David Teague | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

David Teague

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Parkin and walls were premiership coaches at Carlton so hardly failed but in recent times yes, from Wayne Brittain on !!
Carltons biggest problem is they still haven't got out of the 70's, 80's, 90's mentality of Hail Mary Big names be it Players or Coaches.

Off Field Carlton haven't got it right and still cant seem to get their @^$@$ high and tight and pull uniformly in the same direction, there is more power plays off field seemingly than on it.

Judd, Malthouse, Pagan all the last true big name vestiges of this old mantra at Princes Park, however the beast reared its head with the possibility of Clarkson being available, then they burned the next big name coach in Lyon in the process.

Malthouse went to Carlton out of spite and malice and for a paycheck desperate to beat the Maggots and Figgie.

Mickey went to the wrong club, and Pagan just went for the Godfather paycheck he couldn't refuse.

Sadly for Denis he didn't have Carey, Longmire, Archer, Fairly, Blakey, Allison, Grant, Schwass,, Simpson, Stevens, McAdam, Martyn and McKernan,

The dominant Carlton sides of the 80's and 90's were strewn with signings from WA and SA and big transfers from other clubs mainly Greg Wells from the Demons, Earl Spalding, also from the Demons, David Rhys-Jones, and Greg Diesel Williams from Sydney, Harry Madden from the Bombers, and Dean Rice from the Saints.

Kernahan (SA), Naley (SA), Motley (SA), Bradley (SA), Mackay (SA), Richard Dennis (WA), Jon Dorotich (WA), Maclure (WA), Fitzpatrick (WA), Hunter (WA), Bosustow(WA), Ralph (WA), Blackwell (WA) amongst others all recruited from interstate leagues and all had a major bearing on the success of the CFC during that time.

A few home grown champs along the way no doubt helped with Bruce Doull, Southby, Wayne Dominator Johnston, Wayne Harmes, Peter Dean, Silvagni and Kouta but Carlton were a club that recruited and cherry picked heavily from the SANFL and WAFL and other clubs with big bags of cash.

To a certain extent they are still doing it chasing hail Mary signings.

But rather than cherry picking the very top end talent they used to corner the market with in the glory years they find themselves chasing lower hanging fruit but still paying a premium penny for it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Carltons biggest problem is they still haven't got out of the 70's, 80's, 90's mentality of Hail Mary Big names be it Players or Coaches.

Off Field Carlton haven't got it right and still cant seem to get their @^$@$ high and tight and pull uniformly in the same direction, there is more power plays off field seemingly than on it.

Judd, Malthouse, Pagan all the last true big name vestiges of this old mantra at Princes Park, however the beast reared its head with the possibility of Clarkson being available, then they burned the next big name coach in Lyon in the process.

Malthouse went to Carlton out of spite and malice and for a paycheck desperate to beat the Maggots and Figgie.

Mickey went to the wrong club, and Pagan just went for the Godfather paycheck he couldn't refuse.

Sadly for Denis he didn't have Carey, Longmire, Archer, Fairly, Blakey, Allison, Grant, Schwass,, Simpson, Stevens, McAdam, Martyn and McKernan,

The dominant Carlton sides of the 80's and 90's were strewn with signings from WA and SA and big transfers from other clubs mainly Greg Wells from the Demons, Earl Spalding, also from the Demons, David Rys-Jones, and Greg Diesel Williams from Sydney, Harry Madden from the Bombers, and Dean Rice from the Saints.

Kernahan (SA), Naley (SA), Motley (SA), Bradley (SA), Mackay (SA), Richard Dennis (WA), Jon Dorotich (WA), Maclure (WA), Fitzpatrick (WA), Hunter (WA), Bosustow(WA), Ralph (WA), Blackwell (WA) amongst others all recruited from interstate leagues and all had a major bearing on the success of the CFC during that time.

A few home grown champs along the way no doubt helped with Bruce Doull, Wayne Dominator Johnston, Wayne Harmes, Peter Dean, Silvagni and Kouta but Carlton were a club that recruited and cherry picked heavily from the SANFL and WAFL and other clubs with big bags of cash.

But rather than cherry picking the very top end talent they used to corner the market with in the glory years they still have find themselves chasing lower hanging fruit but still paying a premium penny for it.
I can’t help thinking that the appointment of Greg Williams in more of the same .
Years ago a friend of mine joined the Blue suits, who were the business types coterie for the Club. He hated it and only lasted a couple of years and he told me that these guys ( they were all men) acted liked they owned the club. They were so used to running business and telling people what to do they thought they could do the same at CFC.
I reckon that attitude still exists and on top of that you have old players like Williams and Kernahan still wielding a lot of power with close ties to the blue suits. They think they are entitled but the reality is that footy clubs survive and thrive with the everyday people being engaged. That’s what our club has done really well.
Entitlement doesn’t work anymore with Salary caps and soft caps

Reactions: 9 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne

The dominant Carlton sides of the 80's and 90's were strewn with signings from WA and SA and big transfers from other clubs mainly Greg Wells from the Demons, Earl Spalding, also from the Demons, David Rys-Jones, and Greg Diesel Williams from Sydney, Harry Madden from the Bombers, and Dean Rice from the Saints.

A few home grown champs along the way no doubt helped with Bruce Doull, Wayne Dominator Johnston, Wayne Harmes, Peter Dean, Silvagni and Kouta but Carlton were a club that recruited and cherry picked heavily from the SANFL and WAFL and other clubs with big bags of cash.

But rather than cherry picking the very top end talent they used to corner the market with in the glory years they find themselves chasing lower hanging fruit but still paying a premium penny for it.

Long may they live in the past, as long as they don't find a way around the salary cap etc.

DS

Reactions: 1 users

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Bolton has gone to Collingwood with Leppa
Who has Chuckles ??

Poor ol Chuckles the Blues dressed him up like a shiny star then threw him into the volcano like a Virgin Sacrifice from times long gone.

Come to think of it they just did the same thing with Geisch .... I mean Teaguey!!.

Reactions: 1 user

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
I can’t help thinking that the appointment of Greg Williams in more of the same .
Years ago a friend of mine joined the Blue suits, who were the business types coterie for the Club. He hated it and only lasted a couple of years and he told me that these guys ( they were all men) acted liked they owned the club. They were so used to running business and telling people what to do they thought they could do the same at CFC.
I reckon that attitude still exists and on top of that you have old players like Williams and Kernahan still wielding a lot of power with close ties to the blue suits. They think they are entitled but the reality is that footy clubs survive and thrive with the everyday people being engaged. That’s what our club has done really well.
Entitlement doesn’t work anymore with Salary caps and soft caps
Exackery !!

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Parkin won the 81, 82 and 95 Flags for the Blues.

Walls got them 87.
Kernahan, Bradley, Williams, Rhys-Jones, McKay, Bosustow, Perovic, Wells, Fitzpatrick, Hunter, Dorotich, Madden, Alvin, Spalding, Rice, Naley, Clape, Ditchburn, Jones, Maylin, Klomp, English, Bortolotto, Hogg, Pearce, Manton recruited with Elliott's chequebook!

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
Kernahan, Bradley, Williams, Rhys-Jones, McKay, Bosustow, Perovic, Wells, Fitzpatrick, Hunter, Dorotich, Madden, Alvin, Spalding, Rice, Naley, Clape, Ditchburn, Jones, Maylin, Klomp, English, Bortolotto, Hogg, Pearce, Manton recruited with Elliott's chequebook!
The problems did seem to start when the cap was introduced.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

TigerFlag2017

Tiger Legend
May 16, 2007
Knights has gone to West Coast
Interesting that there never seems to be any interest to lure him back. You see Wayne Campbell talking about his Richmond days fondly. But never hear boo from Knights.

I can't recall if his retirement was messy. Does anyone remember?

taztiger4

Shovelheads- Keeping hipsters off Harley's
Jul 13, 2005
Richmond Victoria
Interesting that there never seems to be any interest to lure him back. You see Wayne Campbell talking about his Richmond days fondly. But never hear boo from Knights.

Yep, from memory he didn't want to retire

Reactions: 2 users

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004

Frawley forced knighter into retirement and played him against Essendon one Friday night game as his farewell game.
Knights didn't want to retire.

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
Frawley forced knighter into retirement and played him against Essendon one Friday night game as his farewell game.
Knights didn't want to retire.
He also dropped him when he would have registered the 2nd 100th consecutive games milestone. I don’t know what happened, but there always seemed to be bad feelings between Knights and Frawley.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
He also dropped him when he would have registered the 2nd 100th consecutive games milestone. I don’t know what happened, but there always seemed to be bad feelings between Knights and Frawley.
It was evident after 1 year in the job Frawley replaced knights as captain with Campbell