Defamation. False and/or unsubstantiated claims and rumours | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Defamation. False and/or unsubstantiated claims and rumours

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
There are repeated episodes of people ignoring requests about posting potentially defamatory content being ignored. It seems each time I log on I have to remove rumours and unsubstantiated claims about players. Please don't hint at, allude to, or make claims that implicates players, implied or otherwise, in regard to any activity that could result in legal action or defamation claims against PRE.

If it's mentioned in mainstream media it's probably ok to mention here. If it's not please don't make accusations based on heresay, rumour and/or innuendo.

It's not fair for the person involved to have their name dragged through the mud if the info is wrong and it's selfish to put PRE at risk.

If people continue to ignore requests in this regard they'll have to go on moderated posts until current circumstances are resolved or removed to the back burner. The risks are too high to ignore.

SAF

Tiger Superstar
Nov 23, 2007
Internet
I don't understand. You say if something is mentioned in the mainstream media it is OK but then you remove posts that talk of things that were headlines in the Herald Sun today. Confusing.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
I don't know what you're referring to sorry. Please send me a PM with the details of the removed posts that were headlines in the H/S and I'll try to sort out the confusion.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Ok I've found a deleted post of yours SAF. It was one of several and 2 of the people who posted the info realised what had happened and have apologised.

I take it one H/S headline you're referring to was the "AFL players banned from matches under league's contentious illicit drugs policy" posted here? You mention plural but I can't work out what other headlines you're referring to.

Several posts that clearly hinted at a particular player from a particular club have been removed from PRE. There's nothing in that H/S article that identifies either of them. There wasn't a lot of doubt who people on here were alluding to. It was just encouraging further comments and guesswork. Unless you have evidence that that player and club were guilty it's unfair to guess and it could also be defamatory.

Hope that clears the confusion. :)

SAF

Tiger Superstar
Nov 23, 2007
Internet
The HS article I was referring to is titled "Buddy cops all the flak" which talks of the speculation around his injury last year.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
SAF said:
The HS article I was referring to is titled "Buddy cops all the flak" which talks of the speculation around his injury last year.

Was that article posted on here? I didn't notice it but no surprise there. It's been rather hectic on here lately. Your deleted post shows as being in response to the article I mentioned earlier. I just checked the one you mentioned. Not one word in it suggests the things that were being alluded to on here regardless of the throwaway headline. Quite the opposite. It clearly denies it.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
rosy23 said:
There are repeated episodes of people ignoring requests about posting potentially defamatory content being ignored. It seems each time I log on I have to remove rumours and unsubstantiated claims about players. Please don't hint at, allude to, or make claims that implicates players, implied or otherwise, in regard to any activity that could result in legal action or defamation claims against PRE.

Just bumping in hopes some might have missed it rather than choosing to deliberately ignore it. This is an extremely serious matter.

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
Tony Braxton-Hicks said:
ON SEN, Jon Ralph of the HUN has poured cold water on one rumour that's doing the rounds.

That's the one regarding us?