DON'T RUSH OUR YOUNG TALLS / LEAVE WALLACE IN CHARGE FOR NOW | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

DON'T RUSH OUR YOUNG TALLS / LEAVE WALLACE IN CHARGE FOR NOW

SPARTACUS

Tiger Cub
Aug 8, 2008
81
0
If this year is to salvage anything it should be the continuing development of players like Riewoldt, Pollo, Nahas, Collins Graham, White, Cotchin, JON, Morton and Hughes, with the support of our senior players they should be given chace to play most of 2009.
All the talk of play the kids is unrealistic most of our untried boys are talls
Putt .......204cm
Vickery....200cm
Rance.....194cm have included him, shouldn't have played till the end of the year
Gourdis...194cm
Post........194cm
Browne....205cm
At best they have had 1 1/2 preseasons all out of 18s footy (Rance 6 WAFL games)
Anyone who believes any of these boys should be thrown into AFL level as key forwards or even rucks knows little about player development. Most of the high profile key forwards drafted in the last 3 years are still stuggling to get a regular game at AFL level.
Jack Hawkins rd 1 (F&S easy rd 1)
Scott Gumbleton rd 1
Josh Kennedy rd 1
Mitch Clarke rd 1
James Sellar rd 1
Ben McEvoy rd 1
Ben Reid rd 1
Lochie Henderson rd 1
Mitch Thorp rd 1
Some of these boys have had stress injuries, that happens to talls if you rush them, let our talls develop till next year when it counts ( maybe play 2 or 3 games against other non top 8 clubs) none of these boys are going to change the clubs fortunes this year, let their current coaches continue their stages of development,
 
SPARTACUS said:
Rance.....194cm have included him, shouldn't have played till the end of the year

Why not? That's a ridiculous statement. had the performances under his belt (best Richmond listed player at Coburg last year ), has the body, and has definitely performed well enough at AFL level to prove he's worth playing at AFL level. He will be all the better for having a decent season at Tigerland this year.

Agree with some of what you say. But throwing the kids in the deep end can also sometimes be a good way to fast-track their development. You can't just say because they have only had a certain amount of pre-seasons they should only be playing VFL. You have to look at players on a case to case basis

Anyone to make this blanket case argument as you have done "knows little about player development..."
 
Extend his contract I say his development of young playes is second to none
 
I don't see any reason why the younger players can't be selected to play AFL if they're ready for it. Cotchin was clearly ready but he's a gun player, Rance next he too shows considerable talent and promise. Collins has played a couple of games, he shows promise.

As for the really big tall's, a lot of them are beanpole like in build, they need to bulk out and that takes a couple of years at least. That said, no reason why the club towards this season's end can't just put one or two of the young talls in for a game, just to give them a taste of AFL and it also gives them the opportunity to see where they are development wise. One or two of these tall's just may put up their hands and show they've got what it takes now so play them for a couple of games then pull them out and put them into a pre season programme for next season early to give them time to develop more so they can play more AFL next season.
 
agree with most of what you've said. the kids need to be given the chance to develop and not just rushed in cos we are going sh!te so we can feel better bout ourselves. they need to be played when it is best for them. (disagree on rance tho- he looked ready.)

also disagree on wallace. i reckon he'll be gone soon. probably even walk this week. ;)
 
SPARTACUS said:
If this year is to salvage anything it should be the continuing development of players like Riewoldt, Pollo, Nahas, Collins Graham, White, Cotchin, JON, Morton and Hughes, with the support of our senior players they should be given chace to play most of 2009.
All the talk of play the kids is unrealistic most of our untried boys are talls
Putt .......204cm
Vickery....200cm
Rance.....194cm have included him, shouldn't have played till the end of the year
Gourdis...194cm
Post........194cm
Browne....205cm
At best they have had 1 1/2 preseasons all out of 18s footy (Rance 6 WAFL games)
Anyone who believes any of these boys should be thrown into AFL level as key forwards or even rucks knows little about player development. Most of the high profile key forwards drafted in the last 3 years are still stuggling to get a regular game at AFL level.
Jack Hawkins rd 1 (F&S easy rd 1)
Scott Gumbleton rd 1
Josh Kennedy rd 1
Mitch Clarke rd 1
James Sellar rd 1
Ben McEvoy rd 1
Ben Reid rd 1
Lochie Henderson rd 1
Mitch Thorp rd 1
Some of these boys have had stress injuries, that happens to talls if you rush them, let our talls develop till next year when it counts ( maybe play 2 or 3 games against other non top 8 clubs) none of these boys are going to change the clubs fortunes this year, let their current coaches continue their stages of development,

Richardson made his debut aged 18 in round 7 and went on to play 14 of the remaining 16 games that year

Brown made his debut for Brisbane in 2000 aged 18 and went on to play finals that year

Kruezer has played straight away for Carlton

Doesn't seem to have hurt those talls.