Do you remember when...? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Do you remember when...?

Lonthalion

Tiger Rookie
Jan 8, 2008
It was a fair few years back and a Richmond vs North. A long ball was kicked to the goal square where *smile* was in a contest against Carey. The ball went goal side of the contest and *smile* punched the ball through for a behind. The field umpire however ran up to over-rule the decision despite being blindsided. Carey then got into the field umpires face and made a goal gesture. Although the goal umpire was so sure of the fist (there was no doubt it was a behind) it was over ruled. I jsut remember Peter Bell laughing his arse off.

Lonthalion said:
It was a fair few years back and a Richmond vs North. A long ball was kicked to the goal square where gaspar was in a contest against Carey. The ball went goal side of the contest and gaspar punched the ball through for a behind. The field umpire however ran up to over-rule the decision despite being blindsided. Carey then got into the field umpires face and made a goal gesture. Although the goal umpire was so sure of the fist (there was no doubt it was a behind) it was over ruled. I jsut remember Peter Bell laughing his arse off.

Wasn't Carey awarded a free kick from the square which he put through (opening 10 minutes, second game against the Roos 1995 under lights)!
If you've posted about the same incident, it was the same night that Brett Allison took a dive in front of goal and sucked the umpire in as well.

We'd jumped tem by about 6 goals, then lost Edwards with a hammy, and a string of crap umpiring decisions brought them back into the game.

The headline in the Herald Sun the next day referred to richmond being overcome by the King (Carey) and the Rulers (Umpires)!

Lonthalion said:
It was a fair few years back and a Richmond vs North. A long ball was kicked to the goal square where gaspar was in a contest against Carey. The ball went goal side of the contest and gaspar punched the ball through for a behind. The field umpire however ran up to over-rule the decision despite being blindsided. Carey then got into the field umpires face and made a goal gesture. Although the goal umpire was so sure of the fist (there was no doubt it was a behind) it was over ruled. I jsut remember Peter Bell laughing his arse off.

Maybe Carey thought the umpire was a member of the Miami or Port Melbourne Police forces ;D

frickenel said:
Wasn't Carey awarded a free kick from the square which he put through (opening 10 minutes, second game against the Roos 1995 under lights)!
If you've posted about the same incident, it was the same night that Brett Allison took a dive in front of goal and sucked the umpire in as well.

We'd jumped tem by about 6 goals, then lost Edwards with a hammy, and a string of crap umpiring decisions brought them back into the game.

The headline in the Herald Sun the next day referred to richmond being overcome by the King (Carey) and the Rulers (Umpires)!
no it was after 1995. I remember that dive, I think it was against Nathan Bower. One of the most unbelievably theatrical dives. Would make Rivaldo proud

Lonthalion said:
no it was after 1995. I remember that dive, I think it was against Nathan Bower. One of the most unbelievably theatrical dives. Would make Rivaldo proud

Yeah it was against Bower, but definitely the '95 game. Lloydesque. Carey got a couple of dodgy ones as well. They were a good side and once they got a sniff, they ran over us.

Sam match, Justin Charles took a mark and ran around an opponent before slotting a long goal; one of my neutral-supporter mates yelled out "Charles in charge!" (after the TV show), which had everyone around us laughing.

Was that the final on the Friday night at the G ? Geez, you wanna talk about sh*t umpiring, that was ineptitude at its greatest.

Redford said:
Was that the final on the Friday night at the G ? Geez, you wanna talk about sh*t umpiring, that was ineptitude at its greatest.

Nah, that was in R19. In the final we were genuinely outplayed by a finals-hardened outfit.