Draft prospects 2019 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Draft prospects 2019

James

Tiger Rookie
Sep 11, 2016
That just can’t possibly be right. I cannot believe that the AFL would engage in such duplicity. Can’t believe that they will take that course.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

thomas the tiger

Tiger Superstar
Apr 17, 2004
You don't flip picks because you are worried that the new draftees get worried that they aren't going to get a chance. Who are we recruiting? Losers that want an easy life?

You flip picks if you have minimal list spots and if you feel you can get a better return in a following year. Next year has a high number of academy / fs prospects so we'd be in a good chance of getting higher up the order. Its not to do with worrying if draftees will become disillusioned with not getting a game.

I want to flip picks to get a top 5 pick down the track or a stash of low picks in a future year when a rebuild may be required. This wealth of assets will not last for ever.

My concern is that currently a player added to our list via pick 18,19 38,39 would struggle for senior opportunities due to our emerging depth. CCJ, balta, Ross, stack, naish egg smith, Collier-Dawkins, Higgins etc

I know there are numerous examples of star players picked at 18,19 38,39 ( roughly our selections) but realistically they are going to be depth players at best

Our elite talent. Martin, Cotchin, reiwoldt, rance, Lynch, Prestia will need replacing in 3/5 years and we’re originall picked at the pointy end

I would be seeking scenarios such as
1) targeting a top 5 draft pick. Eg. trading pick 18;19 38, 39 for a st Kilda pick 6 as an example or a future first rounder to a likely bottom club
2) flipping 18, 19 for a future top 10 pick. , flipping 38, 39 for a future low second round.

Would love to be in position say in 5 years time we either had multiple picks inside 20 for a rebuild or access to a top 5 pick.

Reactions: 1 users

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
My concern is that currently a player added to our list via pick 18,19 38,39 would struggle for senior opportunities due to our emerging depth. CCJ, balta, Ross, stack, naish egg smith, Collier-Dawkins, Higgins etc

I know there are numerous examples of star players picked at 18,19 38,39 ( roughly our selections) but realistically they are going to be depth players at best

Our elite talent. Martin, Cotchin, reiwoldt, rance, Lynch, Prestia will need replacing in 3/5 years and we’re originall picked at the pointy end
Apart from a small handful of elite, most young players need three years in the system to be able to perform reasonable and consistent level at AFL standard. If we're looking to replace our stars in a few years, we need to have the replacement kids starting now. Not trying to swap picks around to stock pile for future use.

Wouldn't exactly be calling the likes of Kelly, Pickett, Lambert, Stack early first round picks. There's plenty of damn fine to premium quality talent that gets by passed and over looked for various reasons every year at AFL level.
Smart clubs would learn how to put as much time n effort into sifting through the left overs to find free gold n diamonds. These players are often more mature n ready to go within one pre season. Saves spending three years or more hoping n praying the 18 year old kid you used an early pick on can take that final step to become a good senior player.

blx

Tiger Champion
Feb 11, 2004
Melbourne
So has our 40 been bumped back to 41 now with the Tomlinson Trade to Melbourne?

and who are the players around this section of the draft that we will be looking at???

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
I haven't finished my 30. Just haven't got round to it.

My favourites at our first are Fischer McAsey, he may be around. If he is jump. Dylan Stephens - pipe dream. I'm such a fan.

Those two are long shots. The next three I think are more realistic.

Deven Robertson, Josh Worrell and Cooper Stephens.

Reactions: 4 users

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
I've started digging around the second round picks we have now as it looks like what we have now, we will keep.

The first thing is that I just saw Ed Langson go to Melbourne for pick 22. I reckon Jay Rantall is that type and who I would compare him too. He's scrappy by foot but not terrible. Is super brave and will run all day. Smashed the 2km record at the combine. I've spoke about him on here before, basketball background, heaps of improvement. Our program will suit him. I could even see him being a small defender in the future. Definitely one I want to grab.

Would be interested to see what Bully thinks of him if he was around.

Letsroar

Tiger Superstar
May 19, 2014
From someone who has no chance to see the potential draftees I too miss Bully’s input

Keep up the good work Scoop

MB78

I can have my cake and eat it too
Sep 8, 2009
I've started digging around the second round picks we have now as it looks like what we have now, we will keep.

The first thing is that I just saw Ed Langson go to Melbourne for pick 22. I reckon Jay Rantall is that type and who I would compare him too. He's scrappy by foot but not terrible. Is super brave and will run all day. Smashed the 2km record at the combine. I've spoke about him on here before, basketball background, heaps of improvement. Our program will suit him. I could even see him being a small defender in the future. Definitely one I want to grab.

Would be interested to see what Bully thinks of him if he was around.
I asked you about him. I think he will be ideal. Can also win his own ball.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Medium sized WAFL forward Ben Sokol is well worth consideration. He's 23 and 186cm's and has kicked 150 goals the last 3 seasons, he's a very good mark, and has the attributes to play down back as well.
Sokol kicked 6 goals in the WAFL Grand Final.
He'll get drafted for sure, has good pace and is a good mark, we could do a lot worse if we use a 3rd round pick on him.

Reactions: 1 user

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
Interesting that Sokol has shone in the WAFL GF.
does he make it as a medium forward?
At best he is a Dickson or Lloyd type.
Not the type I would be rushing to pick

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004

Doesn't fit our mould of two talls and everyone else with electric pace.

That's what makes me think Cody Weightman will be right in the mix for us at 19. Has got every trait we value on and off the ground.

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
agreed on Sokol. First requirement is speed.
And the mid-sized forward spot is like the MCG car park - reserved for Dusty

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
as for Weightman he certainly fits our approach. attack on the ball and defensive pressure. Plus mates with Higgins and has the attitude to be prepared for AFL.
BUT is it a reach for a non-midfielder?
Up to pick 25-30 I would want someone who played mid in juniors, at least part time.
Higgins and Bolton are the examples.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Scoop whats your thoughts on Harrison Jones?
Long term as a defender

Big tall lean lad. Not sure he ends up heavy enough but for his size he is such an athlete he definitely gets a shot.

Slight bit of Harris Andrews to him. Closing speed and ability to get his fist to the ball is really good.

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
to my untrained eye he looks like he will fill out.
We need Leysy to give a professional assessment!

If he has speed then I am in

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
I can't disagree with you about him as medium forward.
He's has good pace, is a good mark and kick.
He's a good player who has the scope to play other positions.