or others will overtake him and he doesn't seem to have that something special.  I'd like to see him given a few more run-with roles  on some of the slower midfielders around to see if he can become a two-way midfielder, both capable of providing drive while  keeping an opponent under tabs. Wouldn't want to slip any further back in 2003 or his spot might start to look shaky, although probably not for a couple of years (when we might have someone capable of actually taking it).  Like Rogers is at a stage of his career where consistency should be excepted, not a surprise.

What he needs to do?
1)  Speed - very hard to make a slow footballer quicker and I'm sure they've put a lot of work into it, but every little bit counts and he needs every bit he can get.
2)  Develop more peripheral vision - be prepared to take more of a look around him.
3)  Work harder on his close-in work which he'll need if he wants to get more in the thick of it.

A

admin

Re: Daily Player reviews #6 Mark Chaffey Pt2

Overall:  I've compared Chaffy to Knights a couple of times to show the big discrepancy.  Knights used to find time and space for himself then spot 15 different options, he wasn't necessarily a better kick, just looked like it.  Chaffy isn't as good at finding that time from close-in

I don't see Chaff really needing to play like Knighter, he has his own strengths.  Knighter wasn't as good defensively or in the air as Chaff.

Speed:  4.5 - His major achillis heel.  I rate him below average for a league player, and for a guy his size that's almost a death knock.  Would have to improve to take a midfield role.

To me it speaks volumes that Chaff has done so well despite his shortcomings.  He mightn't be an Olympic sprinter, but I think he certainly earns his spot.
I think Chaff is rarely beaten and imo he's our most under rated player.
He's a quiet achiever and up near the top of my favourite players list.
We need guys for positions other than the midfield too.

From afl.com.au
Already one move forecast by Frawley during the pre-season is to switch regular defender Mark Chaffey into attack, where the Tigers hope his strong marking will boost their firepower after their attack struggled last year to cope in the absence of the injured Richardson.

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002

if we had more players like Chaffey we'd be a lot better off.

mightytiges

The greatest Tiger of them all - Jack Dyer R.I.P.
Dec 16, 2002

IMO a bit harsh on Chaffs. As a member of our back six he is part of what has been our strength in the last few years - our defence. He may not be as talented as some others but as rosy said he is rarely beaten and is our most under-rated player. There are many others that should have the finger pointed at them before chaffey.

PMac

This sure beats workin'
Dec 17, 2002
Sydney

Whilst hardling calling the guy a hack, the OMH assessment is a little harsh and I suspect its heavily influenced by Marks 02 season where he (amongst others) had a huge form drop off.

So Marc is at something of a cross-roads, can he play consistently at 00/01 levels or is 02 his "natural" level?

As for Midfield duties - I hope not. For the following reasons:
1. too slow
2. not enough hard ball gets to be an inside player, not creative enough to be an outside player
3. not really needed in the middle after trading but back six cant be neglected.

What I'd like to see:

Mark isnt suited to the midfield (IMO) however, he could certainly be a more attacking backman. Its always a risk but he has the skills to run through the lines a little more. (in 2000 in 18 games he took the ball inside 50 64 times, in 02 in 19 games that dropped to 44).

Rampaging_Richo

Making the easy seem incredible
Dec 19, 2002
Melbourne

I think Chaff struggled so much in 2002 as the backline was constantly under seige, and it all became too much.

However, I think Chaff is in our best 10-12 players as he has some attributes that make him very versatile;

- not Carl Lewis, but has reasonable speed, and can run off his men easily
- one of the best marks for his height in the league
- accurate kick
- gusty and will put his body in
- has the brains to run forward and sneak the odd goal in. Doesn't miss many.

Tigerdog

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002

I agree with all your posts basically Chaff is as honest as they come and looks like he puts in all the time!
Id like to see him play a Torney type role, cause I dont know if you guys remember but Torney was great for us!
He will be a bigger loss than some people anticipate I think you only have to look at replays of any game he played in where he flew for marks anywhere regardless of his personal safety and more often than not he took them!!
I can see Chaff doin this also but isnt he slightly shorter than Torney?

Also best of luck with your new club Jason, theres a few guys I would have swapped before you! All the best

Rampaging_Richo

Making the easy seem incredible
Dec 19, 2002
Melbourne

Tigerdog, I think the Campbell or Hilton, and the addition of a fit Cameron will easily fill the hole that Torney has left.

JT was expendable, but I thought he was a great player, in that he should have been cut by the club in 1997 and 1999 but battled on to establish himself as a top line player.

I only hope he gets a go at Adelaide..

Tigerdog

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002

thats a good point RR but I personally still have doubts on Rory's accountability as a defender.