• If you are having trouble logging in to the forum please contact admin@puntroadend.com // When reseting your password or awaiting confirmation please check your junk/spam emails.

Disrespected sports people

Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Watch Houli again closely, the arms are going like a tyre shop mascot. It's at least as big a stage as Dangerfield.
Maybe there's contact with Dangerfield that unbalances him, maybe he turns in mid-air because he knows he's under the ball. Didn't look like there was a free in it to Houli to me, and didn't look like he was staging for one. Just a guy who had to go and didn't have much confidence in his contested aerial ability. Anyway, moot point.

The Big Richo

Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
This argument again. Watch the reply. Rayzor blows the whistle, calls free kick but doesn't say who the freekick is for. It;s incumbant on the umpire to clear signal a free kick. Cotch thought it was his, put his hands up for the ball, Houli threw it to him. Bang 50 for the man who could have won the Birdman Rally with his arms flapping dive.
That got weirdly personal pretty quickly, but ok.

It is there at around the 10 minute mark. He blows the whistle, calls a push and heads to set the mark. He doesn't give the direction of the free which is an error, but if you don't think the onus is on Cotchin to get the ball back to the right person once he hears that whistle then I'm not sure which game you've been watching. He lost concentration and made a basic error, it's a simple as that.

antman

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
That got weirdly personal pretty quickly, but ok.

It is there at around the 10 minute mark. He blows the whistle, calls a push and heads to set the mark. He doesn't give the direction of the free which is an error, but if you don't think the onus is on Cotchin to get the ball back to the right person once he hears that whistle then I'm not sure which game you've been watching. He lost concentration and made a basic error, it's a simple as that.
Not signalling the direction of the free kick and then paying a fifty is unforgivable.

Reactions: 1 user

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Both players thought they had the free. Rayzor screwed up by not calling it. It's Rayzor's mistake that led to what happened. Quite simple.

Trying to blame Houli for the error when he tossed the ball back to his Captain who asked for it when Chimp thought it was his free is just looking to blame our own players for the sake of it.

The umpires ****** this up. Pretty clear to everyone, well, most people.

Reactions: 1 users

The Big Richo

Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
I'm quite surprised you guys are arguing that sorry I didn't realise is an acceptable excuse for a player not to concede a 50.

It's been well over 30 years since there was any leeway for players on this stuff. Drop the ball on the ground, 50, miss the player when you throw it back, 50. There's even been examples of a different player from the same team calling for the ball and it's still be 50 for giving it to the wrong person.

I would happily take any wager that if you asked Cotchin about it now he would say absolutely unequivocally that it was his mistake to throw the ball to someone without making sure it was their free kick. And I would equally happily take double or nothing that had it actually been Houli's kick and a Geelong player had thrown it to Dangerfield, the cry of 50 would have boomed around the MCG.

antman

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
I'm quite surprised you guys are arguing that sorry I didn't realise is an acceptable excuse for a player not to concede a 50.
If the umpire had signalled to Geelong and called "Dangerfield" I would agree 100%. He didn't, and that's his job. That's fundamental. For players to make a mistake after an umpire has just failed at his one job is completely understandable.

Now maybe Cotchin should have asked "whose free kick?", but Razor stuffed-up, plain and simple. Indefensible.

The Big Richo

Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
If the umpire had signalled to Geelong and called "Dangerfield" I would agree 100%. He didn't, and that's his job. That's fundamental. For players to make a mistake after an umpire has just failed at his one job is completely understandable.

Now maybe Cotchin should have asked "whose free kick?", but Razor stuffed-up, plain and simple. Indefensible.
He definitely should have asked. If he had known it was Dangerfield's free kick he would have asked three times.

I'd agree you have a case if not for the fact that in the down the ground you can clearly see Cotchin is looking at the umpire. Given he hasn't seen a signal (I'm discounting hearing anything because it is impossible) then he should assume he has missed it and check.

The umpire signal is wrong but so is Cotchin and his error is greater.

Houli seems to claim the free while he is on the ground as soon as the whistle goes and not even look at the umpire and then starts demanding the ball which alos doesn't help.

DavidSSS

Tiger Superstar
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
That 50 was absolute bollocks, the umpire did not give any indication at all as to who was being awarded the free kick. The stupid maggot blew the whistle, made no signal and did not state who was getting the free. There is no way that should have been 50 because there is no way Cotchin knew who to toss the ball to, all he knew was that a (mystery) free kick had been awarded to someone on the ground. The fact that the same umpire got to officiate the GF is a disgrace.

We all know players milk frees, Dangerfield not only does this but is clearly proud of it. If that is what you respect then so be it, I don't respect such behaviour.

DS

antman

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
He definitely should have asked. If he had known it was Dangerfield's free kick he would have asked three times.

I'd agree you have a case if not for the fact that in the down the ground you can clearly see Cotchin is looking at the umpire. Given he hasn't seen a signal (I'm discounting hearing anything because it is impossible) then he should assume he has missed it and check.

The umpire signal is wrong but so is Cotchin and his error is greater.

Houli seems to claim the free while he is on the ground as soon as the whistle goes and not even look at the umpire and then starts demanding the ball which alos doesn't help.
To me it gets back to the fact that the umpire had one basic job, which is almost the most important of all - clearly communicate his decision to players. He failed to do that.

Reactions: 1 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
It started because the umpire didn't signal the free. Simple really.

Had he signalled the free there would be no argument whatever the result.

The umpire starts the chain. He's in control of the game. It's his responsibility and he failed at it. What happens after that is a direct result of his **** up.

It's not that hard to understand unless you're fixated on blaming a richmond player for what happend.

Reactions: 5 users

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
This argument again. Watch the reply. Rayzor blows the whistle, calls free kick but doesn't say who the freekick is for. It;s incumbant on the umpire to clear signal a free kick. Cotch thought it was his, put his hands up for the ball, Houli threw it to him. Bang 50 for the man who could have won the Birdman Rally with his arms flapping dive.

I know you like to have a dig at us at every opportunity and feel it's your duty to correct us mere mortals, but the simple fact is Rayzor ****** up. Had he done his job and called who the free was for, I doubt Houli would have chucked it to Cotch, nor would have Cotch asked for it.
Nah. Cotch had the ball n Houli claimed it was his free so Cotch immediately threw it to him, probably hoping we could blast out of defence before the Moggies could set up their structures. It was probably one where Cotch should have done the slow down double check as to who's free it was. Just made it easy for Razor to impose himself n strut out the fifty.

TigerForce

Richmond has a better list.
Apr 26, 2004
It started because the umpire didn't signal the free. Simple really.

Had he signalled the free there would be no argument whatever the result.

The umpire starts the chain. He's in control of the game. It's his responsibility and he failed at it. What happens after that is a direct result of his **** up.

It's not that hard to understand unless you're fixated on blaming a richmond player for what happend.
Yep. Razorbrain is too much black and white.

kyuss

Tiger Rookie
May 13, 2012
Disgraceful umpiring decision in the first place and then doesn't signal who the free kicks for. Yep totally cotchins fault. FMD.

kyuss

Tiger Rookie
May 13, 2012
Richo really pisses me off sometimes. After the slo mo replay that clearly shows a dive by dangerfield, acknowledges the free kick.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

hutstar

Tiger Superstar
Dec 17, 2002
Florida
That 50 was absolute bollocks, the umpire did not give any indication at all as to who was being awarded the free kick. The stupid maggot blew the whistle, made no signal and did not state who was getting the free. There is no way that should have been 50 because there is no way Cotchin knew who to toss the ball to, all he knew was that a (mystery) free kick had been awarded to someone on the ground. The fact that the same umpire got to officiate the GF is a disgrace.

We all know players milk frees, Dangerfield not only does this but is clearly proud of it. If that is what you respect then so be it, I don't respect such behaviour.

DS
Hey David, I understand but not sure I’m with that argument. It’s the same one that had Rance torn to shreds and went close with Grimes. I don’t like these guys staging, but if they do I’m not sure it automatically means they’re rotten human beings. So to bring this discussion back to where it started, I’m not sure a bit of floppiness is reason enough for me to disrespect a guy who is, afterglow president of the players association. He’s respected by his peers, I certainly don’t know better than them.

DavidSSS

Tiger Superstar
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Hey David, I understand but not sure I’m with that argument. It’s the same one that had Rance torn to shreds and went close with Grimes. I don’t like these guys staging, but if they do I’m not sure it automatically means they’re rotten human beings. So to bring this discussion back to where it started, I’m not sure a bit of floppiness is reason enough for me to disrespect a guy who is, afterglow president of the players association. He’s respected by his peers, I certainly don’t know better than them.
This is about disrespected sports stars, I disrespect him as a sports star. That's disrespect, not doubting his ability, in fact that makes it worse for me as he doesn't need to dive. At least Rance was pushed in the back, he added mayo, Danger in the PF was bumped from the side, he made the mayo from scratch.

As a person? No idea. Although being head of the players' union makes him better in my eyes.

DS