Draft prospects 2019 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Draft prospects 2019

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
To get into the top 3 of the draft we would have to offer up one of Reiwoldt, Martin, Cotchin, Rance, Grimes, Lynch, or our 1st pick with either Vlaustin, Astbury, Nank, Prestia, Lambert. Too expensive in my opinion, we’re not that desperate

Agree. It's only something you would look at if someone wanted out.

Still warming on Luke Jackson, he can win his own footy and link up in general play.

blx

Tiger Champion
Feb 11, 2004
Melbourne
The silly season has started earlier than norm this year. All this claptrap across the forums about us trading out quality for a Top 2 pick is irrational because the cost is too high. Get what we can for sunsetters, cloggers and surplus (even if it means moving up a couple of rungs) and use the picks to grab more good kids! Doesn't cost an arm or a leg and we keep our A-Graders!

Reactions: 3 users

BillyJean17

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2009
melbourne
I agree TM,we’re Richmond not Hawthorn, take tough list management decisions but not at the expense of players who have made us what we are.

Back Matty Clarke to get us the next Jack Ross/Sydney Stack without selling our Soul.
Agreed I’m not a fan of hawthorns list strategy , yes they’ve remained competitive however 4 x R1 picks for
O’Rourke
Wingard
O’Meara
Isn’t a great return
I think Ross most def has the capacity to develop into an A grade talent , look forward to seeing him back

Midsy

I am the one who knocks.
Jan 18, 2014
London
We could get into the top 3 but we would have to offer up someone like Cotch or Rance. With Gold Coast looking for experienced players it could be possible

Houli might be the quarterback Hodge type they’re after.

Tigerfan

Roar Power
Apr 28, 2004
Gold Coast (SE - QLD).
Brodie kemp
Highly rated tall mid 193 cms
Ticks a lot of boxes
Unlikely to be available to us.

But then ruptures the ACL.
Won’t play until late season next year
He could fall to us.
I say : invest and grab him.
We aren’t desperate for 17 yo kids to step straight into our AFL team anymore

Reactions: 1 users

nswtiger

tiger army tiger army!! thank you very much
Feb 14, 2005
Nrth NSW
Brodie kemp
Ticks a lot of boxes

He could fall to us.

totally agree with you tigerfan

re: Brodie Kemp

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Brodie kemp
Ticks a lot of boxes

He could fall to us.

If he's at our pick, I would do it for sure. If I'm GWS with Tom Green coming in, that second first rounder from Essendon would be used on Kemp.

blx

Tiger Champion
Feb 11, 2004
Melbourne
I'm after a left footed inside/outside mid or two.

IMHO midfielders are a dime a dozen at least more available than tall defenders.

We need to start finding a quality tall backman to replace an aging Rance which is why I would like to see us use our first pick on the best Tall KPB.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Thats McAsey I think but he is also likely to be nabbed in the top 12 from what little I've read.

But I dont know anything about the kids in the draft.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
The Cotch injury does it for me. It's another mid first. No doubt.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Spotted a goodun for 2022 at the u15 champs. I dont think its ethical to name kids, but theres a victorian bottom age forward who is 10cm smaller than the 2nd smallest kid at the carnival, but in his head, sometimes he thinks hes wayne carey and sometimes he thinks hes Liam Ryan. He is very, very crafty. Never sits still. He prowls endlessly. Tackles a full steam ruckman front on, kicks absurd eddie betts goals and literally recreated liam ryans mark over max gawn (i reckon this kids was better)
Any genuine junior watchers interested in putting him in a database pm me.

Reactions: 1 user

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
The Cotch injury does it for me. It's another mid first. No doubt.
well there is a surprise! :D
I know that you,ve had the mid mantra for years, while the club was picking slow flankers and project jons. Agree its crucial to continue picking mids every year.
The list is well balanced so I,m aiming for a mid (must do under 3s for the 20m) or a key position if quality, but not if its a reach

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
well there is a surprise! :D
I know that you,ve had the mid mantra for years, while the club was picking slow flankers and project jons. Agree its crucial to continue picking mids every year.
The list is well balanced so I,m aiming for a mid (must do under 3s for the 20m) or a key position if quality, but not if its a reach

Lol good call.

We have pick 33 & 37 we can get two good mids there as well. Do think it’s kind of a light year for key position players.

fastin bulbous

Tiger Champion
Mar 30, 2010
Darwin
I like the sound of the athletic 200cm defender Sam De Koning and that Kemp fella or the best slider with our pick 19 and pick 21 (Ellis compo)

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
pick in the 30s are ideal for mids, of the dependable workhorse variety.
Parker, Jack Graham etc.
Each year there are young kids who throughout 16s 17s and 18s were finding the footy.
Dont expect Sydney Stacks but pick a very good footballer.
1. proven bwa
2. hard workers
3. competitive streak

with 33 and 37 we can stock up.

Look at how gws roll out replacements when a mid goes down

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Most of GWS mids though are first rounders or wouldve beeen first rounders

Taranto, Kelly, Coniglio, Whitfield, Hopper, Bonar, .Greene, Hately, Deledio.

Then look at who has left that were all first rounders.

Devon Smith, Treloar, Shiel, Setterfield, Scully, Tyson, Ahern, Griffin, Luke Power and Taylor Adams.

Nearly all of their midfielders since their inception have been first round players in the draft apart from Perryman, De Boer and Ward.

Last edited:

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
its true the gws players were picked in the first 25. thats not the point, its the idea that a deep midfield group provides great coverage across a season.
picks 25 to 40 are best used on footballers who performed strongly through the underage competitions - invariably these are mids

D85

///
Nov 22, 2004
coburg
Cooper Sharman from Oakleigh Chargers will be worth a look too, pure footballer but raw, this year's Sam Sturt in that he is coming from nowhere (only joined the Chargers program half way through the season) to rocket up the draft calculations

Reactions: 2 users

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
So I’m halfway through my deep dive of the draft and I’m utterly baffled.

For the first time in forever, I don’t like a draft. At all. I’m almost in favour of trading our first and just running with the two second rounders plus the Ellis compo pick. It’s such a crap shoot after the top 5, we can still get quality with the three second rounders.

The issue is, I don’t think we will have cap space to trade in quality ready made players. So that means future picks.

Or, you trade into the top five, But I don’t like standing pat.