Did we come to play? Proof that defensive work rate is the decisive factor. | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Did we come to play? Proof that defensive work rate is the decisive factor.

Spirit of Jack

Only a Tiger premiership can make 2020 a good year
Apr 19, 2004
For all our perceived extra intensity this week vs the Saints - defensively we were still 0.5kmh slower than the average winning team this round. Something isn't right...

Reactions: 1 user

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
For all our perceived extra intensity this week vs the Saints - defensively we were still 0.5kmh slower than the average winning team this round. Something isn't right...

Looking back at your first post it looks like we were -1.0kmh slower last week so it is an improvement.

I thought we did have extra intensity, but still not at the level we can turn on when in good form.

DS

Reactions: 1 user

Spirit of Jack

Apr 19, 2004
This all makes sense and fits with the team average defensive speed declining. I used the latter as its easily accessible. Notable are all our fast smalls - are way off their best.

The pressure points/ratings to me were the go to stat that explained our transformation into a premiership team in 2017. Every week we would win the pressure battle, typically by a large margin.

However to my knowledge the only publicly available source of pressure stats was the printed version of the HUN. A Tiger supporter on BF used to laboriously enter the individual player pressure points into a rolling spreadsheet - which was very much appreciated. He's stopped now, but it was compulsory viewing for me! Jack Graham used to be off the charts.

Reactions: 1 users

Spirit of Jack

Apr 19, 2004
Our highest defensive pressure of the year. Going at 8.7kmh average speed vs Dees 7.1. That's a massive margin. If only our skills would come good.

Reactions: 3 users

tigre garçon

Yes, 2017, 2019 and 2020... were very good years!
Apr 22, 2004
Well the intensity was back... but skills were well below par. Luckily that intensity covered for the skills deficit, moving the ball forward at all costs!