Draft prospects 2019 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Draft prospects 2019

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Yeah, with a change in roles at work I’ve watched less than normal. I would piggy back of some of Bully’s work.

Watched all the games once but haven’t zeroed in and refocused. Will say there’s heaps of outside types and pace. Not sure there’s the complete inside class mid outside the top three. I have Rowell, Anderson and Green my top three. I really like Luke Jackson. Raw but at times shows Nic Nat impact in the ruck with multiple efforts when the ball hits the ground. If we have two picks in the first round ( Brando compo) I’d take him.

Brando would be 2nd round compensation IMO, anyway without Bullus I am just in the hands of the Phantom Draft boys and the Bio's they put out :( , the first being Callum Twomey's.
With Balta now being groomed as a key defender, (he is about 196cm), do people still believe a tall defender is priority no 1?
Our 1st pick without trading up the draft order will be in the 15-20 range.

Based on Callum Twomey's July Phantom Draft link below:

The best key defender in draft is the 195cm Fisher McAsey but is predicted to go in top 10.
195cm 74kg Josh Worrell Twomey has going at 11 has played back/wing and forward, (seems more of a hybrid type).

These are unlikely to be available at our pick.

So do we go best available talent, (i would), or go for needs which is someone, that maybe in time, can play on the monster 200cm forwards? If the latter we might have to reach for a project player with our 1st pick which is always fraught with danger, (McBean comes to mind, not a 1srt round pick but you know what i mean).

That player could be Sam De Koning which Cal has rated pick 24 in his top 30, he is 200cm and 85kg

Early doors but let the discussions begin.

Did I say I am going to miss Bullus:(

Last edited:

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
I've only caught bits of this champs so not up to speed on the kids. I like De Koning, especially if he has grown to 200cm.

taztiger4

Shovelheads- Keeping hipsters off Harley's
Jul 13, 2005
Richmond Victoria
Brando would be 2nd round compensation IMO, anyway without Bullus I am just in the hands of the Phantom Draft boys and the Bio's they put out :( , the first being Callum Twomey's.
With Balta now being groomed as a key defender, (he is about 196cm), do people still believe a tall defender is priority no 1?
Our 1st pick without trading up the draft order will be in the 15-20 range.

Based on Callum Twomey's July Phantom Draft link below:

The best key defender in draft is the 195cm Fisher McAsey but is predicted to go in top 10.
195cm 74kg Josh Worrell Twomey has going at 11 has played back/wing and forward, (seems more of a hybrid type).

These are unlikely to be available at our pick.

So do we go best available talent, (i would), or go for needs which is someone, that maybe in time, can play on the monster 200cm forwards? If the latter we might have to reach for a project player with our 1st pick which is always fraught with danger, (McBean comes to mind, not a 1srt round pick but you know what i mean).

That player could be Sam De Koning which Cal has rated pick 24 in his top 30, he is 200cm and 85kg

Early doors but let the discussions begin.

Did I say I am going to miss Bullus:(

The underage kid from WA withe the hyphenated surname looks the goods in the backline, ineligible this year though

Denver Grainger-Barass, one to keep an eye on

Don’t Argue

Tiger Superstar
Jun 22, 2019
Do all the junior watchers get harassed off these boards or are they over sensitive to criticism? I wish they’d all come home.

Fischer McAsey for vic metro sounds the standout defender in the afl site article. In my opinion we need to grab the most talented tall defender with our fist pick if possible or manoeuvre up the order a bit to secure him.

A talented tall forward and ruckman are also on my shopping list (maybe a marquee tall forward and defender over 2 drafts) with inside mids at other picks.

I am open to more midgets if we circulate some out such as Aarts and Buttler. They are easy pickings (and easy to fit into a shopping bag, maybe we could purchase by the kilo)

McAsey must be our priority. Trade down into a lower pick.
Has wonderful judgement in the air and strong body positioning. Not sure on his athletic traits but looked good intercepting and running off his man a couple of times

Reactions: 1 user

Don’t Argue

Tiger Superstar
Jun 22, 2019
If the Ignore Button had of been alive and well last year Bully would still be here, a shame some idiots spoilt it for the rest

Bully had some strong personal opinions. Not everyone agreed.
Not sure calling them idiots is really fair.
He’s certainly very informed and indeed missed.

Last edited:

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Bull

Bully had some strong personal opinions. Not everyone agreed.
Not sure calling them idiots is really fair Caesar.
He’s certainly very informed and indeed missed.

Of course I am not calling everyone who disagreed with him an idiot that would be ridiculous, there would be no need for a Forum if everyone agreed and there was no room for robust debate. Personal attacks, (at least in Bullies eyes), is another matter.

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
Well, feel free to let him know that the forums have an ignore function. Shame that if someone got personal that lead to a good contributor to disappear.

Reactions: 3 users

Letsroar

Tiger Superstar
May 19, 2014
Those of us who can’t watch the juniors will miss Bully this draft season

Some of the comments last season definitely weren’t warranted. In my view no place for personal attacks Spirited debate is good

Reactions: 4 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003

Some of the comments last season definitely weren’t warranted. In my view no place for personal attacks Spirited debate is good
I'm certainly missing Bully, he put in an enormous amount of time and effort into providing us an insight into prospective players.
This time last year there were 10 pages on the upcoming draft, this year there's 3 pages with very little content.
Come back Bully.

Last edited:

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
was playing KPD, not sure of his height
Thanks. A quick google search had him at 186, but it must be old. My mistake.

17/04/2002 | 192cm | 77kg
From AFL DRAFTCENTRAL
#36 Denver Grainger-Barras
The bottom-ager was excellent in defence for the Sandgropers, often thwarting many of Vic Country’s attacking forays. Stationed at centre half-back and opposed to Elijah Hollands, Grainger-Barras accumulated 13 possessions and took eight marks, while Hollands gathered 14 possessions but failed to kick a goal.

Denver Grainger-Barras
Another bottom-age tall who will hold the West Australian side in good stead for next year, he has some neat defensive and offensive attributes. He killed a contest at half-back with a great spoil across the line, and proceeded to be an intercepting defender throughout the game, saving a number of dangerous forward entries by dropping into the hole. Most importantly, he remained composed under pressure and looks like a promising prospect for next year, pushing up the ground to kick inside 50 at one stage late in the game.

James

Tiger Rookie
Sep 11, 2016
Like the look of the Westrrn Australian ruckman
Jackson. In 3 or 4 yard can see him in partnership with Cameron-Jones and Chol.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Coleman Jones ??
the spell checker is red-hot now. Im having to go back and edit just about every time to correct spell checks. I wonder can one turn it off?

haven't watched any 18 champs, but I should have a pretty comprehensive report of the 15's in a couple of week;)

Reactions: 1 users