Dean3 - Techno dunderhead. Help! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Dean3 - Techno dunderhead. Help!

Dean3

Older than I've ever been
Dec 17, 2002
Melbourne
Just bought one of those Home theatre systems, plus a new VCR, DVD and TV.

I've got the whole thing working OK, but I can't seem to record anything on the VCR. Just got 2 hours of 'snow' the other night.

Can anyone take me thru step by step where I should be plugging in the red, white and yellow cables from my VCR? Should they go into the DVD, or straight into the TV and into what plug holes? Should the coax antenna cable go into the VCR or into the TV, given that they are connected by AV (red, white and yellow) cables?

Can someone help, or point me to a website for dummies?

Thanx in advance.

Khan

Lets Roar in 2004
Dec 17, 2002
Tigerland
What I have set up is as follows

Video Signal

Coax Arial to Foxtel
Coax Foxtel to VCR
Coax VCR to TV coax or if you have two Video/AV in ports on TV VCR Video (yello) to TV Video 2

DVD Video (yellow) to TV Video
DVD Audio (red and white) to Sterio if Applicable

Audio Signal
Sterio VCR to Stero/DVD

Dean dont put the DVD through the Video or Vice versa if at all possible as it will degrade the output.

If you have to connect to the TV through the arial port connect the DVD to the TV not the other way around. The best signal will come from the DVD

Lets Roar

Khan

Dean3

Dec 17, 2002
Melbourne
Bewdy thanks Khan. I don't have Foxtel, so lemme get this straight.

The antenna coax should go into the VCR, and VCR AV cables directly into the TV. That means I shouldn't have the antenna coax going out of the VCR into the TV as well, right?

If I have TV red & white cables into the DVD, then I should be able to play everything in home theatre sound, including VCR?

OK, the problem I was having was that the auto-tuning of the VCR was coming up with no channels at all, so wasn't receiving a signal from the antenna. I guess if the antenna is plugged into the VCR, then that should solve that. And if I had BOTH the AV cables AND the antenna coax connected to the TV via the VCR, then I'd get double-trouble wouldn't I?

Khan

Lets Roar in 2004
Dec 17, 2002
Tigerland
Shouldn't need to connect your yellow cable from the VCR to to TV. Just connect the arial or coax cable to the TV.

Yes if you connect the red and white cables to DVD (Audio In) points all sound can be played through theater system

Khan

Khan

Lets Roar in 2004
Dec 17, 2002
Tigerland
Both cables connected wont matter in the least. Youll just get the Video appearing on both Channel 1/0 or on the AV. The main one is to connect you DVD through the AV point. This is for quaility.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
I don't envy you at all Deano. A couple of years ago I bought one of those Bose music systems that have the speakers mounted on the ceiling.

I ordered a telly and video and turntable, then told them (with a nice smile) if they don't deliver it and install it for me I'd have to give it a miss.

They drove the three hours up here and spent hours installing it.

I never would have managed. Even now I live in fear a plug will be disconnected somehow. I'd be lost, have never seen so many wires in one place before.

Last week I got a printer/scanner/copier/fax and it didn't install properly so I rang Hewlett Packard and their techs spent an hour going through it for me. Easier than worrying about it myself, ha.

This is a long winded post to tell you I have no clue Dean.

The moral of this story is if you can't do it yourself smile nicely and get someone else to do it for you. ;D

Dean3

Dec 17, 2002
Melbourne
Hehe, thanks anyway Rosy.

Thanks to Khan I've got all happening anyway ;D

Thanks Khan - Let's roar in surround sound!

Khan

Lets Roar in 2004
Dec 17, 2002
Tigerland
Sorry for the slow response must have taken a while for the sound to get to me

You are completely welcome Dean

Enjoy