Draft pick value of our potential trades | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Draft pick value of our potential trades

Rfc4Ever

Tiger Legend
Oct 5, 2007
Footy, like life never stands still. Its bittersweet that we are such a dominant side now we'll lose some good players, players that would have been, and some have been, a walk up start for us not long ago, and would be for most other sides. In the olden days of huge lists, and patience, you'd be happy to have them learning their trade and toughening up in the seconds until a posi opens up.

Trade value is a vague beast. A player can be traded for overs or unders as we all know, based on things like facilitating a trade the player wants, looming deadline and the need to get someone off the books, the pick the the destination side has in their mitt etc etc.

Forget all that, what do you think the players who might leave us are worth? All things being equal. Pick a single digit number, not a range, so we can have a nearest the pin for interest.

for me

Brando 19 (this is a different beast, we have little control over it, but there it is)
McIntosh 29
Menadue 34
Butler 33
Moore 45

IMO

Ellis 25ish
Kmac 35ish
Menadue 50ish
Butler 38ish
Moore late pick over 50

Ice

Tiger Superstar
Jul 18, 2006
Pretty Close to the mark

Brando 39 Compo Pick
Butler 56

Comp pick is not trade value. It includes a component of equalisation. If Richmond finished last, the compo would have been pick 21.

Also, the compensation is not linear, it is in bands. Brando was determined to be in the Band 3 but on the cusp of Band 2. Band 3 is second round aligned to your ladder position. Band 2 is end of second round. If Brando's new contract had another $10,000 in it, the compensation would have been pick 20.

This is why compo picks cause so much angst. Punters forget the equalisation and band component which can be significant. It is a stupid system that creates confusion.

Last edited:

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Pretty Close to the mark

Brando 39 Compo Pick
Butler 56

Well done. Most of those players weren't getting games for the Tigers. Regardless of being premiers you can't expect players , some of who really aren't even carving up the reserves, to attract high draft picks.

wigglyworm

Tiger Matchwinner
Jan 22, 2008
Comp pick is not trade value. It includes a component of equalisation. If Richmond finished last, the compo would have been pick 21.

Also, the compensation is not linear, it is in bands. Brando was determined to be in the Band 3 but on the cusp of Band 2. Band 3 is second round aligned to your ladder position. Band 2 is end of second round. If Brando's new contract had another $10,000 in it, the compensation would have been pick 20.

This is why compo picks cause so much angst. Punters forget the equalisation and band component which can be significant. It is a stupid system that creates confusion.

In reality if you asked for a reasonable trade value for Brando I think most would agree 39 would be in the ball park. Understand that the compo has its "Magic formula"

Ice

Tiger Superstar
Jul 18, 2006
In reality if you asked for a reasonable trade value for Brando I think most would agree 39 would be in the ball park. Understand that the compo has its "Magic formula"

I think 39 is at the high end of the ball park.

Band 3 compensation has a range of 21 to 39. We could have received 21 if we finished last. We got 39 because we finished first.

HPN put the range at 13 to 39 with fair value of 22. This is based on statistical output.

Personally, I think middle of second round - about 29.

We will never know his true trade value. As we have seen during this trade period., not even clubs can agree on a player's worth.