Draft lists | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Draft lists

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002
Does anyone have a link to the full draft list for each year?

afl.com.au only go back as far as 2001 but I'm after earlier drafts than that.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
I have a list of draft selections from 1986-2001 TF. It's on an Excel spreadsheet so I don't know how to copy it onto here. I can e-mail it as a file if that helps.

pahoffm

No one player is bigger than the club.
Mar 24, 2004
Try this link:

http://afl.com.au/default.asp?pg=draft

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002
That's exactly what I'm after Rosy, save me the hassle of putting it into excel myself. ;D

I've email you a request so if you can reply to that with the file I'd appreciate it.

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
If you could email me that spreadsheet, I'd be mighty grateful, Rosy. I've been building one up manually for a year and I just can't stay at it. :)

pahoffm

Mar 24, 2004
Under-18 titles: Recruiters guide
25 June 2005 Herald Sun

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,15717889%255E19897,00.html

What the recruiters are looking for.
Mike Sheahan
Gerard Healy
Trevor Grant
Round 13 photos
Buckley's return

AFL talent scouts will rank players on a five-point scale (five is "rare", one is "poor") for 14 key performance indicators:

KPI - AFL benchmarks

1. Kicking ability - Nathan Buckley, Nigel Lappin

2. Marking ability - Jonathan Brown, Warren Tredrea

3. Handpassing/vision-awareness - Simon Black, Scott West

4. Clean hands - Andrew McLeod, Luke Power

5. Ball-winning ability - James Hird, Nick Riewoldt

6. Pace - Jason Akermanis, Chris Judd

7. Endurance - Shane Crawford, Cameron Ling

8. Recovery and agility - Matthew Scarlett, Chris Johnson

9. Durability - Jared Crouch, Adam Simpson

10. Leadership and self-discipline - James Hird, Nathan Buckley

11. Aggression, intensity and second efforts - Glenn Archer, Mark Ricciuto

12. Football character - Robert Harvey, Matthew Lloyd

13. Competitiveness - Barry Hall, Aaron Hamill

14. Football smarts - Brent Harvey, Paul Hasleby

... AND WHAT THEY'RE NOT

Players who ...

1: Turn the ball over through poor kicking

2: Lack sufficient pace

3: Have off-field issues that will hold them back

4: Don't always keep their head over the ball

5: Don't play a specific position

THE ONE THEY OVERLOOKED

Brent Harvey (1995 National U18 championships): At the championships in the Albury/Riverina area, Harvey was outstanding for the Victorian Metropolitan U18s yet was largely overlooked in the National draft later that year, eventually going at 47 to North Melbourne.

Nobody doubted his ability but at 170cm he was considered too small. Recruiters also missed his "motor" (running) and heart for the contest.

His career now includes a Premiership medal, E.J. Whitten medal, Jim Stynes medal and club best-and-fairest.

THE STAR WHO DIDN'T MAKE IT

In 1990 at the Brisbane U18 carnival South Australian captain Seb Packer was looked upon as being the complete package.

Tall and strong, Packer had the right blend of athleticism and football nous, not unlike a 17-year-old Vic Metro teenager named Anthony Koutoufides.

He was expected to go high in the draft and become a natural in the AFL, a prediction that went astray when Packer smashed his knee and was never able to recapture his ability.

LOOKED GONE BUT FOUGHT BACK

As SA captain in the 2000 championships Ben Rutten had been identified early.

Big and strong and of excellent character, Rutten was suddenly labelled the championships as being a bit cumbersome and when he badly injured his knee, recruiters dropped off life flies after a spray or Mortein.

But they underestimated Rutten's commitment to making it and after forcing his way onto the Crows' rookie list in 2002 after good form with West Adelaide, he's now a key component of Adelaide's defence.

pahoffm

Mar 24, 2004
Under-18 titles: Players to watch
25 June 2005 Herald Sun

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,15717887%255E19897,00.html

The ones to watch this week.

MITCHELL CLARK (WA).

Missed last year's carnival with a back injury. At 197cm centre half-forward/ruckman who plays senior football for East Fremantle in the WAFL. Early tip for No.1 draft pick.

SHANNON HURN (SA).

The SA captain plays in the midfield or defence and is an equally talented cricketer. A member of Central Districts' premiership team last year.

XAVIER ELLIS (Vic Country).

A talented onballer and half-back for Gippsland Power. Also plays for Melbourne Grammar.

MARC MURPHY (Vic Metro).

A highly-rated midfielder for the Oakleigh Chargers. Son of Fitzroy great John.

MATT CAMPBELL (NT).

Plays in the midfield or as a small forward and boasts terrific pace. Playing senior football for North Adelaide in the SANFL.

(Ed: Matt Campbell had better improve on his game 1 performance.)

pahoffm

Mar 24, 2004
Under-18 titles: Top pick a tough call
25 June 2005 Herald Sun
Rebecca Williams

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,15717886%255E19897,00.html

AFL talent guru Kevin Sheehan says the title of No. 1 draft favourite remains wide open on the eve of the national under-18 titles.
Mike Sheahan
Gerard Healy
Trevor Grant
Round 13 photos
Buckley's return

Club recruiters will be out in force during the championships over the next eight days, searching for the next crop of players to make household names.

The carnival, which brings together the best under-18 talent in Australia, provides an important stage for players to forge their reputations before the November national draft.

Of the players involved in last year's championships, 70 were drafted or rookie-listed.

Up to Round 11 this year, 22 of those players have made their debuts.

But Sheehan said it was harder to predict who was the stand-out of this year's crop.

"I was saying at this time last year that (Lance) Franklin or (Brett) Deledio, whoever plays the better of those two in the championships might well end up No. 1," Sheehan said.

"Deledio (the eventual No. 1 pick for Richmond) had a great championship and made All-Australian and Buddy (Franklin) was a bit up and down and maybe dropped a spot or two.

"This year I'd say it's as open as anything. Any one of a dozen players might end up with that honour later in the year."

One player who almost certainly won't go at No. 1, despite impressive credentials, is Vic Metro midfielder Marc Murphy.

Murphy, whose father John captained Fitzroy from 1973-77, is likely to go to Brisbane as a third-round pick under the father-son rule.

Victoria's draft hopefuls will step into the spotlight when Vic Metro and Vic Country begin their campaigns at Optus Oval tomorrow.

Vic Metro, which has won six of the nine Division One titles since 1996, is the defending champion.

Sheehan said the fight for the Division One crown was very even, but Western Australia's under-16 form could not be ignored.

"The guide is quite often the under-16 form at national championships," he said. "WA has won the last two at under-16 level and many of those players are pushing through. They've got an impressive list on paper."

pahoffm

Mar 24, 2004
Under-18 titles: Next generation takes centre stage
25 June 2005 Herald Sun
Jon Anderson

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,15717885%255E19897,00.html

THEY might bury it deep in the back of their subconscious, but every recruiter has one: a horror story about the one that got away.
Mike Sheahan
Gerard Healy
Trevor Grant
Round 13 photos
Buckley's return

The kid who slipped under their guard, on whom they didn't do quite as much homework as they could have.

That's why they will be armed to the hilt when the 10th national AFL under-18 championships begin at Optus Oval today.

Things weren't so calculated 17 years ago, when legendary junior coach Ray "Slug" Jordon was coaching Victoria's only side in what was then the Teal Cup.

They were the days when the team had to be picked a week ahead and one of Jordon's players was suffering from a corked thigh.

Jordon put the teenager through a hastily arranged fitness test at the MCG.

"We picked one of the emergencies and I gave them 10 one-on-ones in a row, kicking the thing everywhere," Jordon recalled this week.

"I knew we had made a selection mistake when the emergency kept bringing the `*smile*' ball back – he beat him 10 times straight."

The emergency turned out to be dual All-Australian Michael Mansfield, who played 219 games with Geelong and Carlton.

"Michael is still `*smile*' shitty with me for not picking him, but the other kid was better suited to the muddy conditions," Jordon said.

"But, you know, I can't even remember the other kid's name."

AFL national talent manager Kevin Sheehan was there that day, and says he still recalls the expletives ringing around the MCG as Jordon realised his mistake.

"He said something like, `Can't we get the `*smile*' doctor to declare this bloke with the cork isn't fit enough so we can get that `*smile*' Mansfield into the team'," Sheehan said, laughing.

Sheehan has been involved with junior footballers since he was made VFL development manager in 1984, two years after his 102-game career with Geelong ended.

In that year he saw a couple of kids from the country named Stephen Silvagni and Garry Lyon come through the system, which was then under-17s.

"The competition had gained momentum in 1981 after the South Australians won three in a row," Sheehan said. "It was a time when transfer fees were a contentious point and the SA people were complaining about us taking their best players.

"In 1981 the two teams met in the final at Waverley as a curtain-raiser to the Collingwood-Hawthorn game which pulled a crowd of 93,000.

"The Vics just won and a couple of years later they actually flew Tony Lockett to Darwin for a Monday under-18 game after he'd played for St Kilda seniors on the Saturday."

Victoria was declared too strong after it won seven of the eight titles from 1981-88.

Victoria Country was born and, with Jordon coaching, won the title in its first year, boasting players such as Leon Cameron, Wayne Campbell and Chris Grant.

pahoffm

Mar 24, 2004
Under-18 titles: Goodrem's brother born to try
25 June 2005 Herald Sun
Nikki Tugwell

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,15718735%255E19897,00.html

AS THE brother of an international pop superstar, it would make sense of Trent Goodrem looked up to Robbie Williams or Justin Timberlake.
Next generation
Top pick hard call
Players to watch
Recruiters' guide
Program
Round 13 photos

Dream: Trent Goodrem in action.
Picture: Colleen Petch

But the younger brother of Delta Goodrem has posters on his wall of Sydney defenders.

"Being a halfback flanker I like watching Tadhg Kennelly," Goodrem said yesterday. "Or Craig Bolton, who is really hard and really tight and does all of the team things, I really love that type of player."

Goodrem will play for NSW-ACT today in the national under-18 championships.

He said he wasn't treated any differently because of his famous sister. "I used to try and get her out in the backyard for a kick," he said.

(Ed: Just another junior footballer.)

pahoffm

Mar 24, 2004
Preying agents blasted
26 June 2005 Sunday Herald Sun
Jackie Epstein

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,15730332%255E19897,00.html

YOUNG players should be given better protection from overbearing player managers, according to several TAC Cup coaches.
Kevin Sheedy
Round 13 photos
Buckley's return

Gippsland Power coach Paul Hudson has called for stricter governance and a rule prohibiting any advances being made by managers before the national draft.

"I just think these influences don't help the kids when they're trying to make a career out of it," Hudson said.

"There are a lot of good managers out there, but they work on the theory, first in best dressed.

"I don't think the player managers really understand how hard a year it is for these kids, and then they're feeding them information telling them they're possibly better than what they are as if they've already made it.

"The manager's not going to get them drafted. Leave the kids alone until the end of the season and then the managers have got the right to chase them."

There are about 60 accredited player agents.

On draft day there are usually as many agents as players in the room.

Last year the No.1 pick Brett Deledio had signed with Anthony McConville mid-year.

Hudson said he was speaking from first-hand experience, having felt the pressure of being the son of a famous father.

Eastern Ranges coach John Lamont, Murray Bushrangers coach Xavier Tanner and Bendigo coach Mark Ellis agreed with Hudson.

"I hate it," Lamont said.

"They should keep out of it and let the kids just focus. There's no need for it and it's just a distraction so I don't think there should be contact until after the season."

Ellis said it was not ideal and the general feeling was that prospective managers should be made to wait until the end of the year.

Tanner said: "It's a matter of policing it better."

pahoffm

Mar 24, 2004
Under-18 titles: Fighting for a dream
26 June 2005 Sunday Herald Sun
Jackie Epstein

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,15728746%255E19897,00.html

IF you need a footy fix on this AFL-free afternoon, solace can be found at Optus Oval.
Kevin Sheedy
Round 13 photos
Buckley's return

Talent display: Vic Metro hopeful Myles Krakouer, son of former player Phil, and teammate Daniel Hayes.
Picture: John Krutop

That is where the best of this year's young talent will be on show as state under-18 teams engage in battle.

Saints recruiting manager John Beveridge says reputations can be built around performances at the carnival, but this year's outstanding youngsters have yet to announce themselves as draft priorities.

"There are a few who are shaping up," he said. "It might be that the bloke that's picked at No.10 might be as good as the bloke picked at No.2.

"So this carnival is going to be, for recruiting people, a pretty important revelation.

"Those that stand up and play well against their peers, they're the ones that you think, `Gee whiz, he's a better player than I thought he was' or `He really has blossomed through this carnival, so we'll give him a couple of ticks whereas he only came in with one tick'."

Some of those who have stood out so far – such as Jay Neagle and Marc Murphy – are likely to be snapped up under the father-son rule by Essendon and Brisbane respectively.

Neagle has been Gippsland Power's full-forward all year, averaging five goals a game. Essendon recruiting manager Adrian Dodoro likes what he has seen.

"He's a talent, that's for sure," he said. "An extremely shy kid who shows enough. The championships will give us a better indication."

Gippsland coach Paul Hudson, who has 12 players in the Vic Country squad, said Neagle was a natural.

"He's a pretty shy character, but can read the play, leads very well as a forward and knows when to use his body," he said.

"He's got excellent hands and shows all the attributes. He still needs to physically develop, but I can't ask for any more from him."

Dodoro, who has seen an average of six games live each week this year, believes he has yet to see the No.1 pick.

"It's so open now and we're hoping there'll be a lot of surprises and a lot of boys put their names forward," he said.

AFL national talent manager Kevin Sheehan rates Western Australia as the team to beat.

"In terms of the favourites, it may well be Western Australia that starts favourite against the might of the Victorian Metro," he said.

"They meet on the first day of division one matches, and Western Australia – on the basis of their under-16 form in the last couple of years – looks to have assembled a very, very promising squad."

The carnival ends with the division one final next Sunday at Optus Oval.