Damien Hardwick | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Damien Hardwick

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
yeah reduced soft cap means coaches are eking our every cent from the system. if that means a move to another club, so be it. it's a tumultuous time

Reactions: 2 users

Hayfever

Tiger Champion
Apr 12, 2005
One thing is for sure.... I’d rather still be a Tigers fanatic with our current coach, Balmey, Board with playing/coaching list and draft picks than the Geelong Catastrophe

Reactions: 5 users

WesternTiger

Tiger Legend
Nov 7, 2004
Wouldn't surprise me either but some might argue it's the price of success.
Is that just you hedging your bets or are you talking from experience? I’ve got no real inside to clubland but never heard anything bad said about Dimma’s ability to work with people. Clarko on the other hand….

Reactions: 1 users

taztiger4

Shovelheads- Keeping hipsters off Harley's
Jul 13, 2005
Richmond Victoria
im starting to wonder whether Dimma rubs people up the wrong way. as great as he's been, and im not saying we should get rid of him, but is there a chink in the armour starting to expose itself. Assistant coaches leaving in droves, ex players coaching elsewhere. It's a watch this space for me.
Sorry Franga but that is quite a ridiculous assertion.

Equally as ridiculous as posters saying Dimma isn't a great tactician

Reactions: 6 users

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
Mad he's coached longer than Longmire. Without knowing would have thought the latter.

Reactions: 3 users

TOT70

I'm just a suburban boy
Jul 27, 2004
Melbourne
Thirteen seasons? Francis Bourke, Paul Sproule, Mike Patterson, Tony Jewel (second stint), Kevin Bartlett and Allan Jeans did twelve between them!

And KB did four of those years!

• Sad
  • Haha
Reactions: 3 users

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
So Alistair Clarkson coached from 2005 - 2021 - a total of 17 seasons and I reckon he stayed there a couple of years too long, not that he can’t coach, more both the club and he perhaps needed a change.

Personally, I can’t see Dimma going 17 years for the same reason - maybe another 3 seasons at the tigers that will squeeze the last drop out of the current stars and himself and I can see Dimma and Dusty going out around the same time unless Dusty somehow keeps his body fit and on the park.

I reckon the club and supporters have been so fortunate to have both of them in the place at the same time - a champion coach.

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
So Alistair Clarkson coached from 2005 - 2021 - a total of 17 seasons and I reckon he stayed there a couple of years too long, not that he can’t coach, more both the club and he perhaps needed a change.

Personally, I can’t see Dimma going 17 years for the same reason - maybe another 3 seasons at the tigers that will squeeze the last drop out of the current stars and himself and I can see Dimma and Dusty going out around the same time unless Dusty somehow keeps his body fit and on the park.

I reckon the club and supporters have been so fortunate to have both of them in the place at the same time - a champion coach.
And Sheeds was at the Druggies for even longer. Had to be dragged out kicking and screaming. I hope that doesn’t happen to Dimma.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Comparisons between Hawthorn 2016-21 and Richmond 2021-X will be unavoidable. Clarkson brought in a heap of gap-fillers and so far we've avoided that road.

• Love

frickenel

Tiger Champion
Jul 30, 2003
Hidden Valley
Comparing the Clarkson era and Hardwick era should include list dynamics.

Clarkson had the advantage of staying on top while 2 new clubs sucked up draft picks limiting the ability for opposition teams to build a list to compete at the pointy end. The Hawks recruited specific established players from opposition clubs. As a result they aged, and toppled over the cliff.

To Hardwick's credit, he's managed to build a list despite the limitations inflicted by two new clubs entering the competition right as we bottomed out. Instead, the club built the off field team virtually impeccably, footy dept and business dept. We struck gold very late in drafts, and added these players to a core of emerging champions. We've now manipulated a draft hand to go again with a rejuvinated list. As old as our champions seemed to be in 2021, i think the very short break was their cryptonite. Coltchin for example is only 31. He's not 34. I think these guys could come back bigger and better, whilt we get more development into kids. Short of falling off the cliff in the next year or two, we should at a minimum be very competative, bearing in mind as the champs retire, we can pick up a few free agent gems to slot in with the, hopefully by then, developed new talent.

We could be competing for flags with a new breed well into this decade, with Dimma still sitting at the helm.

In relation to the departure of assistants, it is more likely a reflection of the club as an organisation putting things in place to make people better to broaden their opportunities to fullfil their ambitions. The weaknesses of Kent Kingsley that cost him a gig this year, are being addressed in his role by the club going forward. It keeps everyone motivated and new ideas flowing through the organisation.

Years ago whilst running a dept in the city, i delegated at every opportunity. I was as careful as i could be in selecting what i delegated to whome, and i always encouraged them to apply for other positions within the organisation. It wasn't that i wanted to lose good staff, but i didn't want the natural progression within my department to stagnate. If nobody moves on or up, what can staff under them aspire to?

That was going back quite a while now, and the corporate environment has changed significantly, and to the point where dealing with such people gets up my goat, hence the fact that most of my income now simply comes from logging into a computer at night and dragging money out of the US stock exchange. No dealing with idiots. and a clean desk with no paperwork.

• Love
Reactions: 11 users

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Comparisons between Hawthorn 2016-21 and Richmond 2021-X will be unavoidable. Clarkson brought in a heap of gap-fillers and so far we've avoided that road.
Not sure about
Caddy Nakas Prestia lynch
to a lesser degree Townsend
We have brought in players too.
But the difference with us we haven't used or compromised our draft position during this period. (I wished we did in 17)
Maybe we learnt from hawthorn not to do it. Its a pity because if we did use pick 17, pick 20 2017 on a Wines. We might be seeing the greatest football club ever.
Hawthorn have been nothing but a sensational football club.
Run well, really strong in decision making.
Clubs have won 1 flag in a 1000 years, Hawthorn will find a way.
Getting compared to Brisbane and hawthorn puts a smile on my face considering less then 10 years ago we were getting compared to Fitzroy.
What was it 'Fitzroy have won more finals then Richmond and they have been in the competition in 15 years'

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Not sure about
Caddy Nakas Prestia lynch
to a lesser degree Townsend
We have brought in players too.
Talking about after the period of success.

Traded for players:

2016 #10 #14
2017 #26 #34
2018 #15 #35
2019 #34
2020 #31

That doesn't include things like the Vickery disaster. After 2018 they mostly used third- and fourth-rounders to recruit budget players. 16 players from other clubs have debuted at Hawthorn and it's been a slow decline apart from a surprise top four finish in 2018 after a soft draw.

Our decline was obvious last year, we were losing games at more or less full strength before the injuries took hold. I don't think keeping our draft picks will allow us to contend in the short term, but at least we're not repeating what didn't work at Hawthorn. So far.

Bennnny

Punt Road End. The best place to watch The Tiges.
Mar 29, 2005
Melbourne
www.indieinitiative.com
Comparing the Clarkson era and Hardwick era should include list dynamics.

Clarkson had the advantage of staying on top while 2 new clubs sucked up draft picks limiting the ability for opposition teams to build a list to compete at the pointy end. The Hawks recruited specific established players from opposition clubs. As a result they aged, and toppled over the cliff.

To Hardwick's credit, he's managed to build a list despite the limitations inflicted by two new clubs entering the competition right as we bottomed out. Instead, the club built the off field team virtually impeccably, footy dept and business dept. We struck gold very late in drafts, and added these players to a core of emerging champions. We've now manipulated a draft hand to go again with a rejuvinated list. As old as our champions seemed to be in 2021, i think the very short break was their cryptonite. Coltchin for example is only 31. He's not 34. I think these guys could come back bigger and better, whilt we get more development into kids. Short of falling off the cliff in the next year or two, we should at a minimum be very competative, bearing in mind as the champs retire, we can pick up a few free agent gems to slot in with the, hopefully by then, developed new talent.

We could be competing for flags with a new breed well into this decade, with Dimma still sitting at the helm.

In relation to the departure of assistants, it is more likely a reflection of the club as an organisation putting things in place to make people better to broaden their opportunities to fullfil their ambitions. The weaknesses of Kent Kingsley that cost him a gig this year, are being addressed in his role by the club going forward. It keeps everyone motivated and new ideas flowing through the organisation.

Years ago whilst running a dept in the city, i delegated at every opportunity. I was as careful as i could be in selecting what i delegated to whome, and i always encouraged them to apply for other positions within the organisation. It wasn't that i wanted to lose good staff, but i didn't want the natural progression within my department to stagnate. If nobody moves on or up, what can staff under them aspire to?

That was going back quite a while now, and the corporate environment has changed significantly, and to the point where dealing with such people gets up my goat, hence the fact that most of my income now simply comes from logging into a computer at night and dragging money out of the US stock exchange. No dealing with idiots. and a clean desk with no paperwork.
Fantastic post.
We made improvements off the field and created a great organisation.
We have proved we can help make players better
Hawthorn have suffered from the coach and president fighting and thus distracting the club.
Essendon were to weak to get rid of Sheedy.
Richmond will keep Dimma interested and working hard on improving himself and the club

TigerPort

Tiger Champion
Jun 29, 2006
NSW
This is different to any past dynasty

We won our premierships with a young average age. So most of our stars are still capable.

It is up to the club to work out a plan for regerneration that will be copied into the future.

Hardwick will be coach for another 10 years....if he wants to be. Then put in a succession plan that will work and be copied in the future. Lambert will then be coach

Reactions: 1 user

Tigaman

Tiger Champion
May 23, 2010
Do think Tigers will have an excellent 2022 season under Damian & Co as our 2021 season was dogged by injuries due to four years playing at the top level. These injured players which include Dusty, Broad, Balta, Prestai & Soldo plus the inclusion of players like Parker Mansell Pickett (who we have not seen the best of) Tigers should make a top four eight next year. Demons top dog at this moment the rest well dragging their feet besides the Tigers.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Glimpses of the great man, blond hair no. 29

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Glimpses of the great man, blond hair no. 29

Seen this before but I must say, he's got a bit of a Jaydin Stephenson resemblance especially with that hair-do.