Damien Hardwick | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Damien Hardwick

St Kevin

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2014
He thought he was shacking up with a young babe but if you follow their instagram she has him doing one DIY project after another.

It wouldn't surprise me if there's something to this. Hub love / lust ain't the same as love in the real world.

Reactions: 1 user

Tiger Pops

Tiger Champion
Apr 22, 2008
Melbourne
12th year as coach, most of us have ups and downs, family challenges, etc etc. naturally get grumpier as we get older.

278 RFC games as coach ( most games of any Richmond coach) - 56 % win rate. 3 time premiership coach... Id say we can cut him some slack.

He goes to bat for the umpires post / pre game again and again and again "the hardest game to officiate" yet the love is never reciprocated back. Time to call it as it is Dimma !!

Reactions: 3 users

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
Mr Damien Hardwick is sometimes criticised by fans of other clubs for a lack of flexibility on game day.

The critics are not altogether unreasonable.

Triple-Preeeeemiership Richmond Coaching Legend Mr Damien Hardwick is usually about establishing systems and building a future. And that has worked out for him so far.

In 2022 the established Richmond systems are, at best, a year or so from outmoded. Whatever we can establish will be a moment in time when the the archaic overlapped the novel. The future? It's this year.

You see, in 2022, there is nothing around. Nothing. So RFC can throw everything at it.

That's why we see Hardwick springing traps in early games. Like the Sydney game - Ross/Ralphsmith rapidly rotating on Heeney/McInernery.

Chris Scott springs traps because of his vanity. Hardwick does it because he can face facts.

We may have an overlap year. Youth - Daniel Rioli, Gibcus, MRJ, Ross/Ralphsmith coming through. Geriatrrics - Edwards, Riewoldt, Chimp, Grimes not far off their best.

And the burly, out of touch stars Martin and Prestia getting dirt under their fingernails.

Reactions: 2 users

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
Have you seen Mr Damien Hardwick in the box this year? Animated? You seeing this?

He can't just establish a system. He has to spring more traps. He wants to do this thing.

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
Why does Heeney matter? Sydney lacks mids. (We all do!)

Horse has been playing Heeney small this year. On other threads we talk about ball winning. We talk about ground ball. Isaac Heeney has levelled up with ground ball. But he's still no good against elites.

Horse knows that he lacks mids (miles better off without JJK). So he plays Heeney small. At first it's an ambush with Heeney the target of CB taps. Then he matches Heeney against a mid who can't compete in the air. Heeney pushes forward.

Ploys. Supercoach points. Exposed and foiled.

How'd Hardwick deal with the Heeney rumour? He got players off Heeney. Ross/Ralphsmith rotating playing tight then running to space.

Mr Damien Hardwick does not usually do this ploy/stratagem *smile*. It's an innovation of itself. Because ploys/stratagems don't last. (How's that Potato Green going now?)

You never build more than a quarter on a ploy. And even a quarter is bad for development.

I am fascinated to see how (easily) the AFL's best coach manages this from here.

Reactions: 3 users

snags

Tiger Superstar
Oct 28, 2005
Why does Heeney matter? Sydney lacks mids. (We all do!)

Horse has been playing Heeney small this year. On other threads we talk about ball winning. We talk about ground ball. Isaac Heeney has levelled up with ground ball. But he's still no good against elites.

Horse knows that he lacks mids (miles better off without JJK). So he plays Heeney small. At first it's an ambush with Heeney the target of CB taps. Then he matches Heeney against a mid who can't compete in the air. Heeney pushes forward.

Ploys. Supercoach points. Exposed and foiled.

How'd Hardwick deal with the Heeney rumour? He got players off Heeney. Ross/Ralphsmith rotating playing tight then running to space.

Mr Damien Hardwick does not usually do this ploy/stratagem *smile*. It's an innovation of itself. Because ploys/stratagems don't last. (How's that Potato Green going now?)

You never build more than a quarter on a ploy. And even a quarter is bad for development.

I am fascinated to see how (easily) the AFL's best coach manages this from here.
Horse’s ploy throwing Mills back lasted more than a quarter. I like tricks but even more so those conceived from the challenge within a game. I wished DH could’ve looked at our F50 and thrown it around to give a better structure to counteract the spare. DH professes we learn more from our losses than wins. I believe him and I reckon we’ll see some tweaks to personnel post bye.

Reactions: 1 users

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
Horse’s ploy throwing Mills back lasted more than a quarter. I like tricks but even more so those conceived from the challenge within a game. I wished DH could’ve looked at our F50 and thrown it around to give a better structure to counteract the spare. DH professes we learn more from our losses than wins. I believe him and I reckon we’ll see some tweaks to personnel post bye.

Mills went back after half time. Hardwick lamented that he wasn't able to engage the players in the counter tactic, even though they saw it. And copped it.

Horse is very old fashioned and predictable. The TV made a big deal of Pyke addressing the half-time Sydney adjustments but I think we made costly blues. Horse said he sent Mills back to stem the bleeding.

On Mills, he has achilles tendonitis and is hampered. But was awesome anyway. And better suited back.

Watching Hardwick in the box was very instructive. He was on edge all game. He was working for a living.

This was a bitter loss. A bitter, bitter loss. We failed. Hardwick did (and admitted it.) Could any good come of that?

Reactions: 2 users

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
On the Mills thing, thought this was the perfect match up for Short or Shai. Instead of rolling up, get them starting deep next to him and roll up only to the 50. Make Mills think about what to do. We did nothing tactical, massive cross to our coaching box. Mid game adjustment has always been my question mark about our coaching box. We aren’t good it. Back the system to prevail over the game.

Reactions: 5 users

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
Have you seen Mr Damien Hardwick in the box this year? Animated? You seeing this?

He can't just establish a system. He has to spring more traps. He wants to do this thing.
He’s not animated.
He’s dancing.
Thinks he’s at a Bob Marley concert. I’m waiting for the dredies.
Thank god we’ve got Cleaugue in there with him

snags

Tiger Superstar
Oct 28, 2005
The first change I was hoping to see has eventuated. Castagna let the coach and team down once too many times. I get the feeling the MC will be more democratic going forward.

Bernie

Tiger Superstar
Aug 19, 2008
Tura Beach
The first change I was hoping to see has eventuated. Castagna let the coach and team down once too many times. I get the feeling the MC will be more democratic going forward.
Or perhaps more purposeful and less forgiving shall be the MC!!

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
We can't lose Hardwick but we can't beg him to stay either.
Development is gone to shitt again and we need money spent on Development and new coaches.

Merveille

Tiger Champion
Apr 1, 2007
Port have a fresh player on.
What can Dimma do? Make a meaningful move anywhere?

• Sad

artball

labels are for canned food
Jul 30, 2013
had to do a bit of coaching in the last and did
changes could possibly have come a bit earlier