Delisted Players | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Delisted Players

iLoVeNeWmAn

RFC - can't live with 'em, can't live without 'em
Apr 15, 2003
www.abcsports.com.au
Does anyone know if and what the maximum number of players that can be delisted at seasons end???

I am told there is a minimum of 4 and a maximum of 6 but am unsure.

If this is the case, our misery filled seasons are set to continue for years to come yet.

For example:

Delisted players at the end of '03:

- Houlihan
- Biddiscum
- Rogers (possible retirement)
- Cameron (probable retirement)
- Mills
- King

This would need the following players to be traded or kept:

- Nicholls
- Hilton
- Draga
- Vardy
- D.Kellaway
- Hall
- Hyde
and of course Goose Pettifer.

Of that list, I struggle to find anyone apart from possibly Vardy, Hall and Hyde with any trading ability whatsoever.

I suppose this is the direct result combining both bad management and disgraceful recruiting which means us poor Richmond supporters have many more years of ulcers and baldness coming our way.

I think I'll choose to blame the Spud Farmer himself, simply coz I like to.

Got a bit carried away there, but if anyone has knowledge of the delisting rules or quotas, your imput would be appreciated.

I am pretty sure that we can delist up to 6 players not including retirements...but I maybe wrong.

No matter how good Greg Miller is, it will take us 2 to 3 seasons to clean the list out properly

I have posted this question on Big footy

How many players can a club delist in one season?

and how many players can a club trade in one season?

Hopefully we will get a answer

RR's right, it will take 3 years to clean out our list.

Assuming Miller can sort the list out, by the time its in order the current core will mostly be approaching 30 and past there best. Hardly the players capable of a sustained assult on the flag over a few years.

The RFC must take their medicine and accept that the side needs to be totally rebuilt with youth and that means drafting alot of kids over the next few years. They must develop a new core group of players and they already have a decent start in Cogs, Newman, Rodan etc. We need a core group all within a few years of each other who can be part of a sustained period of success over a 5-6 year period when they all reach their peak. Fremantle and Collingwood are clubs who have developed a core group who are all reletively the same age and will peak at the same time.

If Richmond look to recruit another established player like Johnson, Blumfield or Stafford it may solve a problem in the short term and fill the supporters with some false hope but ulltimately leave us short on depth once again and going through this whole mess again.

Take 3 years, delist all those without a future and draft plenty of kids and build a new side.

Here goes with my gung-ho optimism!

I'm not so sure it will take 3 years. It may, but with some luck it could come sooner.

I'm a believer the comp is very even. Sydney, West Coast, Freo and Collingwood have shown what can be acheived when you can field the same team fairly consistently. (Luck with injuries) I think these sides would fall away fairly dramatically if they had an injury toll like ours in the last 2 years.

Someone said on PRE that we had 8-10 players last week with under 50 games. I think the rebuilding has already started.

I think with some luck and some agressive trading we could field a side that could compete competatively in the top 8 next year.

In saying that - I agree we should target youth.

Bazz said:
Someone said on PRE that we had 8-10 players last week with under 50 games. I think the rebuilding has already started.

That was me ;)

Bazz said:
I think with some luck and some agressive trading we could field a side that could compete competatively in the top 8 next year.

I think you maybe onto something here Bazz.

We have to remember that we will have extra draft choices because we went short on the list this year - so that is 3 picks we have up our sleeve.

Although I believe we need to draft kids using our high picks - in the trading side of things I would be reasonably happy if were able to trade for 22-24 y.o. I certainly wouldn't say no to a Nick Stevens. A player in that age bracket would certainly be an advantage both short and long term. A 24yo gives you at least 5-6 years.

I am very eager to see what Greg Miller does this draft period, as I think it will be a blueprint for things to come.

As for getting a current player thru trading, I would be more than happy to try and get a good player even if it meant giving up our first rd pick ie Nick Stevens

As far as I know there is no upper limit on delisting players. Of course, clubs are restricted by contracts - difficult to delist players who aren't out of contract. Plus you must have a minimum no. of players on your list after the National Draft - think it will be 40, including rookies. So even though there is no upper limit, you must have enough picks to fill up the list to the minimum amount.

Anyone else?

Dean3 said:
As far as I know there is no upper limit on delisting players. Of course, clubs are restricted by contracts - difficult to delist players who aren't out of contract. Plus you must have a minimum no. of players on your list after the National Draft - think it will be 40, including rookies. So even though there is no upper limit, you must have enough picks to fill up the list to the minimum amount.

Anyone else?

Think you're right Dean. Just checked the replies to crackertiger's post:

- Need to reduce list down to at least 35 before trade/draft period (including rookies and vets).
- No upper limit :)
- Need to have a minimum of 40 after trade/draft period (including rookies and vets) up to a maximum of 44 (38 seniors (inc vets) + 6 rookies).
- Maximum on senior list is 38.
- Need to have b/w 2 and 6 rookies.

At the moment we have 36 listed senior players + 1 vet (Cambo) + 3 rookies (Moore, Shir, Pickering).

Bazz said:
Here goes with my gung-ho optimism!

I'm not so sure it will take 3 years. It may, but with some luck it could come sooner.

I'm a believer the comp is very even. Sydney, West Coast, Freo and Collingwood have shown what can be acheived when you can field the same team fairly consistently. (Luck with injuries) I think these sides would fall away fairly dramatically if they had an injury toll like ours in the last 2 years.

In saying that - I agree we should target youth.
Bazz, we are a long way behind wc, syd ,freo, & coll, if we only have 8-10 players on our list with 50 or less games under their belts. At the start of this year west coast had twenty players with lees than fifty games plus four rookies freo 18 & 6 collingwood 18& 5 and sydney 17&6. for each of these clubs this is over half their list, yet we have 8-10 players we are a long way behind these clubs in the youth stakes

I'll be watching the Hawthorn -v- Port game with interest this weekend because I see the RR's trade smokey Guerra is slected in the starting 22 (on the wing) for Port.

Interested to see if he'd be worth looking at - when it comes to trades I always try to have an open mind.

A couple of other players that may be worth looking at trading for:

Lappin (Bris) - I heard his is out of contract
The Carrs - either one - though the Freo one is bigger
Daniel Bradshaw
Hadrill from Freo (though he aint related to Marty so that goes against him ;))

Koalalill said:
A couple of other players that may be worth looking at trading for:

Turns 28 next year and has missed games through injury this year. Not the age bracket we should be going after IMO.

Matthew (Freo, 24, 191, 88) - a utility type. IMO not what we need.
Josh (Port, 23, 178, 81) - He normally does the tagging midfield roles at Port although he does go in and win the ball more of late as Kane Cornes is asked to do a tag. Wouldn't say definitely no if we could get him cheaply (say a player (fiora?/Pettifer ;D) + late draft pick).

Daniel Bradshaw (24,190,95)
Your're not Rod from Dromana in disguise on club corner are you KL ;).
Think those of us in the chatroom on Monday night made quite frank and open assessments of Bradshaw ;D.

(22,188,94). Haven't seen enough of him to comment. Missed all of 2002 with a knee injury. From Perth so I don't know if he would want to leave and whether Freo would let him go.
Freo's no-name defence has done well this year.

mightytiges said:
Turns 28 next year and has missed games through injury this year. Not the age bracket we should be going after IMO.

Didn't realise his age MT - forget it ;)

mightytiges said:
Matthew (Freo, 24, 191, 88) - a utility type. IMO not what we need.
Josh (Port, 23, 178, 81) - He normally does the tagging midfield roles at Port although he does go in and win the ball more of late as Kane Cornes is asked to do a tag. Wouldn't say definitely no if we could get him cheaply (say a player (fiora?/Pettifer ;D) + late draft pick).

Like Matthew - the way he goes in and gets the ball - hard in and under. As for Josh - although he does the tagger job well - I reckon he still gets enough of it himself to do some damage.

mightytiges said:
Daniel Bradshaw (24,190,95)
Your're not Rod from Dromana in disguise on club corner are you KL ;).
Think those of us in the chatroom on Monday night made quite frank and open assessments of Bradshaw ;D.

Er.. no I am not Rod from Dromana - just a player to consider. A tall who could play up forward is they decide tosend Dutchy down back again next year.

I don't get to the chatroom MT - it is way past my bedtime ;)

mightytiges said:
(22,188,94). Haven't seen enough of him to comment. Missed all of 2002 with a knee injury. From Perth so I don't know if he would want to leave and whether Freo would let him go.
Freo's no-name defence has done well this year.

Just like the look of this kid - more known to Tiger fans as the guy Staff knocked first time round and Commetti & Sheahan said he should have been reported.

He is built in the mould of Ty Zantuck - good overhead and doesn't take a backward step. I think Freo would trade him for the right deal.