David Teague | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

David Teague

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
That's undoubtably true but it's also uncanny how good assistant coaches always seem to be at good teams. Bit like head coaches.

I'm sure there's something in that somewhere......
good assistant coaches and good head coaches make good teams?

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
I think Knighter is smart! Goes to WC after geelong, was a coach at bombers, goes his time, when Hardwick retires, he is ready to return.
Dont know if going to work for a coach that will be relatively high up the list of probable sackings next year is a great idea.

If they go tits up and sack Simmo, Knighter would be on tenuous ground also I would expect.

But might just want out of Viktoriastan too like so many others, and ther opportunity presented itself.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
That's certainly a plausible theory but it falls apart when successful coaches go to other clubs and don't have the same success.
Seems to be a very strong theme runs through the success story these days n the old super coach is only one pivotal part of the story.
Coach, assistants, players, admin, recruiting, pinch of luck.
Shuffle them up into any order you like, but without a healthy dose of each success is virtually impossible to achieve.
Last twenty or so years n there's been four very successful clubs n a couple of fairly successful clubs. Brisvegas, Geelold, Hawforn, Tiges, Sydaknee, Wet Coke. 17 flags between them n all have had very strong overlap in pretty much all core aspects during their successful periods.
Even if we go back to the good old days of VFL n half arsed almost professional footy. Clubs with a strong core of Coach, assistants, players, admin, recruiting, pinch of luck, n sometimes the old brown paper bag shoofty were generally the long term contenders when it came to finals n flags.

Reactions: 1 users

BillyJean17

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2009
melbourne
good assistant coaches and good head coaches make good teams?
its all about the head coach in the end , can recall brittain, Mccartney and Wheadon all well credentialed assistants being involved , NEVER helped break the finals drought . realise there are many puzzle pieces to get right but there seems to be an imbalanced emphasis on asst coaches . i LOL when reviewing PA and CATS blogs after their recent demise , 2 guesses where they pinned the blame

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Knights was screwed. He was still playing very good footy. Don't blame him for being a bit miffed.

Reactions: 3 users

No 4

I did what I did for the Tigers - Bridget
Feb 11, 2005
nunawading/mitcham
Knights was screwed. He was still playing very good footy. Don't blame him for being a bit miffed.
Knights is never coming to Richmond as long as Dimma is around. Dimma said to the bombers it will take time to get into the finals. Knights said otherwise. Knights got the job over Dimma and was proven wrong.

Reactions: 1 user

Tigerhealer

I'm a llama!
Sep 7, 2003
its all about the head coach in the end , can recall brittain, Mccartney and Wheadon all well credentialed assistants being involved , NEVER helped break the finals drought .

Brittain thought he was god almighty, his methods confused the hell out the players
Wheadon was well credentialed but ......
he brought in that the corralling crap instead of tackling ! seemed to hate tackling

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
Knights is never coming to Richmond as long as Dimma is around. Dimma said to the bombers it will take time to get into the finals. Knights said otherwise. Knights got the job over Dimma and was proven wrong.
We’ll knights did get them into the finals 2009. So Knights was right and the bombers got what they wanted.

Reactions: 4 users

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
Couldn’t he at least take that dirty shirt off first?

• Haha
Reactions: 12 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Good idea I reckon, having a former head coach as an assistant will hopefully mean he will be willing to put other points of view and not be shy.

DS

Reactions: 4 users

TOT70

I'm just a suburban boy
Jul 27, 2004
Melbourne
Love it attacking coach will be strike a good balance I hope.
Just read on the website that he was Adelaide‘s forward line coach in 2017. They were a very attacking forward line so hopefully he brings some of that. If nothing else, he managed to get something positive out of Josh Jenkins which is no mean feat.

Not Josh’s Grand Final performance though. There is no room for any of that. Ever.

Reactions: 1 users

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
Not a bad move I reckon. Some blokes are better assistant coaches than senior coaches and this may well be the case with Teague.

Reactions: 2 users