Damien Hardwick | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Damien Hardwick

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
Lost some of his best right hand men in Leppitsch and Macrae. The soft cap has hurt. He can’t do it all on his own.

Reactions: 2 users

Ghost of 29

Handball - its just a fad!!
Aug 16, 2008
He has had a really bad week as coach. Poor at match committee and really poor in the coaches box.

Reactions: 1 user

mad_tiggy911

Tiger Legend
Mar 30, 2009
I haven’t seen the team so disorganised since the Wallace days. I think his lack of support is telling. I reckon his affair has ruined any good karma we once had too.

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
Needs to lift. Poor selections and poor coaching this season. Coaching like a bloke who’s very happy with his record. As he should be. But he is in the chair for a while yet and has plenty of work to do.

Seems to have lost the edge much like many of the players.

Reactions: 1 users

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
I haven’t seen the team so disorganised since the Wallace days. I think his lack of support is telling. I reckon his affair has ruined any good karma we once had too.
Nothing competes to the Wallace years sorry.
20 goal losess
Games over before qtr time.
No thanks

Reactions: 2 users

OldTiger67

Tiger Rookie
Jun 6, 2016
Needs to lift. Poor selections and poor coaching this season. Coaching like a bloke who’s very happy with his record. As he should be. But he is in the chair for a while yet and has plenty of work to do.

Seems to have lost the edge much like many of the players.
Bring back Balmey, he has been far too long on the outer. Also bring back fly!111

Tigers2011

What did I miss dad?
May 6, 2007
Mt Waverley, Victoria
First thing he needs to do is instruct the team to take the game on & be direct - don’t go sideways. That was the first noticeable difference between 2016 & 2017. Secondly he has to address clearance & contested ball. Not negotiable - it isn’t just a turnover game anymore. Give our forwards the first chance. Thirdly - lots of player decisions to be made.

Reactions: 4 users

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
You’re right but not sure we ever kick only 2 goals in a game in the Wallace era.
The scoreline was a disaster but they we played tonight over shadowed the score.
In 2 weeks no-one will remember the score only how baldly we played. It was 1989 quality more then 2008 quality

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
The players usually light up with excitement when we get the ball, but lately those same players appear to be tensing up. Perhaps classical conditioning could partially explain it?

Playing a link in a clean, uncontested chain carries little reward, while the risk of major punishment looms over every possession in the chain:

Player A gets the ball. He tries to get it to player B. He didn’t stuff up - good.

Player B gets the ball. He tries to get it to player C. He didn’t stuff up - good.

Player C gets the ball. He tries to get it to player D. He didn’t stu—— oh god damn he stuffed it up, bloody hell, if he knew how to kick we would’ve got a goal!

I‘d like to see us go small, go fast, and go directly towards goal in unpredictable ways... funny enough, it seems to make the opposition feel tense.

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
With such a horrendous performance would the MC analyse the game to death or will they just go “ let’s never speak of thy again”

yandb

Tiger Champion
Mar 24, 2004
Hardwicks lack of tactical nous was exposed big time last night.

The loss in the last few seasons of good highly experienced assistants who have been replaced with new assistants who were supposably highly rated is now being

exposed.

In 2016 after we went down this path we had a clean out of all of Dimma's mates and a fresh group was assembled by Balme and it clicked.

But over the last few seasons those assistants have left to be replaced by this current group and we are being flogged tactically on a regular basis.

I believe the three assistants who have hurt us big time by their departures were Caracalla, Lepitch and Mccrae, the loss of these has re-exposed Hardwicks tactical

issues.

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002
Geez, you all turned on Hardwick really quick.

Don’t underestimate the impact of the rule changes. In a single offseason the AFL undermined years of meticulous list management and player preparation in a game plan that ultimately won 3 out of 4 flags. You cannot reasonably expect to Hardwick to radically alter the fundamental DNA of the team in a few rounds let alone in a single off-season and a shortened one at that.

It is going to take time and Hardwick deserves our patience. Heck he could never coach another winning team again and would still have a good case for a statue outside Punt Rd.

• Love
Reactions: 16 users

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
The scoreline was a disaster but they we played tonight over shadowed the score.
In 2 weeks no-one will remember the score only how baldly we played. It was 1989 quality more then 2008 quality

We kicked 3.11 at the Western Oval in late 1989 and speculation was rife that it was the end of the club. 1987-93 was another level compared to the Wallace era.

St Kevin

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2014
Rule changes and soft cap have definitely played a role. But for me the biggest issue across this year has been our delivery inside 50 and our forward structure. We are hot garbage in that regard.

Reactions: 5 users