David Astbury, Thank You | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

David Astbury, Thank You

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
geoffryprettyboy said:
You mean the 3rd & 4th. If things pan out Astbury & Griffiths will get the 1st & 2nd best defenders.

people are always going on as if JR is a shortarse. He ain't, big as JB, BH. JR will be the focal point. JR is developing beautifully. Yeah set shots are crap, but so were his cousin's. Jack will be our attack. We'll attack through Jack. If you're a back, you'll hate being on Jack.

Barnzy

What about me?
Mar 6, 2009
tigersnake said:
people are always going on as if JR is a shortarse. He ain't, big as JB, BH. JR will be the focal point. JR is developing beautifully. Yeah set shots are crap, but so were his cousin's. Jack will be our attack. We'll attack through Jack. If you're a back, you'll hate being on Jack.

Agreed. Ideally we want one of Griffiths or Astbury to make it to become the 2nd tall in the forward line to team up with Riewoldt (dunno if you can expect both to make it).

I see a lot of people getting caught up in the Astbury (195cm), Griffiths (198cm), Riewoldt (194cm) combo and also let's not forget Taylor who's 189cm and can play taller than his height. That's a very, very tall forward line and certainly not the traditional method most teams use. I guess we will see what happens and how it unfolds.

ToraToraTora

Two outta three ain't bad.
Mar 21, 2005
QLD
Loved Astbury's 3 goals. All 3 were totally different, all 3 never looked like missing. The dribble was just spectacular, a tad speculative, but he knew he had to give it some heave ho....sure enough it went through.
So many senior players never mind a first gamer are overawed by a 25m snap....Dave knew exactly where those goals were. And the tackle to set it up was icing. Top goal. And as the boundary shot...enough said.
Don't forget, Taylor could easily have had 3 also. I was rapt with both of em. So far so good, we are all dreaming of a dominant forward line (and backline, and midfield) but there is some talent there to work with now for sure.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Barnzy said:
Agreed. Ideally we want one of Griffiths or Astbury to make it to become the 2nd tall in the forward line to team up with Riewoldt (dunno if you can expect both to make it).

If one of them becomes good you'd be rapt. If they both do, we're talking flags in 5 years. As you say, odds are against it, but holy smile the signs are good for the 09 boys. This could be the one we are due for, just have to be patient, I'm down with that.

Mac

Tiger Champion
Sep 16, 2003
thejinx said:

As for Martin - well, there's nothing much else that can be said, other than I feel kinda sorry for him that he got drafted by us. Belongs somewhere else.

give youself an uppercut for that loser's mentality

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
Astbury impressed me. He's tall (he may grow a cm or 2, as well), he's quick for his size, he's smart and he can kick. It's refreshing to see players who can actually kick debut for Richmond. He'll be even better when he puts on some muscle.

RFCTiger

Tiger Cub
Aug 5, 2007
Missed Astbyry's debut because i thought going to see Coburg when they were out my way would be good!!! well one half wasnt bad but the other meh!!

Happy to hear the positive feedback and just watched his highlights package!! I'm not saying anything dont want the punt road curse to hit but......
:-X ;D ;D ;D :clap :clap :clap ;D ;D ;D :-X

Barnzy

What about me?
Mar 6, 2009
Smoking Aces said:
In a draft considered to be very very weak, getting a player like Nason at 71 is a steal.

Let's not celebrate too quickly, SA. Young Nason has a long way to go to be labelled a player of the future.

Will need to vastly improve his frame, way too skinny. Also his endurance. At least he has those natural attributes that most we have gotten in the past haven't had and are much harder to improve (football brain, composure, kicking skills, etc).

I remember everyone ranting and raving about J.King early on and he quickly got found out. Don't think that will happen for Nason though.

Ty Esler

"Mark Maclure can get stuffed"
May 10, 2005
Early signs are that Francis has done well in the draft - Martin, Astbury, Taylor, Nason all shown flashes at senior level, Dea has done well for Coburg despite a few nerves last weekend, Griffiths is getting good reviews from some after an injury interupted pre-season and Hicks, Grimes, Westoff and Contin all pushing for senior sports with Coburg.

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
Barnzy said:
Let's not celebrate too quickly, SA. Young Nason has a long way to go to be labelled a player of the future.

Will need to vastly improve his frame, way too skinny. Also his endurance. At least he has those natural attributes that most we have gotten in the past haven't had and are much harder to improve (football brain, composure, kicking skills, etc).

I remember everyone ranting and raving about J.King early on and he quickly got found out. Don't think that will happen for Nason though.
Not getting carried away Barnzy. But the early signs are encouraging especially for a speculative pick in the 70's in a so called weak draft. Even if he only ends up being a solid contributor for the RFC then we have done well.

His natural football instincts and attributes is what separates him from King.

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
Smoking Aces said:
Not getting carried away Barnzy. But the early signs are encouraging especially for a speculative pick in the 70's in a so called weak draft. Even if he only ends up being a solid contributor for the RFC then we have done well.

His natural football instincts and attributes is what separates him from King.
He can kick for a start, he tackles well for someone of his frame and he can take the hits. I won't be convinced until he can prove he can play well for more than just one season. I've been burned by too many one season wonders.

geoffryprettyboy

Tiger Legend
Apr 8, 2004
Barnzy said:
I remember everyone ranting and raving about J.King early on and he quickly got found out.

Everyone? Not me.

I called him a dud the night after his first game and some posters starting throwing bottles at me.

As for Nason, we should be pleased with what we see from a player picked at 71, we now expect him to get better.

grumpytiger

Tiger Matchwinner
May 6, 2007
Gees I liked what I saw tonight... his attack on the ball was sensational. A great kick, good decision maker and has S-M-A-R-T-S.

Give him a couple of years to get bigger, and he'll be a great foil for Jack and (fingers crossed) Griffo