David Astbury, Thank You | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

David Astbury, Thank You

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
I remember another KPP who became a handy ruckman towards the end of his career.
Went on to become a reasonable CEO and part time Demi God in his later years.

Reactions: 6 users

Brettstigers

Queen La Camilla
Mar 21, 2005
Sydney
One consistent thing for "part-time" rucks - they give away frees in the ruck contest trying to equalize the size difference and make a contest. Dave hasn't done that - he's strong enough to hold the big boys up. Its a big plus.

Reactions: 5 users

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
at Half time, DTLD was the leading clearance player on AO.

unprecedented has had a fair work out this year, so ill try find another
Ladhams lifted but he was vulnerable on the night, eZ.

Somebody could get Ladhams by the hair. Somebody did. And, to be fair to Ladhams, he fought back.

But for a long time Ladhams was uncompetitive. (Chol would've won mostly against him the past month.)

DTL is underdone. And as a ruck he was an ambush. (Coaches learn quickly from ambushes.) But he is disciplined. Coachable. And even at 30, progressive.

Dave or Caddy? Let's see.

Reactions: 1 user

toothless

Tiger Champion
Aug 16, 2009
Is essentially putting his career on the line each time he goes to a centre bounce. Competes hard and does what is required. The consummate team player

Reactions: 1 users

Tenacious Tiges

I remember when Balmey just thugged them .....
Apr 11, 2003
So many role players in this team. That’s the key as Dimma said in the presser tonight. We can adulate them all because they all do their bit. Sometimes they have to dull their games to shine like the Cotch.

Reactions: 1 users

UKTiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 11, 2010
Shipston on Stour, UK
Shaun Astbury / Dave Grigg has shown that we are more than OK with one genuine ruck and a 'small' second ruck. Dave showed us all his talents to adapt, be effective and play the percentages so he did more than good tonight. Chols dream of a GF is now on a back burner

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Very competitive in those conditions in the ruck.
Bit of a masterstroke by the footy dept tonight how we used Nank, Dave & Balta as opposed to the failed Chol option.
Kudos DLTD.

Reactions: 6 users

FitenFitenWin

Listen to the thunder RFC
Jul 30, 2009
Brisbane
Loved what he brought last night. Showed more ability than I remember him having. But when you think about it - good teams ask players to contain the range of their abilities to focus on a role. I remember David Parkin saying his favourite player was Peter Dean, who was an unbelievable athlete but was happy to play within a really tight structure and let others get the headlines.

daniel30

Tiger Superstar
Jun 14, 2010
Dave last 3 finals were really solid having him there that big body gave us options yesterday switching Balta etc.Went on Hawkins and shut him down.

Reactions: 5 users

MalenyTiger

Tiger Superstar
Jan 27, 2005
Yep in the final quarter his work on Hawkins was fantastic. It's so good to have players like Astbury and Balta who have so much flexibility in where they can be played. Was a masterstroke by Dimma last night.

Reactions: 4 users
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
No fuss & underrated hugely but bottom line is DTLD is a Triple Premiership Richmond fullback.
What a rock he has become of our footy club. Great leader, great person & great player.
Bravo number 12, Dave Astbury.

• Love
Reactions: 12 users

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
No fuss & underrated hugely but bottom line is DTLD is a Triple Premiership Richmond fullback.
What a rock he has become of our footy club. Great lead, great person & great player.
Bravo number 12, Dave Astbury.

When he was first drafted he was spoken highly of in character and skills - he does the number 12 proud.

Reactions: 8 users

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
When he was first drafted he was spoken highly of in character and skills - he does the number 12 proud.
I remember some story coming out some insiders night, about the first pre-season he had.

They were doing a bike ride - possibly up Mt Dandenong or maybe overseas somewhere. Dave had finished, but there was a group that were still going. So he rode down the hill, joined them and encouraged them until they got back to the top. That's from a first year player. There's on wonder we've had such a "good culture" when you draft that type of behaviours in.

• Love
Reactions: 11 users