Discipline aggression and 50m penalties in 2023 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Discipline aggression and 50m penalties in 2023

RoarEmotion

Tiger Legend
Aug 20, 2005
Was extremely disappointed at our lack of discipline with regards to 50m penalties in the practice match.

There are obviously many ways you can win or lose a close match but not giving away dumb 50m penalties can easily be worth one or two goals and make the difference between a home final or top 4 and fifth or even eight and ninth.

I have fingers crossed it’s something Damien will address. It seems to be almost something we have accepted as part of our dna with applying elite pressure. But I think that’s a cop out for some of the brain dead stuff we do.

Hopefully we can set some real standards and lift in this space that aren’t silly like changing a baby’s diaper for transgressions.

It should be a super easy fix. Get to work Emma, coaches and players.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
I have fingers crossed it’s something Damien will address. It seems to be almost something we have accepted as part of our dna with applying elite pressure. But I think that’s a cop out for some of the brain dead stuff we do.

I agree it's a problem but I'm not sure the coach is going to be part of the solution.

Seems to me like we have created a mindset inside the club where the officials are the enemy and we are within our rights to lash out because we've been treated so badly.

The little digs Hardwick has, the reported Balme spray at the umpires, even the crowd responses at games all feed it and I think it rubs off on the players. It's like the undisciplined stuff is excused because how else are we meant to react?

We need some leadership to stand up and draw a line in the sand on this stuff. It would be great if it was Hardwick but I'm not sure he is capable. Maybe it needs to come from Gale, he seems like he might be more measured.

I remember hearing Chris Scott say last year that he had made a conscious effort to knock off the dramatics over umpires in the coach's box because he thought it was a distraction for the players. Hopefully we can learn the same lesson.

Reactions: 1 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Funnily enough I didn’t mind when we were winning :cupgold:cupgold, I kind of enjoyed it….
I didn’t enjoy it last year when we lost 5 games by a goal.
It is some thing that they really need to address.

Reactions: 1 user

fastin bulbous

Tiger Champion
Mar 30, 2010
Darwin
Seems to me like we have created a mindset inside the club where the officials are the enemy and we are within our rights to lash out because we've been treated so badly.
Yeh I agree. I am trying to get it out of my thinking too. I want to enjoy watching the footy again.

• Love

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
I agree it's a problem but I'm not sure the coach is going to be part of the solution.

The little digs Hardwick has, the reported Balme spray at the umpires, even the crowd responses at games all feed it and I think it rubs off on the players. It's like the undisciplined stuff is excused because how else are we meant to react?

We need some leadership to stand up and draw a line in the sand on this stuff. It would be great if it was Hardwick but I'm not sure he is capable. Maybe it needs to come from Gale, he seems like he might be more measured.

I remember hearing Chris Scott say last year that he had made a conscious effort to knock off the dramatics over umpires in the coach's box because he thought it was a distraction for the players. Hopefully we can learn the same lesson.
Maybe if SHocking didn't put his dirty hands on manipulation, we'd be better off.

Tiger Pops

Tiger Champion
Apr 22, 2008
Melbourne
We give too many silly 50s away

Out tackling is still "dumb" we lay a good tackle initially - we all say Umpire dropping / holding the ball... and the our player rides him flush in the back on the way down. Dumb !

We still give away too many head high free kicks.

Its not just umpiring that anchors Richmond at the bottom of the free kick ladder. We have some work to do in this space, especially seeing how many close games we lost in 2022!!

Reactions: 3 users

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
Yeh I agree. I am trying to get it out of my thinking too. I want to enjoy watching the footy again.

I must admit for all the back and forth I have with some posters about umpiring, there's a few who I feel really sad for because they must be the most frustrated spectators ever. Within minutes of every game they are worried about umpires. It really must suck the joy out of the game.

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
This is something that we can and should control - I just don’t understand why we don’t learn from our costly mistakes in the past.

It costs us games, changes momentum in matches, distracts and demotivates players and gives the opposition something to rib us on.

We just have to change this because we can.

fastin bulbous

Tiger Champion
Mar 30, 2010
Darwin
I must admit for all the back and forth I have with some posters about umpiring, there's a few who I feel really sad for because they must be the most frustrated spectators ever. Within minutes of every game they are worried about umpires. It really must suck the joy out of the game.
I never bought into any of that until the rule changes and associated reasoning. I think a lot of us were really jaded by it as it coincided with our decline. I may slip back into it come round one though!

• Haha

houstontiger

Tiger Rookie
May 26, 2014
That's a deficit of 2.75 kms! Or about 5 games from Jayden Short...Or about a third of Mount Everest.

• Wow

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
I've gone back and checked out some of the 50s. I can't workout what our frees against are for let alone the 50s.

If you want to see how some clubs are treated differently just look here.

6 players dissenting, we'd get 300m for that and Sidebottom looks like he's having a go at another umpire. But, no problem, that apparently isn't dissent.

Yeah right, what a farce.

GWS should be bringing this up with the AFL and ask for 4 points for the Carlton game.

DS

RoarEmotion

Tiger Legend
Aug 20, 2005

6 players dissenting, we'd get 300m for that and Sidebottom looks like he's having a go at another umpire. But, no problem, that apparently isn't dissent.

GWS should be bringing this up with the AFL and ask for 4 points for the Carlton game.

DS
Two wrongs don’t make a right unless you are the afl commission when it’s always two rights meaning everything is awesome (Lego movie style)

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria

DS
The umpire should have paid 6 separate 50 metre penalties for dissent in the St Kilda v Collingwood example. I bet Coniglio put a foot through the TV when he saw that.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Was extremely disappointed at our lack of discipline with regards to 50m penalties in the practice match.

There are obviously many ways you can win or lose a close match but not giving away dumb 50m penalties can easily be worth one or two goals and make the difference between a home final or top 4 and fifth or even eight and ninth.

Hopefully we can set some real standards and lift in this space that aren’t silly like changing a baby’s diaper for transgressions.

It should be a super easy fix. Get to work Emma, coaches and players.
Nostroaremotion

If nothing changes nothing changes

• Sad