Damien Hardwick On SEN This Morning | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Damien Hardwick On SEN This Morning

waiting since 80

simply The Boss!
Aug 9, 2009
avondale heights
RedanTiger said:
When Dimma talked about JR slimming down and moving further upfield, what crossed my mind was the comment Sheedy made a long time ago about Hird.

Hird was one of the best CHFs in his early years but Sheddy decided not to build him up to allow him to compete on more equal physical terms with a big CHB.
When asked about it, Sheedy replied that if he built up Hird and played him as a CHF, Hirds career would be shortened by years.
A few years after that when Hird had gone to more of a midfield role he built up one year and got lots of injuries. He decided to slim down and had few further stress injuries.
Same was true of Buckley.

Think this is the exact reasoning about Jack. Personally don't want him carrying too much weight simply to compete on strength terms with Fullbacks or to play the classic strong CHF role.
Think Dimma still sees Jack as a third tall that would be virtually unstoppable one-on-one, same as Richo but a better kick.

Now thats a good post!. :clap

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002
Elmer said:
0330chewbacca.jpg

the chewbacca defense get's em' everytime. :)

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

Ocker

Pitbull Martin - Release him Dimma!
May 15, 2008
RedanTiger said:
When Dimma talked about JR slimming down and moving further upfield, what crossed my mind was the comment Sheedy made a long time ago about Hird.

Hird was one of the best CHFs in his early years but Sheddy decided not to build him up to allow him to compete on more equal physical terms with a big CHB.
When asked about it, Sheedy replied that if he built up Hird and played him as a CHF, Hirds career would be shortened by years.
A few years after that when Hird had gone to more of a midfield role he built up one year and got lots of injuries. He decided to slim down and had few further stress injuries.
Same was true of Buckley.

Think this is the exact reasoning about Jack. Personally don't want him carrying too much weight simply to compete on strength terms with Fullbacks or to play the classic strong CHF role.
Think Dimma still sees Jack as a third tall that would be virtually unstoppable one-on-one, same as Richo but a better kick.
Geez...how well are we going when only our 3rd tall wins the Coleman Medal!

We're on to kick 200 more goals than any team in 2011....

Juffaricho

"Pressure wins Premierships"
Oct 26, 2007
Champion Full Forwards win Coleman's.
Champion Midfielders win Brownlow's.
Champion Centre-Half-Forwards win Premierships.

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
Nit sure the latter holds true anymore juffa.

Who's been the champion CHF's to win flags over the past 5 years?

lamb22

Tiger Legend
Jan 29, 2005
Juffaricho said:
Champion Full Forwards win Coleman's.
Champion Midfielders win Brownlow's.
Champion Centre-Half-Forwards win Premierships.

So Mooney and Cloke are better than (Nick) Riewoldt then?

Juffaricho

"Pressure wins Premierships"
Oct 26, 2007
lamb22 said:
So Mooney and Cloke are better than (Nick) Riewoldt then?
None of them are champions....

I was looking more at the last 25 years and thinking the best 3 CHF's like Jonathon Brown, Dermott Brereton & Wayne Carey.
Versus Tony Lockett, Gary Ablett Snr and Dunstall (He's the exception).
Mifielder's - well where do you start.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Navy Days said:
Who's been the champion CHF's to win flags over the past 5 years?
Barry Hall would be the closest, although technically it was six years ago now. Was a huge factor in the win though. Fair to say if he'd got his right whack for belting Maguire the Swans would not have won.

But yeah, in the age of pressing and zoning, when two entire teams are often in little more than one half of the ground, CHF is not what it used to be. Neither is FF. Instead of holding their positions and leading up to the ball, forwards get sucked up the ground, often lead from there and then double back into space. A young Richo would thrive in today's footy.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
spook said:
But yeah, in the age of pressing and zoning, when two entire teams are often in little more than one half of the ground, CHF is not what it used to be. Neither is FF. Instead of holding their positions and leading up to the ball, forwards get sucked up the ground, often lead from there and then double back into space. A young Richo would thrive in today's footy.

So we get Jaaaack a little bit more aerobicly capable to be able to run up and back to open options and create space and people start to cry about it, Sheesh!
Jaaaack will thrive too, he's a seriously smart footballer, just needs that smidgin of extra aerobic athleticism

Reactions: 1 user

Phar Ace

"PRE just banned my biggest fan!"
Jun 17, 2004
Queensland
TigerMasochist said:
So we get Jaaaack a little bit more aerobicly capable to be able to run up and back to open options and create space and people start to cry about it, Sheesh!
Jaaaack will thrive too, he's a seriously smart footballer, just needs that smidgin of extra aerobic athleticism

That's what i get too TM - too much anxiety by some - I can see jack doing similiar to to his cuz but from FF. He has to or he'll be locked down - also one less rotation makes FF a whole different beast as traditionally this possie has been the least ground covered by a player. It's a luxury that can no longer be afforded. For mine the coaching staff have worked out how the domino's will fall............................

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Phar Ace said:
That's what i get too TM - too much anxiety by some - I can see jack doing similiar to to his cuz but from FF. He has to or he'll be locked down - also one less rotation makes FF a whole different beast as traditionally this possie has been the least ground covered by a player. It's a luxury that can no longer be afforded. For mine the coaching staff have worked out how the domino's will fall............................
What is it they say about great minds, you me and The Wick. We got it sorted. ;D

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
TigerMasochist said:
I couldn't agree more. People are jumping at shadows.

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
Dimma on SEN after the 8am news ... lot's happened since this thread kicked off ... where the *smile* did that 10 years go?

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008
As someone who never listens to SEN I was a bit dubious about having Lyon and Watson - but it was worth listening to
My two bobs worth

Personal stuff was handled pretty respectfully by them and Dimma

Syd Stack - good to hear Dimma and club are still backing him in and that he’s currently doing a “power of work”

GF - a good rehash of Vlaustin and Bachar injuries
They asked about his inspiring half time talk - Dimma (joked) that he just said “ give it to Dusty”

This years Balta - maybe RCD also mentioned Ross, Aarts, but we have other really exciting prospects

Higgins, Markov - could have played games for us but if blokes want opportunity .. so be it ... can be replaced

Galucci - suits our style

Reactions: 9 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
As someone who never listens to SEN I was a bit dubious about having Lyon and Watson - but it was worth listening to
My two bobs worth

Syd Stack - good to hear Dimma and club are still backing him in and that he’s currently doing a “power of work”

They asked about his inspiring half time talk - Dimma (joked) that he just said “ give it to Dusty”

This years Balta - maybe RCD also mentioned Ross, Aarts, but we have other really exciting prospects

Higgins, Markov - could have played games for us but if blokes want opportunity .. so be it ... can be replaced

thanks a lot Tenacious, saved me having to listening to Gary Lyon

great to hear Stackmans got his head down and interesting to hear how we look for pieces to fit our chaotic jigsaw.

wonder what it is with Gallucci? speed and kicking I suppose? or maybe the tigers have a secret test and confirmed he has a random decision generator inside his head like Jason Cassagne?

Puntrd64

Tiger Superstar
Apr 2, 2005
My two bobs worth

Gary Lyon would have been the world's biggest hypocrite had he been disrespectful of Hardwick's personal life

Reactions: 2 users

Quickdraw

End of the drought
Jun 8, 2013
Handled the interview beautifully did our Dimma.

I know that at this time of year every club is pumping up their tyres about how they're going to go, but as a supporter, I came away from listening to the interview with a terrific sense of excitement for this year.

And they way he talked about young talent on the list, in the words of the late Big Kev, "I'm Excited"!

Reactions: 6 users