Dan is dead | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Dan is dead

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Does branch stacking always end up with a lesser / worse candidate ?
I get the point about the staff in mp offices but to claim these are the worst examples of govt money being used to promote party interests is over simplifying the issue.
Where did I claim it was the worst examples?
Branch stacking may or may not result in worse candidates. It will however result in a less representative one

Reactions: 1 user

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Isn't branch stacking essentially exactly what our board does with every vacancy nowadays?

I'd say no.

For there to be a need to stack a branch, the branch (ie: the members) has to have the power to determine who is nominated/appointed. No, football club boards just seem to appoint replacements when there is a vacancy.

They don't need to stack branches. That pesky democracy which (theoretically) exists in political parties mean the factions have to do a modicum of work to ensure the right outcome. AFL club boards don't appear to have the same problem.

DS

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Of course sometimes branch stacking is irrelevant. The liberal party has on a few occasions just ignored the branches and the PM has done a Captains pick.
The ALP also just did it with Christina Keneally

MB78

I can have my cake and eat it too
Sep 8, 2009
Luke Donnellan has just quit cabinet over his branch stacking. Will remain on the backbench.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Anthony Byrne tips bucket on own party in ‘political suicide mission’ (paywalled)

What about Daniel Andrews? At the height of Somyurek’s rise in 2018, the Premier welcomed his “good friend” back into his cabinet.

Andrews has been in the thick of it in Melbourne’s southeast for 25 years. Did it really take him until last year to realise something was wrong?

As for his own actions, Andrews maintains he has always followed party rules.

We’ll see.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
This thread is all about the imminent demise of DAN
Old mate Dan b still alive n apparently blown the *smile* out of a budget or three. Obviously no idea how it's happened n someone musta been raiding the cookie jar while he was busy being the boss.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Well it has taken me a while to realise it, but you poor Vics really do have a moron in charge, ala Djokovic decision for COVID exemption

Who's the moron? That decision was made by a medical panel constituted by Tennis Australia following ATAGI guidelines. Andrews wasn't part of that decision.

If you want him to overrule TA, that's another story.

Reactions: 1 users

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
Who's the moron? That decision was made by a medical panel constituted by Tennis Australia following ATAGI guidelines. Andrews wasn't part of that decision.

If you want him to overrule TA, that's another story.

The decision is actually a two stage process as reported by a number of media outlets.

Yes the first stage is a panel of experts as per ATAGI guidelines.

But the decision then has to be endorsed/confirmed by the Victorian Government.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
The decision is actually a two stage process as reported by a number of media outlets.

Yes the first stage is a panel of experts as per ATAGI guidelines.

But the decision then has to be endorsed/confirmed by the Victorian Government.

I believe it's an independent panel of doctors convened by VicHealth. That's the idea of an independent panel.

I hope it's overruled but blaming Andrews for this is a bit weird.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
For me the issue is Andrews and Morrison won't just have heard about this via the media last night. They should have nipped it in the bud then and there and it never got to this point.

It's never too late to do the right thing but they should have acted by now.

Yep, they are copping a heap of blowback about it now. I detest Morrison but this is probably nothing to do with him.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Don't worry Dan will come back from his holidays and save us with some short and sharp circuit breaker snap lock downs.