David Astbury, Thank You | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

David Astbury, Thank You

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Not convinced. Should’ve waited to see what was on the market.
0 tackles 1 mark last weekend

So you're going to make decisions on 1 match? The previous 5 games he's averaged almost 9 marks a game. Been critical for us. We have vulnerability in that tall key defender area. Astbury was a must sign.

Reactions: 1 user

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
So you're going to make decisions on 1 match? The previous 5 games he's averaged almost 9 marks a game. Been critical for us. We have vulnerability in that tall key defender area. Astbury was a must sign.

Cameron
Dixon
Cox
Next 3 weeks. Should’ve waited, it’s not like he was going to leave

James

Tiger Rookie
Sep 11, 2016
Has been very good for us, as has McIntosh. Last year however we also signed some very good players, while I believe misunderstanding Chai Bolton’s real class and value.
It’s the very hardest part of player management, but I hope mistakes aren’t made because these two are now not in the same class as Chai.
And other teams will come!!

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Cameron
Dixon
Cox
Next 3 weeks. Should’ve waited, it’s not like he was going to leave

The club will have made their decision based on the season, not a couple of games. Next 3 games is not going to tell us anything about him. He won't get Cameron anyway. He's already been taking on key defenders without the usual support due to Rance's absence. We need to add to our key defender stocks, not remove them.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Think we've really seen how much value Astbury has had this season.
Our bookend is locked up staving off free agency. Very smart move by the club.

#DownthelineDave

Reactions: 4 users

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Not convinced it was the right decision to sign him up.
Wait and see what’s out there first.

More sensible is sign up a proven tall defender while we wait for Rance to come back, and until we can groom younger guys or recruit in. Two years is not excessive for a guy of Dave's proven ability. I still think we need another key back by the way.

Reactions: 4 users

lukeanddad

Tiger Champion
Nov 17, 2008
More sensible is sign up a proven tall defender while we wait for Rance to come back, and until we can groom younger guys or recruit in. Two years is not excessive for a guy of Dave's proven ability. I still think we need another key back by the way.
Yes. I don't see it with Garthy. Perhaps the plan is to groom Balta for the role, but nice to have another strong defender.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com

A young key back would just about be priority number one.

MB78

I can have my cake and eat it too
Sep 8, 2009
Excellent news.

I think Astbury is our physically strongest player. (Perhaps in the league). Who would mess with Astbury in a show of strength.

Our backline love the fact he takes on the Gorillas, and normally wins. Great list management. Seems also like a leader around the club.

UKTiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 11, 2010
Shipston on Stour, UK
A well deserved contract extension for Dave. People expect him to be perfect every game and pounce on his bad ones but some tend to forget all our stars have the occasional stinker but that is glossed over. I am just happy the club value Dave so highly .

Reactions: 1 users

artball

labels are for canned food
Jul 30, 2013
Dave is a solid piece of our defensive jigsaw. Good news he's extended.

TigerFlag2017

Tiger Legend
May 16, 2007
I would love to see dave increase his intercept marking in the back half of the season. It has been his strength the past two years, less so this year.