Damien Hardwick | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Damien Hardwick

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
The first half of the game vs the Hawks gave a glimpse into what we can expect from the Tigers game plan next year. Careful control as opposed to ballistic chaos.
Challenging time for Hardwick as he looks to reshape our previously successful high pressure, contested game plan to the SHocking new format.
I must admit I'm saddened by this departure but if you can't beat them join them.:confused:
That’s the thing though.
We want to beat them. Not join them.
Hope we come up with a game plan that doesn’t involve chipping it around

Reactions: 1 user
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
That’s the thing though.
We want to beat them. Not join them.
Hope we come up with a game plan that doesn’t involve chipping it around
The man on the mark rule requires ball control. Sure you've stll got to be able to pull the trigger when required. Melbourne, GWS & Sydney do it best from what I've seen.

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
Interesting too if we go with a game plan to suit what cattle we allready have or do we start to build around a future bull in the top paddock

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
No doubt , most loved bloke going around. I think Eddie wants time away from the game though ? . We do have X who seems to have a great repore with all the players not just the indigenous lads. A fresh voice in theory has to help, however if it’s not speaking with the main ingredients that are in the Richmond hymn book it could be like a virus. I’d be more then happy to ad Pendles to our playing/coaching list , however if possible ($) I’d like to ad another voice in the Coaches box , no idea who though
Agree with X, though I can imagine Eddie pushing Stacky to great heights.
Pendles is an interesting one, no doubt a brilliant and strategic player with high game sense (eg knowing when to take more risks and show his tricks)
Can he connect as a coach? Is he me-first (highest paid and they had their salary cap disaster strikes me as more selfish thN success driven)
I have no idea or personal information though

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
Agree with X, though I can imagine Eddie pushing Stacky to great heights.
Pendles is an interesting one, no doubt a brilliant and strategic player with high game sense (eg knowing when to take more risks and show his tricks)
Can he connect as a coach? Is he me-first (highest paid and they had their salary cap disaster strikes me as more selfish thN success driven)
I have no idea or personal information though
Me either, I never worry about assistant appointments, most judge then on the footballers they were , which is near on irrelevant

Reactions: 3 users

Quickdraw

End of the drought
Jun 8, 2013
Interesting too if we go with a game plan to suit what cattle we allready have or do we start to build around a future bull in the top paddock
Good question, Mr B.
It would be easier to answer if we knew the rules before drafting/trading.
Is the AFL going to bring in more arbitrary rule changes that aren't put through the rules committee? (like the "stand" rule)? Just so wrong, the way that was done. :mad:

Reactions: 4 users

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
With regards to our cattle I think it's a myth we are ball butchers.
Some are (on the wings) but imo we have quality ball users who have had safety first instructions.

Look at our latest incarnation with Short, DRio, Stacky, Grimes and Flossy coming out if the backline. And Balta booting it long. If we keep the Garthwaite types out of the side then we can have quick kicks rebounding it out.

If we get Dusty and Shedda delivering from half forward then we should be able to have cleaner inside 50s and more targets less bombs.

More midtime for JGraham and Prestia on the park will improve kicking efficiency.

The elephant of course is that 1/4 side are downright scrubbers.
Looking at Sydney its no different, Joey Kennedy and Parker are still their engine room and are not elite kicks.
Its the system

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
Good question, Mr B.
It would be easier to answer if we knew the rules before drafting/trading.
Is the AFL going to bring in more arbitrary rule changes that aren't put through the rules committee? (like the "stand" rule)? Just so wrong, the way that was done. :mad:

yep I'm pretty sure Benny G will be politely asking behind the scenes, emphasizing that a lot rides on hastily introduced rules like the stand rule. i mean, you can recruit around it FFS.

the AFL is such a backwater sometimes

Bennnny

Punt Road End. The best place to watch The Tiges.
Mar 29, 2005
Melbourne
www.indieinitiative.com
We won because of Emma Murray. She improved our mental strength others gave now caught up.
In one of my jobs i was collating statistics on workplace accidents.
Every 5 years they went up. People forget the message.
We need a retune.
We lost a lot of great coaches last year.
Hardwick has thrived with help.
More concerned with the coaches than the players.

Reactions: 6 users

MB78

I can have my cake and eat it too
Sep 8, 2009
12 years today since he was appointed coach. Hardwick is an Tiger great and needs to be considered in our top 10 most influential Tigers of all time, along with Dusty and Benny Gale.

I’m not sure if he has got enough appreciation here for what he has helped deliver.

Reactions: 13 users

Born_a_Tiger78

Tiger Rookie
Jul 16, 2008
Wasn’t Dimma original recruiting phrase along the lines of “if you can’t kick, you don’t play for Richmond “?
Nah … it was… putting your head over the ball
nah it was ... at various stages I want you blokes to compete ... to be fair
I thought it was guys who would compete and if good character
Yeah, he keeps on changing his mind. It's getting confusing.

He changed his mindset from helping make Richmond be competitive, to helping Richmond win our 11th Premiership, then changed again to helping us win the 12th Premiership, and then again he changed his mind to helping Richmond win the 13th Premiership.

This season gone, he changed again, trying to help Richmond win the 14th Premiership.

To be fair, there's no wonder the players are getting confused with all the mixed messaging...

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016
Yeah, he keeps on changing his mind. It's getting confusing.

He changed his mindset from helping make Richmond be competitive, to helping Richmond win our 11th Premiership, then changed again to helping us win the 12th Premiership, and then again he changed his mind to helping Richmond win the 13th Premiership.

This season gone, he changed again, trying to help Richmond win the 14th Premiership.

To be fair, there's no wonder the players are getting confused with all the mixed messaging...
It was originally if you can't win your own ball you can't play at Richmond. He said it during his appointment press conference.

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
The first half of the game vs the Hawks gave a glimpse into what we can expect from the Tigers game plan next year. Careful control as opposed to ballistic chaos.
Challenging time for Hardwick as he looks to reshape our previously successful high pressure, contested game plan to the SHocking new format.
I must admit I'm saddened by this departure but if you can't beat them join them.:confused:

Agree ToO, but the stand rule is no certainty to survive. Everyone has to wait to see if Danger gets the flag he is entitled to first.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016
Agree ToO, but the stand rule is no certainty to survive. Everyone has to wait to see if Danger gets the flag he is entitled to first.
We tried to play the chip kick game plan in 2016. It ended up completely falling apart and was a disaster. I fear the same again. We need a game plan that involves offensive frenzy but man on man when defending. Its the zone defense that's let us down badly this year. Clubs picked us apart and we couldn't generate turnovers as the pressure on the ball carrier wasn't sufficient.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Doesn't matter that it's lead to the lowest scoring in 50+ years Carts. Knowing the AFL's stubbornness & propensity to double down, the rule will definitely survive. They've even recently introduced it to AFLW.
Maybe they'll introduce another rule to compensate but it will remain. Who *smile* knows what the game looks like next year?

Reactions: 1 users

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
We developed and formulated a game plan that gave us a massive point of difference which other clubs couldn't emulate. We played a completely different game to the other 17 teams and it delivered us 3 flags in 4 years.

My fear is if we change to the way the rest are playing we'll be a fair way behind them and could spend a bit of time near the bottom.

The dilemma Hardwick has is determining whether the rule change was the main driver of our poor year or was it due to other factors like injuries fatigue strength and conditioning, an ageing list etc?

The season review conducted by the footy department will be vital. We need to be 100% certain in our collective minds that its the new rules that impedes us from competing before we flip our game plan. We don't want to throw the baby out with the bathwater and give up on a game plan that's delivered us so much excitement and success.

Reactions: 8 users

Midsy

I am the one who knocks.
Jan 18, 2014
London
If no-one takes any marks, then there's no man on the mark rule. Keep the chaos - kick it to space. Our clanger stats will rise and kicking skills will get questioned, but it eliminates the issue.

The elephant in the room is whether our small forwards are good enough anymore. Butler gone, Castagna on shaky ground, Aarts not up to it, DRioli down back, MRJ too inexperienced to be effectual, Baker maybe, JGraham a high pressure midfielder, Bolton I guess, Parker not up to it... who else is there?

Feeling Tigerish

Tiger Champion
Apr 11, 2009
We developed and formulated a game plan that gave us a massive point of difference which other clubs couldn't emulate. We played a completely different game to the other 17 teams and it delivered us 3 flags in 4 years.

My fear is if we change to the way the rest are playing we'll be a fair way behind them and could spend a bit of time near the bottom.

The dilemma Hardwick has is determining whether the rule change was the main driver of our poor year or was it due to other factors like injuries fatigue strength and conditioning, an ageing list etc?

The season review conducted by the footy department will be vital. We need to be 100% certain in our collective minds that its the new rules that impedes us from competing before we flip our game plan. We don't want to throw the baby out with the bathwater and give up on a game plan that's delivered us so much excitement and success.
this is exactly my thoughts. Hope they make the right decision