Daily Player reviews #7 Marc Dragicevic | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Daily Player reviews #7 Marc Dragicevic

OMH

Tiger Cub
Jan 4, 2003
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
One of the guys who is in a Tigers e-mail loop with me at work is putting together a one-a-day player critique starting at #1 and working through the player list. It's a pretty good read so I thought I would share it with you.

Part 7 in the series….

7 - Marc Dragicevic

Position: Small Forward  (Potentially Midfield)
Age: Hard to believe but come Round 1 - Draga is still only 21!! (22 two days later).
Height:  179
Weight:  80
Career Games: 43 
Career Goals: 24 
Draft History: Select 55 in the 1998 Draft as our only 17yo pick.  That year everyone was allowed one 17yo, our first pick was 40 when I think everyone (or nearly everyone) had already picked theirs, so effectively Draga was more like about pick 20.

2002 Averages:  Did Not Play after suffering a second Knee reco in the pre-season comp.

Previously: Managed 5 games into 2001 before Knee number 1 goes just shortly after he turned 20.  Hadn't really set the house on fire up to that stage, but had looked ready for a year of improvement.  2001 was hoped to be the year he started to develop into someone who would spend more time on the ground and gradually take a midfield spot.  Played 21 games as a 19yo in 2000 for 16 goals and an average of 7.6 disposals a game, 17 games as an 18yo in 1999 for 6 goals and 9.5 disposals per game in a very impressive debut season.  Both years was predominately run off the bench, so given the age and the lack of game time the numbers weren't that bad.  The only reserves game I can remember him play in that time he was completely dominate with a 30+ touch game.

Ability: 4.5 -  Harsh, Prior to the two knees I had no doubt Draga was above average - he just had to prove it.  He didn't get the chance to prove it and I'm a bit sceptical on players ability to survive 2 Knee recons.  Looked a natural footballer, but kicking style seemed a bit "off" to me.

Offence: 5.5 -  Did prove in the limited time he has put in so far that he has the capability to get to contests front and square pick up loose ball in the forward 50 and finish.  Conversion rate was pretty good.

Defence: 3.5 -  Below average but in fairness hasn't really had much of a chance to show this side.  Did show he was prepared to work pretty hard back and (IMHO) was a pretty strong tackler for his size with good technique.  Still looked like he'd never really covered anyone in his footy life and while he might have tried to do the right thing, didn't really seem to know how to do it all that well.

Hardness: 4 - Which isn't bad for a relatively small 19yo - which is effectively what he's being rated on.  I don't have much to say he's not hard, again just not enough evidence yet.

Speed:  5 - I put him as average, memory is a bit faded and probably quicker than average, but given 2 knees - we'll wait and see.

Stamina: 5 - See above.

Delivery:  5.5 - Slightly above average, occasionally floated them up, which maturity and strength would have helped him a bit with.

Air: 3.5 - Not a hack, but no great marking target.

Ground: 5 - Average, no real discernable weakness - did manage to keep his feet - gets to a contest pretty well and pretty good below his knees.

Injury: 2 - The fact he had two relatively injury free years in 99/00 are the only reason he didn't get a zero.

Ruck: 0 - Draga's first knee injury in 2001 cost him a perfect record - he had managed to record a hit out each season previously.  I think these statisticians need their eyes tested!

Temperament:  5 - O.K.  If you hadn't guessed, I'm coping out a lot here and just putting average all the time.  Realistically given what he's been through and the way he appears to be coming out of it he will rate much higher, and maybe Draga if he ever keeps the body in one piece is a future club leader, however my memory of a 19yo is nothing much either way.  Did seem to have the "mad stare" going a couple of times from memory.

Ball: 4 - Probably a factor of lack of opportunities on the ground, but hasn't been the ball winner he looks like he should be.  If he manages to settle down in a side (Seniors or Seconds) in a spot for a while we'll get a better bead on this.

Strengths:  Made the contest pretty well, technically looked pretty good, tackling was noticeably "efficient" for his size and looked a "natural" footballer with some footy smarts.

Weaknesses:  His body just keeps failing him, occasionally would float his kicks and I was never sure if he had the running ability to become a gun midfielder.

Overall:  Allright - I'll be perfectly honest, I have no idea if Dragicevic can play or not - end of story.  My memories are a bit dim of what he could do and how he could do it, so pretty much everything you've read so far is complete made up dribble.  We saw the first half of his total AFL career and have completely missed the second half.  The "Kid" is still only 21, has played 43 games predominately as a teenager and in the 2 years where he should be making the step from apprentice to fully fledged senior player - he cops two Knee Reco's.  There's no way I'd have judged him on 99/00 other than being encouraged he could cope at that level at all, but 01/02 were the years we got to really see if he was "on-track".  I couldn't see any other club being interested in trading anything of value for him, we've invested a fair bit into him already by nursing him through the last two years.  Draga will be value if he can stay upright for a season and play some moderate football.  He won't have to star, just look capable of holding a senior spot, then 2004 hopefully will be a year he shows what he can or can't do.  I have one big wish for Draga from the Coaching staff - DO NOT PLAY HIM IN THE SENIORS FOR AT LEAST 6 WEEKS!  This guy has spent his whole career either limping or playing 10-15 minutes on a flank in the seniors.  5-6 weeks at Coburg and lets wait until he has a few BOG's and confidence that he can really play before bringing him up the firsts.  And only bring him up when we have a realistic role for him there - not just encouragement off the bench.  Just coming up to 22 he is 2 years behind in his football development because of injuries and probably further behind because he hasn't had enough grounding in the seconds.

What he needs to do?
1)  Stay upright and intact.
2)  Gain confidence at Coburg first before returning to seniors.
3)  Get a highlights tape of him put up on Foxtel so we can remember what he plays like.

A

admin

Re: Daily Player reviews #7 Marc Dragicevic Pt2

It amazes me that Dragga is approaching 50 games considering his age and his injury history.

I agree we don't need any heroics from him.
The club has persisted with him and surely their main interest would be to have him able to stay on the track this season, then hopefully a lot of improvement and a big part in our teams long term future.

I'm all for him playing at Coburg for a while rather than just spend all his time on the bench in the seniors, which has been a bit of prior history for him.

In reality none of us really know what Dragga can do. He's certainly shown some very good signs though.

Good luck with injury Dragga, take your time getting into it again and look forward to a long career at Tigerland.