Damien Hardwick | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Damien Hardwick

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002
100% guaranteed that Caracella had a lot to do with the finals series in 2019, in particular the Preliminary Final when we were dead against the Cats at half time . Was Blake’s genius and not Dimma . Fact !! ( move those magnets )
Got any evidence to support that?

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
100% guaranteed that Caracella had a lot to do with the finals series in 2019, in particular the Preliminary Final when we were dead against the Cats at half time . Was Blake’s genius and not Dimma . Fact !! ( move those magnets )
Think about why so many assistants have left is a topic that should be discussed intently . Like any employment , if you don’t like it leave , the 2 recent assistants and the rehab coach makes a healthy discussion. Cheers
Unless you tell me why it is 100% guaranteed to be true then I take it as an opinion like everyone else’s.
Even if it is true what so many people forget is that being a head coach is about way more than sitting in a box on game day. Like any organisation there is no way that a team can be as successful as we have been as a club unless there is a good leadership. The head coach is the leader of the coaching team and if that leadership enables and empowers his assistants then that makes a great coach imo

Reactions: 4 users

Stig

Tiger Superstar
Mar 2, 2020
Unless you tell me why it is 100% guaranteed to be true then I take it as an opinion like everyone else’s.
Even if it is true what so many people forget is that being a head coach is about way more than sitting in a box on game day. Like any organisation there is no way that a team can be as successful as we have been as a club unless there is a good leadership. The head coach is the leader of the coaching team and if that leadership enables and empowers his assistants then that makes a great coach imo
Not my opinion
Actually fact

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
as of 2016, Hardwick was a seriously flawed coach.

as of 2021, he has brilliant skills in critical areas. he's reinvented himself and taken us to the promised land three times.

an incredible coaching talent and we are extremely lucky to have such an experienced, driven individual at the helm.

but the chaos style is dead and I would throw everything to poach Don Pyke from Sydney as a tactical assistant.

the way they are moving the ball is impressive. this would also mean we jettison our poorer kicks (KMac, etc) and recruit silky feet.

with a strong, running defence and big Tom up forward, we are in a unique position to build a strong midfield and compete again in 2023 if not next year. exciting times.

Reactions: 6 users

Tigers2011

What did I miss dad?
May 6, 2007
Mt Waverley, Victoria
Again who else is there - no one from where I sit
Not sure where to put this.

But are we the worst kick in team in the Comp?

With the rule changes designed to break open the game after a point, are we the only team that has not developed a strategy to take advantage of this?

We either kick it to the pocket (including to dtld) or to a contested tall pack (which the other team normally anticipates and we are out numbered).

Other teams seem to run it out 40 meters before a long kick.

Does this drive anyone else crazy?
100%. Can’t see the point kicking it to the opposition ruckman every week basically. Don’t understand why we wouldn’t be more direct and even go opposite side to a one on one with a kick to advantage. McIntosh was burnt a few times like that on Sunday when he’d created separation from his opponent. Kicking long to a pack is a safe but non offensive option.

Stig

Tiger Superstar
Mar 2, 2020
What ever happened to players playing their role and playing to their strengths. Playing Daniel Rioli off half back isn’t playing to his strengths . Argue all you like !!!!

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Dimma's strengths are his ability to get buy in from his players, inspire and get the overall bond required to win flags. He made us one complete unit where everyone would run through a brick wall for him. Obvious the players love him. This is a crucial ingredient required to win flags, the head coach must inspire.

This came through clear in the amazon doco where the other coaches pale in comparison in this regard. I can see now why salty scott can't win a flag. "We'll take em slowly, just the way we like it" lol. Or whatever the whinging prick said in the 3 qtr huddle.

In saying this I don't think game plan, game strategy and game evolution are his strengths. We had good assistants that took care of this area and we really had a great coaching panel with all tge pieces coming together to win 3 flags.

Covid and the rule changes were the perfect storm to dismantle our dynasty. Of all the clubs the soft cap squeeze impacted us the most and the rule changes "pegged us back" even more.

Reactions: 9 users

Tigers2011

What did I miss dad?
May 6, 2007
Mt Waverley, Victoria
What ever happened to players playing their role and playing to their strengths. Playing Daniel Rioli off half back isn’t playing to his strengths . Argue all you like !!!!
Rioli looked lost to me playing at half back. Either he gets back to his offensive best forward of centre or he goes. I’d simply be putting him back forward & encouraging him to run to as many contests that he can get to.

Reactions: 3 users

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
How do we know that Rioli hasn't said, if you want to re-sign me, you have to give me the chance to show my skills.
I'd imagine a defensively oriented forward pocket who is told to chase and tackle no 1, 2 and 3 priorities isn't going to command $600k on the open market.
But a dangerous running HBF who gains 400m plus per game can get that fairly easily.

Reactions: 1 users

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
How do we know that Rioli hasn't said, if you want to re-sign me, you have to give me the chance to show my skills.
I'd imagine a defensively oriented forward pocket who is told to chase and tackle no 1, 2 and 3 priorities isn't going to command $600k on the open market.
But a dangerous running HBF who gains 400m plus per game can get that fairly easily.
He's played a selfless role through three flags and it's common to hear neutrals denigrate him. If that's what he asked for, it's fair enough with the club out of contention.

Reactions: 1 user

Giardiasis

Tiger Legend
Apr 20, 2009
Brisbane
In saying this I don't think game plan, game strategy and game evolution are his strengths. We had good assistants that took care of this area and we really had a great coaching panel with all tge pieces coming together to win 3 flags.
He seemed pretty clued up in the sound the alarm videos of the 2020 grand final.

Reactions: 1 user

Stig

Tiger Superstar
Mar 2, 2020
Unless there is some sort of reason given about why we should believe you or a credible confirmed source then it’s an opinion.
Seriously this in the Internet Champ . Believe what you like . If you don’t like don’t read