Domestic Violence | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Domestic Violence

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Thanks to whoever it was who recommended Rosie Batty's book on a different thread. I've just finished reading "A Mother's Story". It disturbed and saddened me. I wonder how much the "system" has improved, if at all, since her son Luke's murder. So concerning that in effect the lack of power to protect anyone, and the loopholes that could be taken advantage of, put people in such extreme risk. So many things went against Rosie and Luke and they paid the ultimate price for it. Tragic and heartbreaking situation. I hope lessons have been learned and the vulnerable can be better protected and advised in future.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
That was me.

its a "great" book. I bought it for my wife and she read it in a day or 2 then I did the same.

It was very close to us as my wife ( and to a lesser extent myself) went through a lot of the experiences she did. Of course our story didn't end like hers.

We are still going through the system but we were just saying yesterday how much better ( but not excellent) the system is.

Back in 2007 the courts, police etc just saw DV as an angry husband venting. "Just get on with it" or "don't make him angry" or "leave the house"

As an example , at the peak of the rage he drove his car through the kitchen. Through the kitchen! Luckily no-one was home, not that he would've cared.

He got a $500 fine....no conviction.

Again as I said to my wife its so unfortunate that Luke had to die like that to get the system to start taking DV more seriously.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
I appreciate it thanks tim. I've lived the life a bit too and it's more good luck rather than good management that I survived...although a very real evil, threat haunts my every day. Mentally deranged, violent people don't operate by the rules and can be extremely unpredictable. The slightest thing can set them off with terrible consequences. AVOs aren't worth the paper they are printed on a lot of the time. As mentioned in the book they can be like poking the bear. I was amazed that Anderson wasn't bound by them because he was clever enough to avoid having them served on him. I've got no doubt the system let Luke and Rosie down.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Was intrigued by a recent recommendation emerging from Swinburne & La Trobe Universities in favour of gender-neutral language in sport. The protagonists suggested that replacing the word “ruckman” with the generic “ruckperson”, and “batsmen” with “bats people”, could somehow lead to a reduction in domestic violence against women. The link between the two wasn’t established in the recommendation.

Would’ve thought rap music with its overt misogyny has an astronomically greater influence in propagating sexist attitudes.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
LeeToRainesToRoach said:
Was intrigued by a recent recommendation emerging from Swinburne & La Trobe Universities in favour of gender-neutral language in sport. The protagonists suggested that replacing the word “ruckman” with the generic “ruckperson”, and “batsmen” with “bats people”, could somehow lead to a reduction in domestic violence against women. The link between the two wasn’t established in the recommendation.

Would’ve thought rap music with its overt misogyny has an astronomically greater influence in propagating sexist attitudes.
I saw a pic of Snoop Dogg with 2 black females chained to him. All class.