Draft prospects 2019 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Draft prospects 2019

FistFullOfDollars

Tiger Rookie
Dec 16, 2009
So I’m halfway through my deep dive of the draft and I’m utterly baffled.

For the first time in forever, I don’t like a draft. At all. I’m almost in favour of trading our first and just running with the two second rounders plus the Ellis compo pick. It’s such a crap shoot after the top 5, we can still get quality with the three second rounders.

The issue is, I don’t think we will have cap space to trade in quality ready made players. So that means future picks.

Or, you trade into the top five, But I don’t like standing pat.

I like the look of Trent Rivers. Seems like an underated player. Reminds me of Vlastuin only Rivers is more of a midfielder. Plays the Richmond way.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003

For the first time in forever, I don’t like a draft. At all. I’m almost in favour of trading our first and just running with the two second rounders plus the Ellis compo pick. It’s such a crap shoot after the top 5, we can still get quality with the three second rounders.
So that means future picks.
Maybe it's only because there's not much discussion on these threads regarding this years kids, but I don't seem to be hearing or seeing much in the media regarding this years crop of draft kids either this year. Might be on the money Scooper, trade out of this years first round n grab a double hit in next years first round could be ideal.
We've got a fairly good group of youngsters currently developing so a possible three second rounders this year plus two first rounders next year could be well ahead of the curve.

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
which clubs would be up for a future trade?
Gold coast, Carlton (after the crow trade they will be looking for a good news story)
St Kilda (have 1 pick in top 50 and need juniors but not much to trade with)
The problem with these trades is its a lopsided trade - our pick 18 for next years 3-10.
Essendon and Collingwood dont have a first round puck so may be open for a trade, but it needs to benefit us.

It is the academy picks that might entice a club to trade, either GWS for Green or someone next year.
FWIW I would be trying to snare Green

blx

Tiger Champion
Feb 11, 2004
Melbourne
Lets ride the wave while its here.

All those crap indecisive years of picks to this huge vein of gold now.

Keep drafting them in while we're on a roll!

It wont last forever. ;)

yandb

Tiger Champion
Mar 24, 2004

The issue is, I don’t think we will have cap space to trade in quality ready made players. So that means future picks.

Or, you trade into the top five, But I don’t like standing pat.
Exactly what don't you like about the draft scoop?

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Exactly what don't you like about the draft scoop?

I think the top 5 are very, very good (Rowell, Anderson, Green, Ash, Young) then after that I reckon it's a raffle down to 40.

It's the year to have lots of second rounders. We have our second round pick, the Gold Coast third 39ish and the Ellis compo pick if he goes as expected. That's three good picks. Not sure pick 14-18 is much different. Trade it for next years first.

We don't need A grade talent now that is 18. I'd trade for a pick next year or for ready made talent but I don't think we have the cap space to get in the Brad Hill type. Get more picks for next year.

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
so you,re hoping that pick 18 2020 is better value than pick 18 2019.
I,d have no problem if the club did it, assuming it doesnt affect picking MJR (and Caesar's reports is he isnt likely first round atm)

thomas the tiger

Tiger Superstar
Apr 17, 2004
Posted a similar thread about trading our picks for future picks. We have great depth and rookies to upgrade we should be trading out to have a great set of picks in a future year or a blue chip pick in coming years.

If we have 18,36 and Gold Coast 39. How many points is that. Could be worth a pick 6 to 10 in next years draft. Would the hawks go for it as they need to replace some older players

At any rate I would possibly try and do this for several years to stockpile some lower picks to try and some blue chippers

BrisTiger24

Out: Chimp In: Camel
Oct 16, 2003
Brisbane
Watching Worpel tonight. There will be another one available.
I think the top 5 are very, very good (Rowell, Anderson, Green, Ash, Young) then after that I reckon it's a raffle down to 40.

It's the year to have lots of second rounders. We have our second round pick, the Gold Coast third 39ish and the Ellis compo pick if he goes as expected. That's three good picks. Not sure pick 14-18 is much different. Trade it for next years first.

We don't need A grade talent now that is 18. I'd trade for a pick next year or for ready made talent but I don't think we have the cap space to get in the Brad Hill type. Get more picks for next year.

Scoop, where do you reckon Flanders goes? He is the type that may drop (e.g. Worpel). Solid inside mid. One reason for us to keep our first?

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
Remember we have this years first rounder in RCD to debut next year so we are effectively stockpiling and developing our first rounders into our system instead of postponing or trading away our first rounder for a year later (if that makes sense)

It’s a good strategy I think.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Remember we have this years first rounder in RCD to debut next year so we are effectively stockpiling and developing our first rounders into our system instead of postponing or trading away our first rounder for a year later (if that makes sense)

It’s a good strategy I think.
We have so much young talent. Naish would be a regular in many teams, turner CCJ and RCD would be getting games but we can now afford to develop them. However I am a great believer that you can never have enough talent. The question only remains do we need our early pick to get it? I have no idea but we seem to be doing ok without one, the last top 10 pick we had was maybe Nick Vlastuin? The last one we had we traded for Prestia.

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
Hawthorn are a good case study. They've traded away top draft picks which was fine when the stars were there, but now there are gaping holes.
We seem to have a better /deeper crop of youngsters. Also Lynch buys us time to replace Jack. Overall the list is well balanced.
Ideally we get more elite juniors but thats mostly top 5 material which is a pipe dream
If Scoop and the club think that its a solid but not elite draft then I,m ok to trade

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Watching Worpel tonight. There will be another one available.

Scoop, where do you reckon Flanders goes? He is the type that may drop (e.g. Worpel). Solid inside mid. One reason for us to keep our first?

Worpel is a classic. Bully was very Bullish about him on here. Same types will be available this year.

Flanders is your classic either way footballer. Could be a mid who rests forward or could be a forward who has the run on the ball. Could go either way. Definitely can win a clearance now. But doesn’t spread that well. But put him in the forward 50 and 1 on 1 he can be magic. Will be interesting to see how he tests. But he wins clearances and is competitive.

Reactions: 1 user

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Worpel is a classic. Bully was very Bullish about him on here. Same types will be available this year.

Flanders is your classic either way footballer. Could be a mid who rests forward or could be a forward who has the run on the ball. Could go either way. Definitely can win a clearance now. But doesn’t spread that well. But put him in the forward 50 and 1 on 1 he can be magic. Will be interesting to see how he tests. But he wins clearances and is competitive.

So can he be a star diddly ar?

Reactions: 1 users

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
So can he be a star diddly ar?
I’m not sure either way.

If I was looking to find the next Worpel later in the draft I would use one of our second rounders on Cooper Stephens. Broke his leg in round 3 but looked every bit a top 10 pick before that. Similar story to Jack Ross.

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
Twomey gives Cooper Stephens a wrap.
"He's hard and tough and brutish around the ball and some clubs viewed him as a first-rounder before the injury."
Is he quick?

D85

///
Nov 22, 2004
coburg
Dylan Williams will be a slider I reckon, lots of injury problems throughout the season, match winner when fit. Was very highly rated coming into the season but hasnt performed as expected and I know some clubs see him as a late 20's pick now