Draft prospects 2019 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Draft prospects 2019

D85

///
Nov 22, 2004
coburg
He's also injured at the moment and would definitely be available at our picks, absolute match winner. Stevie J type in that he is laconic, but has a very good game sense and rises to big occasions

fastin bulbous

Tiger Champion
Mar 30, 2010
Darwin
It just occurred to me that given west coast may grab Kelly, they will need to offload a couple. I have been vocal on trusting our draft process, but any ideas on who/if we would target? I’ve heard brander discussed on here a bit.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Our two second rounders, assuming we get Ellis compo pick, plus the GC pick have me up and about.

Reactions: 1 user

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Our two second rounders, assuming we get Ellis compo pick, plus the GC pick have me up and about.

Hypothetically, if we got an end of 1st for Ellis and traded that and our 1st to the Saints for their 1st (which will probably end up being 20 and 21 - hopefully we win the premiership - for Pick 7).

1 - Would you do it? Are the talents in that 5-10 area that much better than a bit later in the draft
2 - Or would you be happier to have 2 picks around Pick 20 to play with?

Which scenario would you think would be best for us?

fastin bulbous

Tiger Champion
Mar 30, 2010
Darwin
Hypothetically, if we got an end of 1st for Ellis and traded that and our 1st to the Saints for their 1st (which will probably end up being 20 and 21 - hopefully we win the premiership - for Pick 7).

1 - Would you do it? Are the talents in that 5-10 area that much better than a bit later in the draft
2 - Or would you be happier to have 2 picks around Pick 20 to play with?

Which scenario would you think would be best for us?
The latter for me poshman. The elite talls seem to be rated around that late 1st early second area. We did well with balta and ccj a couple of years ago and I’d like to see a tall defender and goal kicking forward selected with those picks. We have proven ability to pick gems from later in the draft and a development system second to none so I’ll back our recruitment team.

In my opinion we need to keep circulating options for every line and upgrading/ trading out as we get improved options. More outside runners may be required to replace Houli, Ellis and Kmac in the next few years. I am also feeling pretty pissed off with our under performing small forwards. I believe we need to recruit 2 more options to replace Buttler, aarts, Weller who I’d kaput and put pressure on the limp Rioli, overly flashy shai and nervous George to keep them honest. Maybe a midget wrangler to get their heads out of their arses might be a good idea too.

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
you've got time Scoop. The next 2 weeks :)
looking forward to it

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Luke Partington a cert to get picked up after winning the Magarey Medal. At 22, he's plug and play. If I'm the Gold Coast, he's a target.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Worpel is a classic. Bully was very Bullish about him on here. Same types will be available this year.

Flanders is your classic either way footballer. Could be a mid who rests forward or could be a forward who has the run on the ball. Could go either way. Definitely can win a clearance now. But doesn’t spread that well. But put him in the forward 50 and 1 on 1 he can be magic. Will be interesting to see how he tests. But he wins clearances and is competitive.
More interested in Flanders, has played very little football. Was a state basketballer at 16. Oodles of improvement. On my list for pick 18.

MB78

I can have my cake and eat it too
Sep 8, 2009
More interested in Flanders, has played very little football. Was a state basketballer at 16. Oodles of improvement. On my list for pick 18.

Sounds like you are also describing Jay Rantall. What are your thoughts on him?

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
Luke Partington a cert to get picked up after winning the Magarey Medal. At 22, he's plug and play. If I'm the Gold Coast, he's a target.
Liam McBean, was also honoured after winning the 2019 Ken Farmer Medal by kicking 46 goals throughout the minor round.
;):p

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
2018 season - delisted by eagles.
"south Australian product Partington is hopeful of a lifeline after averaging 25 disposals and a goal in 17 games for East Perth and finishing in a three-way tie for the Royals' best and fairest. "

yandb

Tiger Champion
Mar 24, 2004
Trading up this year unless it is for a top four pick may not deliver good value.

Knightmare on another site rates picks 5-30 a fairly even spread as far as talent goes so if you have picks 19 & 20 take them to the draft.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Medium sized WAFL forward Ben Sokol is well worth consideration. He's 23 and 186cm's and has kicked 150 goals the last 3 seasons, he's a very good mark, and has the attributes to play down back as well.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Sounds like you are also describing Jay Rantall. What are your thoughts on him?

Don't mind Rantall, haven't watched him enough yet to be definitive. Disposal by foot can be scrappy but he has great footwork in traffic. Already knows how to win the footy despite inexperience and has natural footy smarts. In this draft he could go anywhere between 15 and 50. I have him in the mix for our second/third round picks.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
When I do my top 30, I won't be including detailed summary of these guys cause I think they are going to go in some order ahead of ours but this is how I rank them. I'll keep adding to this post as I go. From pick 6 will be how I rank them then I'll talk about who I like at our pick.

1. Matt Rowell - Reminds me of a better Luke Shuey.
1a) Noah Anderson- Midfield Jayden Stephenson.
3) Tom Green- Poor mans Josh Kennedy/ Patrick Cripps
4) Hayden Young - Love him to bits. Better version of Jordan Clark at Geelong.
5) Lachlan Ash- same as Jordan Clark from Geelong.
6) Caleb Serong- I'm not a huge fan. Reminds me of Jack Higgins.

Opens up after this but I reckon this is the top 6. Anything could happen from here but I have them this way.

7. Luke Jackson - 198cm/ 93kgs/ 29/09/2001- I’m a huge fan. Not for us as we are stocked for rucks but I haven’t been this excited about a ruck since Grundy. Not the same ceiling but close. Basketball background. There’s a piece of play in the last quarter versus Vic Country. Frist two minutes. He competes in the ruck, wins the hitout, ball hits the ground, back in the contest, wins a ball in traffic and blind turns in a second and handballs perfectly. The thinking and ability to execute are so good. Plays like an extra midfielder but could end up a center half forward. Reminds me of Corey McKernan at worst. Last four weeks of Colts after the champs.

Round 15, 22 touches, 2 marks, 3 tackles, 41 hit outs
Round 17, 25 touches, 4 marks, 1 tackle, 36 hit outs
Round 18 24 touches, 2 marks, 1 tackles, 27 hitouts, 1 goal.
Round 19, 16 touches, 4 marks, 31 hitouts 2 goals

If I’m Freo with two top 10 picks after the Hill trade, I take him.

8. Sam Flanders- Gippsland Power/Vic Country | Inside Midfielder/Forward
24/07/2001 | 182cm | 81kg

I’ve gone from thinking this boy is the next Robbie Gray to thinking he’s a man without a position, a poor mans Christian Petracca. Has magic, has power, has the ability to do the incredible, one on one in the 50 he’d make people nervous. I think the underrated thing about him is his use by foot, super damaging. Also has a basketball background and it shows by how good he is in tight at creating space in a marking contest or in a pack. Curious to see how he tests at the combine, if it is average he could be around at our pick but I doubt it. After his four goal first half and 27 disposals (16 contested), nine clearances and seven display I think clubs will have the midfield box ticked. I’ve come around.
Won’t last till our pick.

9. Dylan Stephens- 183cm/70kg. Already playing seniors at Norwood at 70kg. Norwood don’t push kids through, you earn your stripes. You can be outside but you can’t be soft. But at his own age level he slices through traffic at pace and wins loose balls with one touch and penetrates with a raking left foot. Just looks a footballer. Look at these finishes against men. One of them shows him starting in the centre square at SANFL level.

Think deluxe classier Tom Phillps. Bit of Stephen Hill about him. Bit of Josh Kelly even. In modern footy you can’t get enough of this type, runs all day. If he does well in the 3km trail, I could see top 7.
He’s my favourite outside of the top 6. Here’s some more.

10 Fisher McAsey – 195 cm 91 kg – Will get a lot of Aaron Naughton buzz. Can play both ends of the ground. If the draft was five years ago, he’d go top 5. For a big guy he reads the game really well peels off at the right time. Not a Balta type athlete but not far behind. Can close space so quickly. Perfect type for Hawthorn. Perfect key position for modern footy.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users

D85

///
Nov 22, 2004
coburg
NAB League GF on tomorrow at 1pm, Ikon Park. On foxtel too. Going to be some ripping talent on display

Reactions: 1 users