Do we need to drop one to win the flag? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Do we need to drop one to win the flag?

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
So, it's possible then

While I would never advocate finishing outside the top 4, I've done a bit of thinking about it today and I reckon if we finish 5th, we're still in with a chance. But the catch is Brisbane or Geelong need to finish 2nd and win their first final.

It would go something like this:
Week 1: Rich deaf Port at the MCG
Week 2: Rich deaf Collingwood at the MCG
Week 3: Rich deaf Brisbane at the Gabba or Geelong at the MCG

Bullarto Tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 17, 2012
While I would never advocate finishing outside the top 4, I've done a bit of thinking about it today and I reckon if we finish 5th, we're still in with a chance. But the catch is Brisbane or Geelong need to finish 2nd and win their first final.

It would go something like this:
Week 1: Rich deaf Port at the MCG
Week 2: Rich deaf Collingwood at the MCG
Week 3: Rich deaf Brisbane at the Gabba or Geelong at the MCG

..... then win the big one.
Would like to see that all unfold.
The Tigers could do that, most certainly

Reactions: 1 user

French Tiger

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2004
The problem we may face is to win the flag the only time we could afford to drop one is if we get a top 4 spot , the the first week have the double chance, but even then it would be tough from there if we did drop that one.

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
NO - but if we do I don’t think it matters in the long run - we have the team, form and belief that can take us all the way if we bring our game to every game.

Reactions: 1 users

gold1

Tiger Champion
Feb 24, 2008
My predictor says:

If we beat West Coast by 30+ and the Lions - we play Geelong in week 1 finals

If we lose to West Coast and beat Brisbane - we play West Coast in Perth in week 1 finals

If we beat West Coast and lose to Brisbane - we play Brisbane at the Gabba in week 1 finals

If we lose both - we finish 5th (if GWS beat Bulldogs) or 6th

Whichever way you look at it, beating West Coast this week is a non-negotiable. We don't want to go to Perth
If we beat both WC and the lions,and the lions beat Geelong I think we end up playing the Lions again?

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Dimma on 360 last night: “I think we probably played too well too early last year. We scraped home with a couple of wins. We probably should have lost a couple of games. It probably would’ve been good to get a kick up the backside at some stage. This year I feel we are better placed. I feel we are playing the better brand of footy. I feel our side is more advanced than last year. “

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
This year its totally different from last year. We virtually played the same 22 for entire season.
This year we have seen Stack Balta chol baker lynch Ross all come in.
We lost earlier in the year, thats enough. Time to steam roll them in September.

Reactions: 2 users

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
People forget when we lose we dont just bounce back. It continues the following week too.
There's no bounce at punt rd.
I would be shattered if we lost to Brisbane and even WC are getting cocky thinking theyre the MCG guns.
They struggled to beat a reserves hawthorn side.

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
Dimma on 360 last night: “I think we probably played too well too early last year. We scraped home with a couple of wins. We probably should have lost a couple of games. It probably would’ve been good to get a kick up the backside at some stage. This year I feel we are better placed. I feel we are playing the better brand of footy. I feel our side is more advanced than last year. “

You could see poor old Scotty wriggling in his seat...... was probably the slam shut device on his ring twitching at the thought of running into us again.......hmmm delicious!

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

ToraToraTora

Two outta three ain't bad.
Mar 21, 2005
QLD
There is no way we are playing as dynamic and irrepressibly as the last 7 weeks or so of 2017. IMHO.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
There is no way we are playing as dynamic and irrepressibly as the last 7 weeks or so of 2017. IMHO.

No way? do you mean last 7 weeks up until now? (I guess it must because none of us have a crystal ball) that included a flogging by St K in 2017.

we lost to Geelong at Geelong in the equivalent round 2017. we just beat a confident Carlton in the wet without Cotch and Dusty in the wet 2019 to make it 7 on the trot as opposed to 5 out of 7 2017

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
Last year towards the end, sides were working us out and in the last quarters ( where previously we were so dominant and overpowering ) after the initial 5-10 mins in the last we were beginning to flounder.

Of course you could say sides without nothing to lose took more risks, especially through the corridor and looking back we could have lost to Geelong and the Dogs in the last round to get that kick up our backsides !.

Even when we beat Hawthorn convincingly and many were talking us up , Collingwood had learnt from their previous two thrashings we gave them ( blowing them off the park in the last quarters ) for three quarters they did play well. They came with a plan and we failed to adapt .

Many could say we were cocky, over confident, took some ill ( Astbury ) , injured players in the game (Dusty, Lambert etc ) but once the cross the line and declared fit, it's on.

So in hindsight , of course as we were two games clear . to have dropped one of those or both might have been the catalyst to propel us to a GF but those things we cant be certain of.

We have won now 7 in a row.
Unfortunately as the season is so tight with the Pies close to us we cant afford to drop either game. We cant rely on other sides to do us any favours as they are fighting for a finals birth too.

Destiny is in our hands.

Even though there are some in the media saying its ours to lose we still have to beat WC & Brisbane to shore our top 4 spot and double chance. I dont think we can win it without the double chance and hopefully remaining on the G.

That would make it 9 in a row before the finals begin. That would be a very good streak. I dont know what or who has won more for the year.

If we beat WC & Brisbane the likely scenario is that we could meet again.

Do we go all out guns blazing against these two sides or do we hold some pieces / aces up our sleeves?

Dimma seems a coach who trusts in his system and the way we play and its up to the sides we play to counter us. Against WC & Brisbane things may not go all his way so is he prepared to shuffle the deck chairs to counter.

Selection Thursday will show us ( for this game at least ) if he goes with his system or as he has shown this year through adversary and the side he is up against, whether he picks a side to counter WC height and Brisbane's small forwards.