Docklands stadium | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Docklands stadium

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Has anyone seen anything in the media about Docklands stadium being ripped apart and resurfaced this week?

I haven't seen or heard a thing but I've been told it's been done.

Why hasn't Collo been proudly showing off about it on telly?

This week they pulled up the old grass and removed all the sand. The sand hard plasitc crosses all through it which were originally added to stop the sand setting hard. It's now thought they contributed largely to the dodgy hard, moving surface.

A new base has gone in and has been covered with HG turf which is on a woven mat. Then it can be added in wide rolls rather than the little strips of the previous turf.

Previously grass was grown on the ground and the turf used for patching up. All of the surface is turf now so hopefully there will be a more even surface and less injury.

It doesnt really matter what sort of grass they use. The stadium has been designed poorly and will always have problems.

i went on a tour there for school, and i asked about all the turf problems they've had in the past. the tour guide said that the media has it in for them, and that all the problems were just exaggerated. yeh, WHATEVER! look at how many injuries we've had there in the past. campbo, *smile* (i think he got injured at telstra), and dragga last year. thats all i can think of from us. i hate telstra dome with passion

cogs_is_sexy24 said:
campbo, *smile* (i think he got injured at telstra), and dragga last year. thats all i can think of from us. i hate telstra dome with passion

Dragga did his knee both times there.

I think the new surface will do alright, if it evens out the surface it will minimise injuries.

I dont think it was the grounds fault for campbos injury, not sure about Gaspars.

Yeah, smart move doing a rush job on the AFL's "state of the art venue", where the playing surface is built over the top of the reinforcing concrete that makes up the roof of the car park.

The fact that the AFL crack down hard on anyone from the clubs who criticises the surface (look at Demetriou's response to Brisabane earlier this year) means, I think, we hear only a minimal amount of the concerns of the players. Sometimes stats lie, but the number of leg injuries that have occurred on that ground has to be a worry.

Don't expect to hear Craig Hutchinson saying bad things about it again, though, after his suspension after the "death valley" incident.

If I was paranoid, I'd even bring out the c-word - censorship.

cogs_is_sexy24 said:
g0tigers said:
I dont think it was the grounds fault for campbos injury, not sure about Gaspars.

true

just out of intrest Cogs is....
What do u rekkon was the full story with Campbos achiles.
I think his conditioning for an afl captain was a joke.
Too many late nites and amber fluids at the Swan Hotel.

Ox said:
just out of intrest Cogs is....
What do u rekkon was the full story with Campbos achiles.
I think his conditioning for an afl captain was a joke.
Too many late nites and amber fluids at the Swan Hotel.

haha i agree ox!