Downloading advice please :) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Downloading advice please :)

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
I've downloaded a double cd which is too big to burn onto a single cd.

Can anyone tell me how to burn it onto two cd's, or can you buy "double" blank cd's?

I'm a bit new to this but I don't think downloaded cd's list tracks or I might be able to work it out for myself.
I am using WinMX.

Thanks to any kind person who can offer me any advice. :)

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Haha don;t ask technical questions tiga. I don't know. ;D

It's about 150,000,000 whatever they ares.

Geez I'd be like a kid in a candy shop downloading if I had broadband. I just did a search for complete cd's and five and a half thousand came up. :eek:

tiga

New RFC fitness regime under Wallace
Apr 28, 2003
Blue Mountains NSW
Rosy, a few questions..Okay, is the file an MP3??
from what you said, It appears to be a 150 meg file.
How long approx did it take to download via your modem??

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
It says it's an mp3 tiga. (What's an mp3? ;D )

Things take hours and hours to download. My daughter has a heap of punk covers she keeps downloading and I have a few cd's and they just stop and start and change all the time.

One cd I really want has been there for months and every now and again it adds a tiny bit more. I'd buy it but it's not available in shops I've been told. Grrrrr.

tiga

Apr 28, 2003
Blue Mountains NSW
Okay Rosy what you need to do is go to www.download.com and in the search field type MP3 splitter. that should bring up quite a few programs that will break up your large file into individual tracks. Usually go with the most popular result with the best reviews that is free to try.

Good luck and feel free to email me if you need anymore help with this.

Tigerdog

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Hey tiga while you are handing out free advice :D I downloaded a trial Trojan Remover but now it has expired and they wont let me use it again.I am positive I have trojans again and I wonder if you may be able to advise on another downloadable trojan remover.

Cheers ;D

Tigerdog

Tigerdog

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Cheers alley i will do that later tonight :D Thanks for that

I will explain more then.

:)

Tigerdog

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
While you are on a roll maybe you can answer this one for me also??

I bought a reconditioned comp with win2000 on it and ever since i got it i get an error msg usually within a few minutes of connecting to to the internet which the prevents me from clicking certain links, cutting and pasting etc, but othetr that that i can mostly do things as normal...

anyway here is the message i always get

Program Error

SVChost.exe has generated errors and will be closed by windows. You will need to re-start the program.
An error log is being created.

WTF does that mean? :'(

tiga

Apr 28, 2003
Blue Mountains NSW
TD sorry for the belated reply. SVCHost is what controls services running from DLL or Dynamic link Libraries.
With this in mind I would say that one of the services running on your machine has gone belly up. To make things more confusing svchost.exe can be active in multiple instances. I suggest disabling your services one by one and see if stability returns.

As far as trojan removers go symantec.com have a number of free removal tools you could try. Adaware is a great free tool for removing spyware and some trojans. www.download.com should be your first stop for any free software to try. Adaware is there.
BTW what are the symptoms you are having that may suggest a trojan??

If I don't reply tonight, I'll reply from work tomorrow to help you out more as I have a win2k machine on my desk.

Tigerdog

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Thanks alot for that Tiga, you actually almost manage to make me understand it, and thats no mean feat.

Maybe Incd which was added to the pc at the store afterwards is causing this, and if I delete it things may be ok again? But if not ok it may be the fault of another program such as InCD?

On the Trojan sometimes is just to slow and I just get the feeling there is something preventing it all from running smoothly, last time it was like this I had a Trojan.
The Trojan Remover got rid of it but also placed some advertising software on my pc or something so evry now and then an add pops up telling me to go to this site as i am leaking details etc.

Anyway I will download a different one this time, later on this evening.

Thanks Tiga

tiga

Apr 28, 2003
Blue Mountains NSW
No probs TD glad I could help a bit.
When was the last time you did a defrag of the hard drive?? If you say to me never....do it asap. I'm sure it will speed your computer up and fix some issues. Also make sure you download Adaware. I guarantee that it will get rid of all your nasty ads and spyware programs. Most of these are installed by peer to peer programs like morpheus and Kazaa. WinMX is the best P2P program as it has no adware or spyware. I know rosy uses it to great effect! (I still can't get over the 150meg file she downloaded by modem! ??? ;D).
Let me know how you go. 8)

gustiger12

Its Tiger Time
Jan 22, 2003
www.thaigerpics.com
tiga said:
No probs TD glad I could help a bit.
When was the last time you did a defrag of the hard drive?? If you say to me never....do it asap. I'm sure it will speed your computer up and fix some issues. Also make sure you download Adaware. I guarantee that it will get rid of all your nasty ads and spyware programs. Most of these are installed by peer to peer programs like morpheus and Kazaa. WinMX is the best P2P program as it has no adware or spyware. I know rosy uses it to great effect! (I still can't get over the 150meg file she downloaded by modem! ??? ;D).
Let me know how you go. 8)

Tiga a man after my own heart. I downloaded adaware a while ago and it removed a lot of stuff and made a huge difference to my computer speed.

I also recommend a file wall call Zone Alarm which can be downloaded of the net for a price of Course. I also got is partner called Pest Patrol, which found quite a bit of spyware on my computer.

A lot of it was from Kaaza as you mentioned but there were some other nasties living in there as well.

All up Pest Patrol found about 570 odd potential confidentiality compromising files. Needless to say they are all gone now. And the computer is heaps faster again. Almost like a bought one.

AND no I am no computer expert, just like most on here, but have learnt somethings the hard way.

Keep up the good work Tiga

tiga

Apr 28, 2003
Blue Mountains NSW
Well done Gus. Getting rid of spyware is sometimes like taking penicillin, you may have to try a couple of different types to completely get rid of the Bug.

If you are planing to get Windows XP in the near future, it has a built in personal firewall which is pretty good.

B

brownlow2003

rosy3 said:
I've downloaded a double cd which is too big to burn onto a single cd.

Can anyone tell me how to burn it onto two cd's, or can you buy "double" blank cd's?

I'm a bit new to this but I don't think downloaded cd's list tracks or I might be able to work it out for myself.
I am using WinMX.

Thanks to any kind person who can offer me any advice. :)

Try this site Rosy
http://www.mpegx.com/